Is Pennsylvania a hardass when it comes to C&F? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is Pennsylvania a hardass when it comes to C&F?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:28 pm

How would they handle non-academic (behavioral/moral) misconduct while you're IN law school?

Conduct in question rage-fueled harassment and profane outbursts at others at the law school. thankfully nothing got physical, but i was kind of a total bitch, and feel bad about how out of hand i got. have been treated by a psychiatrist on a regular basis after said conduct occurred (late aug/early sept 2013). during the time of said conduct, i was on a psychotropic medication that has irritability/mood swings as a side effect (strattera), and was recommended to be taken off of it. Not on it since Oct, and doing better, grades-wise and behavior-wise.

Rehabbing myself through counseling and a doing shitton of pro bono work at various legal aid agencies. have accumulated ~230 hours already and volunteered full-time thru winter break (will do the same for spring break)

No debt. T30ish school.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daryldixon

Bronze

Re: Is Pennsylvania a hardass when it comes to C&F?

Post by daryldixon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How would they handle non-academic (behavioral/moral) misconduct while you're IN law school?

Conduct in question rage-fueled harassment and profane outbursts at others at the law school over a grade/class. thankfully nothing got physical, but i was kind of a total bitch, and feel bad about how out of hand i got. have been treated by a psychiatrist on a regular basis after said conduct occurred (late aug/early sept 2013). during the time of said conduct, i was on a psychotropic medication that has irritability/mood swings as a side effect (strattera), and was recommended to be taken off of it. Not on it since Oct, and doing better, grades-wise and behavior-wise.

Rehabbing myself through counseling and a doing shitton of pro bono work at various legal aid agencies. have accumulated ~230 hours already and volunteered full-time thru winter break (will do the same for spring break)

No debt. T30ish school.
Is this conduct on your permanent record?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:48 pm

daryldixon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How would they handle non-academic (behavioral/moral) misconduct while you're IN law school?

Conduct in question rage-fueled harassment and profane outbursts at others at the law school over a grade/class. thankfully nothing got physical, but i was kind of a total bitch, and feel bad about how out of hand i got. have been treated by a psychiatrist on a regular basis after said conduct occurred (late aug/early sept 2013). during the time of said conduct, i was on a psychotropic medication that has irritability/mood swings as a side effect (strattera), and was recommended to be taken off of it. Not on it since Oct, and doing better, grades-wise and behavior-wise.

No debt. T30ish school.
it's on my school record, and of course i will frankly disclose EVERYTHING and show a ton of remorse.

crim record clean as a whistle. not even traffic violations.

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
daryldixon wrote:

No debt. T30ish school.
it's on my school record, and of course i will frankly disclose EVERYTHING and show a ton of remorse.

crim record clean as a whistle. not even traffic violations.
I would contact a C&F lawyer and be thoroughly honest about the situation. No one on here can tell you how the state deals with these situations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:57 pm

will the pro bono work make a difference w/r/t rehabilitation? i was interested in PI, so I know it is good to have that on the resume on the jerbs front, but will it also be a plus on the c&f front?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:59 pm

dean that punished me told me that PA is not a particularly hardass state a la FL, but i wanted to hear personal perspectives from those pennsylvanians who have gone thru the c&f ordeal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:will the pro bono work make a difference w/r/t rehabilitation? i was interested in PI, so I know it is good to have that on the resume on the jerbs front, but will it also be a plus on the c&f front?
My bar form had a paragraph for you to explain your actions. You can mention the pro bono work in the context of your misdeed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:33 am

but will they care? will it be a mitigating factor?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:34 am

If your school didn't kick you out, you are probably fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:39 am

Desert Fox wrote:If your school didn't kick you out, you are probably fine.
no, i am on a status called "university probation":

University Probation is the highest level of probation status, which remains in place for a specified period of time. University Probation indicates that similar or more severe violations of the Code of Student Conduct while on this status will result in the mandatory imposition of a suspension or dismissal from the University, the length being a minimum of the balance of the semester or one full semester. University Probation is a serious matter. While on University Probation, certain privileges may not be available to the student based upon the discretion of the hearing officer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:43 am

are you being sarcastic, DF? the above description sounds pretty darn awful.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:are you being sarcastic, DF? the above description sounds pretty darn awful.
I wasn't being sarcastic, but that does sound a lot worse than I was assuming.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:12 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:are you being sarcastic, DF? the above description sounds pretty darn awful.
so with that new info, you think it will be an automatic bar to my admission? :oops:

lesson of the story: words can hurt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:13 am

Will your school certify you for the C&F portion?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am

thewaves wrote:Will your school certify you for the C&F portion?
once the status automatically expires, which is may 2014.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
so with that new info, you think it will be an automatic bar to my admission? :oops:

I doubt it's going to be an automatic bar, but it's probably going to be a pain in the ass. Get a C&F lawyer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:22 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I doubt it's going to be an automatic bar, but it's probably going to be a pain in the ass. Get a C&F lawyer.
by how long would it delay my app? you barred in PA?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:29 am

You are definitely fucked. Suicide is the only option.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:29 am

in addition to counseling, new meds, and pro bono work how else to mitigate damages and show rehabilitation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:30 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:33 am

dean said it would most likely not be an auto bar either, and even said, "pa is a lenient state". still, paranoid as f*ck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:00 am

BUMP, any PA bar takers here? what is the hearing like?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:55 am

Desert Fox wrote:You are definitely fucked. Suicide is the only option.
DF, joking about suicide is NOT constructive and NOT OK. There are folks on the Vale thread who legit want to kill themselves. :(

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BUMP, any PA bar takers here? what is the hearing like?
Honestly, you need to hire a lawyer to help you with this process. Get a recommendation from the bar association. If the Dean is willing to be supportive, that should help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:26 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BUMP, any PA bar takers here? what is the hearing like?
Honestly, you need to hire a lawyer to help you with this process. Get a recommendation from the bar association. If the Dean is willing to be supportive, that should help.
a state bar ass'n? or is a city bar ass'n (or minority oriented one) OK?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”