Disabled veteran = minority?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Disabled veteran = minority?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:28 pm

So as a middle class white male I'm curious if disabled veteran status classifies one as a minority for hiring purposes.

To clarify, I have 3 combat deployments and a list of mental/health conditions that resulted from them such as TBI/PTSD, back injuries, knee injuries and all the other fun things that come from numerous IED explosions hitting a vehicle. Obviously I have verification for both my military service, and VA records for my disabilities, though I'm not sure this is really needed.
My main concern is how do employers look at this? Would I be out of place at a minority job fair or would I be viewed as a diverse candidate? So far I haven't received a straight answer and I'm curious if anyone has any insight into this.

gdane

Re: Disabled veteran = minority?

Postby gdane » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:01 pm

First, thank you so much for your service to our country.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that you'd be considered a minority. You could Possibly be considered diverse because of your experiences though.

Have you looked into government positions? Your vet preference may help you out a bit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 pm

You may not get a minority boost but your service and disability are extremely compelling reasons to hire someone.

In my past two jobs (small law), I am sure that if an applicant was qualified, they would get an extra look due to the disable vet status.

Liam

Postby Liam » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Probably not "diverse" in a traditional sense, but for many firms (at least around the DC area) it can serve as a basis for a similar bump.

Return to “Legal Employment”