Interview with pro sports team Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Interview with pro sports team

Post by Grazzhoppa » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:41 pm

I have an interview with the general counsel of a MLB team coming up. It is for a summer position. What kind of work do these guys do and what should I be expecting in the interview? I know next to nothing about baseball. Thanks.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Re: Interview with pro sports team

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:I have an interview with the general counsel of a MLB team coming up. It is for a summer position. What kind of work do these guys do and what should I be expecting in the interview? I know next to nothing about baseball. Thanks.
Please list more information for us to give a relevant answer: height, weight, times for your 40 and 60. They're going to clock you short distance and your long toss. They'll see how much pop you have on the ball to assess whether you've already reached your peak or you have time to grow.

Generally, they're looking for big quick bodies with some pop and room to grow. Usually, at the end, they'll assign you a number from 1-100 taking into account your potential and the 5 tools compared to the rest of the country.

ShitLawOrBust

Bronze

Post by ShitLawOrBust » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:I have an interview with the general counsel of a MLB team coming up. It is for a summer position. What kind of work do these guys do and what should I be expecting in the interview? I know next to nothing about baseball. Thanks.
Please list more information for us to give a relevant answer: height, weight, times for your 40 and 60. They're going to clock you short distance and your long toss. They'll see how much pop you have on the ball to assess whether you've already reached your peak or you have time to grow.

Generally, they're looking for big quick bodies with some pop and room to grow. Usually, at the end, they'll assign you a number from 1-100 taking into account your potential and the 5 tools compared to the rest of the country.
This is pretty spot on. Though they might ask about lifting stats and previous playing experience, too.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:56 pm

5'8" 170.

5 second 40 in high school football. Very white with low athletic potential. Haven't thrown a baseball in 10 years.

Do you think I'm totally out of the running?

downinDtown

Bronze

Post by downinDtown » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:09 pm

It would be helpful to at least have a cursory knowledge of baseball going into the interview. Sports teams are like art for a lot of people, they love to just talk about it. Doesn't matter what. At a minimum, you should familiarize yourself with the team, some of their players, recent history, etc.

As to what responsibilities this position could entail, it will likely involve a combination of contract review/drafting (could be business contracts with vendors, marketers, advertisers, etc. or could be contracts for player or team personnel/staff/employees, or contracts with season ticket holders). It's possible to also be responsible for reviewing marketing materials or handle some small-claims litigation (a lot of people get hurt/sick at large sporting venues so they $ue, and some season ticket holders don't pay so the team may go after them to collect). It could also include compliance review of state/local laws, tax issues, company policy, emploment issues, collection matters, consumer warranties, etc.

I'm not familiar with many teams that have a formal program for in-house legal interns, and there aren't many in-house legal positions for professional sports teams, so the in-house counsel probably wants help with some of the routine, menial, or time-consuming projects/contracts/issues that they don't have the time to spend on it. Or they want a highly educated box mover or coffee fetcher.

In any case, I would go into the interview assuming that most of the parties involved have a least a passing knowlege/interest in the sport and team and you should prepare yourself accordingly. Fit/Personality >>>> Grades in this situation.

The school I attended is close to an MLB team and they did have a semi-regular posting for legal intern positions so if you want more info, PM me and I can try to track down one of those postings so you can get a better idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”