Old Employer Wants to Contact New Employer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Old Employer Wants to Contact New Employer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:28 am

The other day I accepted a new clerkship position. My boss was disappointed, but understanding. In addition to asking the name of my new employer, she also said that she was asking because she wants to call my new boss to ask for "leads" on the other candidates they interviewed. While I am not opposed to telling her where I will be transferring to, I am a bit uncomfortable with her calling to ask for leads since it is a competing firm, with the same general practice areas. Thoughts?

BostonLove

Re: Old Employer Wants to Contact New Employer

Postby BostonLove » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The other day I accepted a new clerkship position. My boss was disappointed, but understanding. In addition to asking the name of my new employer, she also said that she was asking because she wants to call my new boss to ask for "leads" on the other candidates they interviewed. While I am not opposed to telling her where I will be transferring to, I am a bit uncomfortable with her calling to ask for leads since it is a competing firm, with the same general practice areas. Thoughts?

I think it's a bit odd. However, I would likely still give the firm name. If you don't, she might be offended and you don't want to burn bridges. Hopefully the new boss will just think that your old boss is strange rather than thinking it is coming from you. Depending on your relationship with her, you might say that calling to ask for leads may not be fruitful and offer to suggest some law school friends (if you can).

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Sounds like you have reasons for not taking your boss's word at face value.

Further thoughts depend on further details, like whether you're a law student and why you are leaving. Did you give your current boss a chance to keep you as an employee? Or did you just say you're leaving without forewarning?

Carlo Von Sexron

Postby Carlo Von Sexron » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Whatever your old employer's motivations, you should ask your new boss if it's OK for your old to contact him. Tell him what you just told us and let him make that call. If he says no, tell your old boss that's that's your new employer's decision. Burning bridges is bad, but the last thing you want is to get off on the wrong foot with your new employer.

That is really strange, though. My personal opinion is that that's a pretty bush-league move by your old boss. Who the fuck recruits that way?? I'd like to hear what happens with this.

joblawl

Postby joblawl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 pm

As an employment lawyer, the idea of a supervisor contacting the new place of employment of a departing employee turns my stomach. My firm generally advises employers to only give dates of employment and job titles to people calling for references.

Assuming the old employer is a lawyer, he should know the potential liability of interfering with your new contractual relationship.

This is a shitty situation. The legal community is small. You're old boss will know sooner or later who you're working for........ I would probably tell the old boss where I was going, but also that I'm not comfortable with him contacting the new boss. Make it clear that you're not endorsing this. Your old boss is just a colleague now, be respectful but don't invite him to ruin your career.

Good luck. Congrats on the new gig.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:06 am

I would tell her that you will let your new employer know of her request and give them her contact info. Then you can give your new employer the info, along with whatever relevant backstory. New employer can choose to (or choose not to) contact her.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:The other day I accepted a new clerkship position. My boss was disappointed, but understanding. In addition to asking the name of my new employer, she also said that she was asking because she wants to call my new boss to ask for "leads" on the other candidates they interviewed. While I am not opposed to telling her where I will be transferring to, I am a bit uncomfortable with her calling to ask for leads since it is a competing firm, with the same general practice areas. Thoughts?

You are an adult. Tell her, "no." If she wants candidates, she can post the job. Hell, send her my resume. You can also ask for your friends resume and give that to her. If she likes you, then she would want your referrals. But sure as hell don't tell her your bosses name. In fact, I wouldn't even say what firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”