Transactional Drafting class to prepare for SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
punkyg0608

Bronze

Transactional Drafting class to prepare for SA?

Post by punkyg0608 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:52 pm

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've already loaded up on credits this semester, but I just got off the waitlist for a transactional drafting class. I have a 2L SA this summer, and my thought was that I have plenty of experience with litigation assignments (memos, complaints, briefs) but zero transactional experience. I would hate to be assigned some transactional project this summer and have no idea how to handle it. But this class is offered every year, so I only want to take it now if it will help me this summer. Do you think it's worth cramming it into my schedule? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

p1arnold

New

Re: Transactional Drafting class to prepare for SA?

Post by p1arnold » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:19 pm

I doubt you will need it, because attorneys generally treat summer associate assignments with the assumption that you know nothing. That said, if you know nothing about transactional law and take this class, I am sure you'll feel more comfortable if assigned anything dealing with a contract of any kind.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:13 pm

I loved my contract drafting course. Learned some stuff that made me a slightly better sumer.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:38 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've already loaded up on credits this semester, but I just got off the waitlist for a transactional drafting class. I have a 2L SA this summer, and my thought was that I have plenty of experience with litigation assignments (memos, complaints, briefs) but zero transactional experience. I would hate to be assigned some transactional project this summer and have no idea how to handle it. But this class is offered every year, so I only want to take it now if it will help me this summer. Do you think it's worth cramming it into my schedule? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
This will help you, if anything, as a full time associate. You won't be drafting anything of importance as a summer that won't be looked at at least a dozen more times by people more senior to you and under the assumption that you don't know what you're doing in the first place.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:50 am

Guide to transactional drafting as a summer/first year:

Step 1: Find the precedent document.
Step 2: Change names/dates/dollar amounts etc.
Step 3: Run document comparison.
Step 4: Send to more senior associate for review.
Step 5: Run changes and do another document comparison to latest version.
Step 6: Repeat steps 4 and 5 until done.
Step 7: Profit.

Boom. Just saves you a class.

treeey86

Bronze

Post by treeey86 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:01 pm

2nd year attorney here - transactional practice.

I found taking a contract drafting course was immensely helpful for summer assignments. Yes, you can rely on precedents, but having a basic understanding of the anatomy of a contract and basic drafting principles will prepare you to have smoother conversations with those reviewing your work. Depending on how the course is structured, you generally pick up a lot of the lingo and shorthand as well which will serve you throughout your career. These classes tend to be easier to get a good grade in than others as well, though they are usually more time intensive

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”