Diversity Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lhanvt13

Diversity Position

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:06 am

Hey guys, I had a quick question about diversity personal statements for 1L diversity positions (SA).
I realize many people did a "story telling" method for law school apps but does that still work with the firm diversity personal statements? or would it be better to be like "I was a part of X, Y, and Z. in X I did something. In Y I did something. etc."

Also, do I also put that my interest is IP in my diversity personal statement or should I just show that in my Resume?

Thanks. Job apps suck

kykiske

Re: Diversity Position

Postby kykiske » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:47 pm

When I applied to 1L Diverse SA positions, I definitely went down the "story" path. I would tell my story, and then weave that into why I joined certain student groups or other organizations.

Like you, I had an interest in a particular area of law. But I think its best to weave your interest into why you want to join the particular firm. So you could write something like, "I have a strong interest in IP law, and [x] firm has a strong practice in IP law, and has an impressive reputation in the industry."

It's all about carefully weaving your interest and story into why you're the best candidate for firm's particular 1L SA hire.

And you can ask 10 people, and likely get 10 different opinions, but for my diversity statements I kept them to under 2 pages, double-spaced. My personal statements for law school were also very short compared to my classmates.

I only landed one offer though, which I ultimately accepted.

lhanvt13

Re: Diversity Position

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:45 pm

kykiske wrote:When I applied to 1L Diverse SA positions, I definitely went down the "story" path. I would tell my story, and then weave that into why I joined certain student groups or other organizations.

Like you, I had an interest in a particular area of law. But I think its best to weave your interest into why you want to join the particular firm. So you could write something like, "I have a strong interest in IP law, and [x] firm has a strong practice in IP law, and has an impressive reputation in the industry."

It's all about carefully weaving your interest and story into why you're the best candidate for firm's particular 1L SA hire.

And you can ask 10 people, and likely get 10 different opinions, but for my diversity statements I kept them to under 2 pages, double-spaced. My personal statements for law school were also very short compared to my classmates.

I only landed one offer though, which I ultimately accepted.

Thanks for the response! So, I've dedicated the personal statement to talk about diversity but I mention my interest in IP in my cover letter. Should I try to put them together for firms that only require a personal statement and not a cover letter?

Return to “Legal Employment”