1L Job Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Job Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:34 pm

I was offered a 1L summer position at the firm I worked as a legal assistant for 2 years after undergrad. They said they have only taken on basic law clerks in the past (minimal legal work, mostly filing documents and upkeep of the library) but they would tailor a position for me that would give me a more substantive experience. My fear is that it will not look good at OCI if I just went back to the same firm I was at for 2 years instead of branching out to something like PI or a judicial internship. Any merit to this thought?

Pros:
-Pays well (big for 1L summer)
-Should provide some good experience (research assignments, client contact, etc.)
-It is in my home market where I want to work
-It is a place I am comfortable with after having spent 2 years there

Cons:
-Same firm I worked at for 2 years post-undergrad; no new, fresh experience
-Not really a "prestigious" firm (25-30 lawyers, deal with all areas of law but not really big time clients)

I am at MVP and really shooting for an SA for 2L summer.

rad lulz

Re: 1L Job Question

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Do the firm

Pays # and they obvs like you

2L OCI employers don't care what you do as long as it's legal

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was offered a 1L summer position at the firm I worked as a legal assistant for 2 years after undergrad. They said they have only taken on basic law clerks in the past (minimal legal work, mostly filing documents and upkeep of the library) but they would tailor a position for me that would give me a more substantive experience. My fear is that it will not look good at OCI if I just went back to the same firm I was at for 2 years instead of branching out to something like PI or a judicial internship. Any merit to this thought?

Pros:
-Pays well (big for 1L summer)
-Should provide some good experience (research assignments, client contact, etc.)
-It is in my home market where I want to work
-It is a place I am comfortable with after having spent 2 years there

Cons:
-Same firm I worked at for 2 years post-undergrad; no new, fresh experience
-Not really a "prestigious" firm (25-30 lawyers, deal with all areas of law but not really big time clients)

I am at MVP and really shooting for an SA for 2L summer.

Go to the firm. They are taking you no matter what your grades are, are paying you well, and will give you substantive work in the market you want most. Plus, if they like you enough for this, maybe they will hire you for 2L SA and/or after law school.

I worked before law school and decided to do something different 1L summer. However, I still did something that paid. Also, my old job was with a small practice rather than a firm. I think working for a firm your 1L summer will be impressive - and it shows that you impressed your old employer enough to be asked back. Just be sure to explain in your resume the substantive work you get over the summer in case anyone is familiar with their typical program.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Definitely take this job, and keep the door open with them for working there after graduation.

Return to “Legal Employment”