2L - Trusts & Estates - What to do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L - Trusts & Estates - What to do?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm a 2L who struck out at OCI, has mass mailed in all practice areas for the geographic areas I can live in, and am waiting on a few interviews but otherwise have nothing. I've been told I'm a good interviewer, I think I'm just a borderline candidate with some interesting things going for me but never enough to quite get the spot for 2L summer. I'm still working to improve all aspects: grades, interview, network, etc.

One of the areas in which I am most interested is trusts & estates. I've had a lot of experience in this work previously and believe I'd be very happy with this work (and can explain why). I'm curious if anyone has suggestions of how to find a summer position in this (or any other area) or otherwise how to break into this area. Since I am applying for clerkships, I am thinking of applying to Probate and Family Court judges, but I'm not sure if that's really the best way to go. Obviously, I'm focusing more on this summer for now.

TIA!

Anonymous User

Re: 2L - Trusts & Estates - What to do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:53 am

I would contact some alum from your school who work in this area. Ask your career development office if they know anybody. WTE is one of those areas where students aren't exactly banging on the door to do, so if you have genuine interest in the subject, you'll get great advice and who knows maybe job leads. But I also wouldn't just limit yourself to WTE, as people change practice areas over time. I have seen many lawyers advertise themselves as doing criminal defense, family law, and WTE, though personally I imagine it's hard to become an expert in all three.

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:05 pm

I took T&E last fall. My professor explained to the class that there's a shortage of T&E professors in the legal world. This might be something to keep in mind as a possibility if T&E is something you'd really love to do.

As for this summer... I have no idea if there are any non-firm T&E jobs out there. Could you be a full-time summer research assistant for a T&E faculty member? Or a probate court intern? Or work with a nonprofit that helps people prepare wills and trust documents (I know these exist).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would contact some alum from your school who work in this area. Ask your career development office if they know anybody. WTE is one of those areas where students aren't exactly banging on the door to do, so if you have genuine interest in the subject, you'll get great advice and who knows maybe job leads. But I also wouldn't just limit yourself to WTE, as people change practice areas over time. I have seen many lawyers advertise themselves as doing criminal defense, family law, and WTE, though personally I imagine it's hard to become an expert in all three.

Thanks. I have contacted some I know in the area, but I'll ask career services for more.

Don't worry - I'm definitely not limiting myself to any one area! There are a number of areas I have experience in and would enjoy working in, but T&E is one of the top areas (and one in which, as you say, fewer law students are interested). I'm definitely staying flexible, though - better to have a job in an area that isn't my favorite than be unemployed! I've worked with general practitioners before, so I am used to the variety.

alphagamma wrote:I took T&E last fall. My professor explained to the class that there's a shortage of T&E professors in the legal world. This might be something to keep in mind as a possibility if T&E is something you'd really love to do.

As for this summer... I have no idea if there are any non-firm T&E jobs out there. Could you be a full-time summer research assistant for a T&E faculty member? Or a probate court intern? Or work with a nonprofit that helps people prepare wills and trust documents (I know these exist).

That's good to know. I've heard that it is expected to be an area with more need - and it is something that people will always need!

I've actually found that there aren't really many firm T&E 2L summer jobs, either, unfortunately. I'm definitely going to look into the probate court intern position - I hadn't thought of that before. I guess my concern is that I don't want to close out other potential positions, since it's pretty likely I'll have to do the 3L job hunt. I'm going to look more into the positions you mentioned. (My school actually works with a nonprofit like that, so I might be able to find something through that.)

I am taking T&E this semester, so I'm hoping my professor might be helpful as well!

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Probate court would be good, but you likely won't get to deal with many complex estates. In my jurisdiction (TX), 90% of probates are relatively small estates with little assets.

If you can't get a internship with a lawfirm doing T&E, I'd suggest trying to intern in a trust department of a bank or a trust company. You'll get a feel for larger, complex trusts and estate plans as well as how those trusts are administered. It's also invaluable networking because a) trust departments can be huge sources of referrals, b) trust departments can be great clients, and c) they will have relationships with multiple lawfirms which could lead to you networking with those attorneys or *hopefully* your boss recommending you to those lawfirms.

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I'm a 2L who struck out at OCI, has mass mailed in all practice areas for the geographic areas I can live in, and am waiting on a few interviews but otherwise have nothing. I've been told I'm a good interviewer, I think I'm just a borderline candidate with some interesting things going for me but never enough to quite get the spot for 2L summer. I'm still working to improve all aspects: grades, interview, network, etc.

One of the areas in which I am most interested is trusts & estates. I've had a lot of experience in this work previously and believe I'd be very happy with this work (and can explain why). I'm curious if anyone has suggestions of how to find a summer position in this (or any other area) or otherwise how to break into this area. Since I am applying for clerkships, I am thinking of applying to Probate and Family Court judges, but I'm not sure if that's really the best way to go. Obviously, I'm focusing more on this summer for now.

TIA!

What state?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:39 pm

FamilyLawEsq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

TIA!

What state?

OP Here. I'm in MA but willing to go other places (particularly in the Northeast).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:45 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:Probate court would be good, but you likely won't get to deal with many complex estates. In my jurisdiction (TX), 90% of probates are relatively small estates with little assets.

If you can't get a internship with a lawfirm doing T&E, I'd suggest trying to intern in a trust department of a bank or a trust company. You'll get a feel for larger, complex trusts and estate plans as well as how those trusts are administered. It's also invaluable networking because a) trust departments can be huge sources of referrals, b) trust departments can be great clients, and c) they will have relationships with multiple lawfirms which could lead to you networking with those attorneys or *hopefully* your boss recommending you to those lawfirms.

OP

That makes sense. The other thing I was thinking about with that is that most complex probates take a long time, so I'm not sure how helpful three months at the court would be. I've worked before law school with basic and complex probates before.

I had looked into trust departments before but haven't been able to find anything. I think most of them just weren't hiring yet. Do you have any recommendations about where to find these jobs? I agree that they would be a good option for me, if I can get a job at one! I've also looked into wealth management companies, though the ones around me seem to be solo or small operations (I'm still applying and interviewing with them, of course!).

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP

That makes sense. The other thing I was thinking about with that is that most complex probates take a long time, so I'm not sure how helpful three months at the court would be. I've worked before law school with basic and complex probates before.

I had looked into trust departments before but haven't been able to find anything. I think most of them just weren't hiring yet. Do you have any recommendations about where to find these jobs? I agree that they would be a good option for me, if I can get a job at one! I've also looked into wealth management companies, though the ones around me seem to be solo or small operations (I'm still applying and interviewing with them, of course!).

I don't think trust departments or trust companies will actually have posted listings for internships, and they probably won't have a formal internship program (which sucks). You will likely just have to write very good letters explaining your interests and asking if they would consider hiring an intern for the summer. Some might bite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:07 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP

I don't think trust departments or trust companies will actually have posted listings for internships, and they probably won't have a formal internship program (which sucks). You will likely just have to write very good letters explaining your interests and asking if they would consider hiring an intern for the summer. Some might bite.

I'm starting to send messages like that to corporations generally, so I'm used to that! Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Legal Employment”