worth it to finish bio bachelors degree after law school?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
victortsoi

worth it to finish bio bachelors degree after law school?

Postby victortsoi » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Slightly below median at a T60. No debt though. I am wondering if spending the year or year and half part time to finish my bio degree could be worth it. Is there any patent work I can do with a BA? I am not looking for big payoff right away, but a career start.
Hopefully/realistically, I'd be finishing this degree part time while doing doc review or whatever I can network myself into.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: worth it to finish bio bachelors degree after law school?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:48 pm

victortsoi wrote:Slightly below median at a T60. No debt though. I am wondering if spending the year or year and half part time to finish my bio degree could be worth it. Is there any patent work I can do with a BA? I am not looking for big payoff right away, but a career start.
Hopefully/realistically, I'd be finishing this degree part time while doing doc review or whatever I can network myself into.

Thanks.

If you are patent bar eligible w/o the degree (based on #of science credits) you may want to check Loyola patent law interview program...

--LinkRemoved--

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:54 pm

If it is a year, I would really not mind putting a BA or BS next to my resume....

anonymous2012

Postby anonymous2012 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:41 pm

I think you want to do the bare minimum to get patent bar eligible and pass that. No advantage to putting the BA on your resume IMO, especially in biology.

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:47 pm

victortsoi wrote:Slightly below median at a T60. No debt though. I am wondering if spending the year or year and half part time to finish my bio degree could be worth it. Is there any patent work I can do with a BA? I am not looking for big payoff right away, but a career start.

Thanks.

A BS in bio is a pretty undesirable IP degree. If you don't know you want to do this work, I wouldn't waste the time or effort.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:45 pm

The only possible reason to do it is if you find a job that requires you to be patent eligible. Having a BS in biology will do virtually nothing to make you more attractive to most IP employers. If you were finished a degree in CS or EE, that would be another story, but a BS in biology won't do much for you, unfortunately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The only possible reason to do it is if you find a job that requires you to be patent eligible. Having a BS in biology will do virtually nothing to make you more attractive to most IP employers. If you were finished a degree in CS or EE, that would be another story, but a BS in biology won't do much for you, unfortunately.

This is relatively true. If you want to do patent law with a biological focus, you almost certainly need at least a masters, but preferably a PhD in the field. A lot of patent firms will explicitly indicate they want applicants to have a PhD, so you'll miss out on a lot of interviews for that reason alone. If you lack a graduate degree in the field, whether or not you have a bachelors in biology will matter relatively little. More emphasis will be placed on your law GPA, work experience, internships in fighting for the jobs for non-masters/doctorate applicants.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:45 pm

kneedrag wrote:

Thanks.

A BS in bio is a pretty undesirable IP degree. If you don't know you want to do this work, I wouldn't waste the time or effort.

True. A PhD in bio is a very desirable degree, though. CS/EE/ME will also be quite desirable regardless of a graduate degree. I've spoken to a lot of hiring professionals, attorneys, and others in the field, and if you have a bio background with a PhD, employers will be fighting for you as long as you have decent law school grades. Just a BS in bio, though, will put you in a tough position in fighting for these jobs.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:48 pm

I have to take one class to be patent bar eligible, and probably 6 months-1 year part time ot finish the BA/BS. I am very lucky in that I don't have any law school debt either. I don't mind a slow career start. If a bio degree can get my foot into some sort of door, it would be worth it for me.

Less desirable and useless are different...will it really be impossible to get a job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:25 pm

A B.S. in biology is USELESS for a patent attorney. You will be clueless when reading a biology patent. If in doubt, search on-line for a biology-related patent and read it yourself. It is in English. Just not in B.S. English.

Human competition. If most of your peers are Ph.D.'s, you have to be a really special B.S. degree holder to survive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:18 am

I wouldn't waste your time on a BA or BS in biology. It's literally worthless for IP prosecution. You will lack the fundamental knowledge to interpret patents. Plenty of my class mates have BS in biology and none can find any IP jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:A B.S. in biology is USELESS for a patent attorney. You will be clueless when reading a biology patent. If in doubt, search on-line for a biology-related patent and read it yourself. It is in English. Just not in B.S. English.

Human competition. If most of your peers are Ph.D.'s, you have to be a really special B.S. degree holder to survive.

I think this really depends on what you did with that BS... I have a BA in Biology (not sure why its a BA at my undergrad school) with a minor in Chemistry but I worked in very well regarded genetics labs basically on the same stuff the post docs did for four years. I can assure you that I know more about a lot of the new technologies in biotech than many of the PhDs from 15 years ago etc. Also, half of my bio credits were from masters courses anyway.

That said, most of my work experience has been in software so I try to emphasize the bio part less anyway, and I'd really rather do corporate than IP...

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Part of the key to understanding bio-patent hiring is that PhDs are a club of sorts. If you don't have a PhD, you aren't in the club. The firm can't market you as being in the club. If a client looks at your bio and a competitor's bio, and they see a PhD on the competitor's page, you probably lose that round. Your actual knowledge may be useful in practice, but it won't be useful in either hiring or marketing. A BA/BS in biology is a tough sell. I had multiple job offers with a BA/BS in Chemistry, and a friend of mine from the same law school (with a BS in bio) with much better grades and more patent prosecution experience is having a very difficult time finding work. He was no-offered at one firm where he worked for not having a PhD (sounds like an excuse, but it isn't; all of their bio people have PhDs).

Getting the BA/BS in biology will be a red-flag for non-patent practice groups, and not having an advanced degree will be an almost insurmountable obstacle for patent prosecution. At best, you'd be OK for patent lit, but realistically you don't need the degree to do IP lit in the first place.

Return to “Legal Employment”