Casual "informational interview" with firm not hiring 1Ls

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Casual "informational interview" with firm not hiring 1Ls

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:03 am

Firm is not hiring 1Ls.
They want to meet in a casual environment (ie: lunch) for me to ask THEM questions. I'm guessing this is an informational interview.
First is it worth scheduling?
Second, should I also prepare for a "real" interview? Bring resume? Prepare for real interview questions ("what is your weakness", etc.)?

Also, interview clothes?

Re: Casual "informational interview" with firm not hiring 1Ls

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:04 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:20 am

Wear a suit. Prep for some interview questions, but mostly prepare questions to ask them. If you know who you'll be talking to, look them up.

Postby 2014 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:29 pm

It's probably worth it but it's not crucial or anything. I did one of them last winter and the firm rejected my application for 2L very quickly.

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:44 pm

I just did a few of these in my home market. Wear a suit, but no resumes or other shit needed. They wont look at them, and from my experience, handing it to them would just make it uncomfortable (I had already attached it in my initial email inquiring about 1L).

Have at least 4 pertinent questions ready. Mine were boilerplate based on recommendations on this site -- seemed sufficient. I was not asked any questions by the attorneys beyond follow ups to my questions and trivial conversation crap (so you grew up around here? Which high school? Local team x or y?)

I sent thank you emails next day when the firm emailed me thanking me for coming in.

Return to “Legal Employment”