Prisoner's Dilemma

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Prisoner's Dilemma

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 pm

I need some advice:

I graduated last year top 10% from a TTTT. I have no debt, no spouse and no kids.

I currently have a good commercial litigation job and make 90k a year. However, I am extremely unhappy because I hate the small redneck town where I currently live and work.

I am licensed in CA and am taking WA this Feb.

I want to move to Seattle but my TTTT will do nothing for me there and from what I hear, the market is absolute shit. I used to live in Seattle and have decent connections but nothing solid employment-wise at the moment.

I really am not happy living in my current town and the urge to GTFO is eating away at my sanity.

Part of me is saying: take the risk, I well in LS, I consider myself tenacious (no debt in LS), I was able to find a good a job despite the TTTT and shit market, and I have no student loan debt - what is there to lose?

On the other hand I realize that it's incredibly stupid to walk away from 90k a year for extreme uncertainty and a terrible job market.

Opinions?

mushybrain

Re: Prisoner's Dilemma

Postby mushybrain » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:41 pm

I sure as hell wouldn't do it. It seems like a 90k/year job is what you have to lose.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Why can't you apply for jobs in Seattle while continuing to work at your current job?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:52 pm

mr. wednesday wrote:Why can't you apply for jobs in Seattle while continuing to work at your current job?

Yea this is what I thought at first.

I say do it man. You have no debt, no family, nothing tying you down. Your happiness is worth more than money. Being unhappy and miserable about where you live can have a lot of negative consequences for your mental and emotional well being. Think about what you really want. Now make it happen.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:18 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DKM

Postby DKM » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:20 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
mr. wednesday wrote:Why can't you apply for jobs in Seattle while continuing to work at your current job?

Exactly. In fact, this is what I am doing right now. I stay in touch with friends at my desired firms, with friends that work in my desired field, and with friends that work in my desired city. I apply to a handful of positions a month. At the same time, I keep my current job so I can avoid a resume gap, learn legal skills, and save up cash. You should do the same.

Do what these guys suggest.

Also, how did you manage to score your current job?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 pm

I don't think you're any more likely to get a job in Seattle if you quit your job and move there than if you just apply for jobs from where you are. Maybe actually less likely, since you're currently employed and presumably desirable, instead of unemployed and desperate.

And this is not the Prisoner's Dilemma, incidentally.

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:30 pm

How is this a prisoner's dilemma?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:How is this a prisoner's dilemma?

Presumably he's heard the phrase but doesn't actually know what it is.

presh

Postby presh » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Hipster but Athletic wrote:How is this a prisoner's dilemma?

Presumably he's heard the phrase but doesn't actually know what it is.

That's what wikipedia is for.

and to OP: I agree that it is probably best to start applying while at your current job, but don't hold your breathe. Seattle is an incredibly insular market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:40 pm

OP here.

Thanks for the input.

My current boss is very understanding of the situation. He is a friend of a friend and originally offered to give me some temp post bar work which turned into something permanent. He is also letting me take time off next month to prepare for the WA bar. I am going to look for jobs while I work but it is hard as I live several states away from Seattle.

I really enjoy my current job but I know if I stick around I will end up stuck here which is exactly what I do not want to happen.

I have a decent amount of cash saved up to get me through a few months. I am just worried that I will move up there and won't find anything except for 20 hours of doc review a week for $15 an hour.

I eventually want to hang a shingle in Seattle but I don't think I could pull it off right away with such little experience and no mentor in Washington.

re the title - You are correct. When I posted I thought it meant something other than what it actually means. It has been a long time since Econ 101.

Liam

Postby Liam » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:re the title - You are correct. When I posted I thought it meant something other than what it actually means. It has been a long time since Econ 101.

Prisoner's Dilemma is a Game Theory concept, not precisely Econ.

DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING??????

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:15 am

gdane wrote:

Yea this is what I thought at first.

I say do it man. You have no debt, no family, nothing tying you down. Your happiness is worth more than money. Being unhappy and miserable about where you live can have a lot of negative consequences for your mental and emotional well being. Think about what you really want. Now make it happen.

Return to “Legal Employment”