1L Firm "Meetings"/Networking

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Firm "Meetings"/Networking

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Hey, so this may happen all the time but I thought I'd probe the wisdom of TLS on the subject and maybe others had similar experiences -

1L here. The local offices of two major vault firms in my hometown responded to email inquiries that they aren't taking 1L SA's, but they'd love for me to come in and meet the attorneys/learn about the practice while I'm home over break. I instantly accepted the offer - I assume that even though they wouldn't take me as a 1L, they are thinking ahead to OCI this summer. But now I'm wondering what I should ask/wear/have prepared/know about the firms/ect?? As a 1L, I'm far from fluent in any one practice area and I still have relatively vague ideas about exactly what I want to do at a firm. Any help or tips for what I should say or do in these one-on-one "meet and greets" that aren't interviews at large firms? I'm sure others are doing this too.

Thanks in advance!

North

Re: 1L Firm "Meetings"/Networking

Postby North » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 pm

Also interested in this.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:33 pm

North wrote:Also interested in this.

Me three. I have no idea what I should be talking to big law lawyers about, other than just asking them questions about their work/the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Me three. I have no idea what I should be talking to big law lawyers about, other than just asking them questions about their work/the firm.

Is this sacrasm?

Clearly questions will focus on the firm and the various practice areas, but more specifically, what type of granularity should be anticipated/prepared?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:42 pm

I don't have a lot if time to answer this but do all the research on the firm
As if you are doing OCI. I know there are good threads with thorough discussion on how to prepare. Try to know who you will meet with.

Ask them about why they chose that practice area, talk about recent stuff happening at the firm, ask them what they look for in associates. You can also ask general career stuff like what they felt helped with their career. Ask about the firm programs.

If you make a decent connection you should ask if you can stay in touch with them.

Stay away from any questions about quality of life, if they ever see their families, hours, etc.

You can always bond over hobbies and sports teams can be TCR.

Be confident and personable and act like you belong there even if you feel like a know nothing kid. Just don't be cocky or arrogant. Chill and sociable usually works.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Is this sacrasm?

Clearly questions will focus on the firm and the various practice areas, but more specifically, what type of granularity should be anticipated/prepared?

Probably avoid asking about granularity.
Just act like a person they would want to be around if you have to work all night.

There is good info on the forum about this. I'm sure you will get solid advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:46 pm

NYstate wrote:I don't have a lot if time to answer this but do all the research on the firm
As if you are doing OCI. I know there are good threads with thorough discussion on how to prepare. Try to know who you will meet with.

Ask them about why they chose that practice area, talk about recent stuff happening at the firm, ask them what they look for in associates. You can also ask general career stuff like what they felt helped with their career. Ask about the firm programs.

If you make a decent connection you should ask if you can stay in touch with them.

Stay away from any questions about quality of life, if they ever see their families, hours, etc.

You can always bond over hobbies and sports teams can be TCR.

Be confident and personable and act like you belong there even if you feel like a know nothing kid. Just don't be cocky or arrogant. Chill and sociable usually works.

Thank you! All very helpful

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Is this sacrasm?

No. Why is this anon?

I'm more trying to figure out what I should be saying to them about myself. Like many 1Ls, I don't have any good work experience. I guess I could give them my take on the proper limits of proximate cause or when one should raise a 12(b)(6) motion but I'm guessing they could care less about that crap.

Eta: thanks NY
Last edited by BigZuck on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Asking really basic questions (why this practice area, what makes this different from other things your firm does) at this kind of thing is fine. They really don't expect people to know anything about biglaw practice areas.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Is this sacrasm?

No. Why is this anon?

I'm more trying to figure out what I should be saying to them about myself. Like many 1Ls, I don't have any good work experience. I guess I could give them my take on the proper limits of proximate cause or when one should raise a 12(b)(6) motion but I'm guessing they could care less about that crap.

Eta: thanks NY

You don't need to "sell" yourself in most firm interviews in an OCI context (which these informational interviews are similar to) . They'll ask you broad questions, you answer honestly.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks Nelson

Return to “Legal Employment”