Judicial internship with US Bankruptcy Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Judicial internship with US Bankruptcy

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:37 pm

So I was recently offered an internship with an SDNY bankruptcy judge. I have a couple weeks to mail them my decision. I was wondering if these are typically considered prestigious 1L internships? I only ask because I am still waiting on grades, which so far are looking good (2 A's), and am trying to weigh the risk of holding off on this offer so I can apply to 1L SA's or other paid internships

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Re: Judicial internship with US Bankruptcy

Post by 911 crisis actor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:10 am

SDNY Bankruptcy is the most prestigious of all the BK courts

But the received 'TLS' wisdom is that prestige doesn't matter for 1L judicial internships. How SDNY BK compares with a Circuit internship, I dunno

If you have 2 A's and you're T14 I'd definitely try to gun for a 1L SA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:49 am

Thanks for the response. I'm at a T30 and understand 1L SA's are very rare to begin with, so its looking like I'm going to take this offer

anonymous2012

New

Post by anonymous2012 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 am

Might look good down the line if you strike out at Oci and do something else bk related 2L summer for bk clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I was recently offered an internship with an SDNY bankruptcy judge. I have a couple weeks to mail them my decision. I was wondering if these are typically considered prestigious 1L internships? I only ask because I am still waiting on grades, which so far are looking good (2 A's), and am trying to weigh the risk of holding off on this offer so I can apply to 1L SA's or other paid internships

It depends. As someone who interviews bankruptcy associates for my firm, I know which of the SDNY judges actually use their clerks and interns, and which just treat them as glorified coffee-getters. If you're working for the latter, I think that Starbucks would be more prestigious - at least you'd be admitting you're a 1L Barista.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pope Francis

New

Post by Pope Francis » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I was recently offered an internship with an SDNY bankruptcy judge. I have a couple weeks to mail them my decision. I was wondering if these are typically considered prestigious 1L internships? I only ask because I am still waiting on grades, which so far are looking good (2 A's), and am trying to weigh the risk of holding off on this offer so I can apply to 1L SA's or other paid internships

It depends. As someone who interviews bankruptcy associates for my firm, I know which of the SDNY judges actually use their clerks and interns, and which just treat them as glorified coffee-getters. If you're working for the latter, I think that Starbucks would be more prestigious - at least you'd be admitting you're a 1L Barista.
Mind sharing names?

anonymous2012

New

Post by anonymous2012 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:

TITCR. I see numerous applications who interned with the same judge, and I know the interns received little to no time with that judge. They are just given menial tasks by the law clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Interesting. From I gathered from the interview with the judge and clerks, ill be doing more than running coffee. Basically Ill be researching and writing memos regarding various points of law related to upcoming cases, and sitting in on court one day a week. The clerks pretty much put it as "you basically do everything that we do"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:09 pm

I received an offer from a SDNY BK judge who was very adamant that I would be doing "real work" and I was inclined to believe him. I imagine, as others have said, that this is simply something that varies from chambers to chambers.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:36 pm

m

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”