Securities/Corporate w/o Business Background

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Securities/Corporate w/o Business Background

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:05 pm

K through JD, here. No business or finance background. After coming to law school, though, I've found White Collar Crime, Securities/Shareholder Litigation, etc. The practice seems interesting (I've met with several alumni who practice in Securities/Finance) and appealing. However, I have no practical or educational experience/background in business/corporate/finance.

Any possibility for trying to practice in this area? :shock:

Thanks!

thesealocust

Re: Securities/Corporate w/o Business Background

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:36 pm

All that matters is LS grades and school. Tons of people go into it with 0 background.

p1arnold

Postby p1arnold » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:53 am

They'll teach you everything you need to know. I've seen people with MBAs and former big 4 people do not as well as K-JDs. You'll be fine in the securities world if you are motivated to really understand and learn.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:10 pm

I suppose that going into securities then is a scenario of biglaw or bust, right?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I suppose that going into securities then is a scenario of biglaw or bust, right?

Not totally, but there is much less securities law being practiced outside of the big firms. You'll often see deals like IPOs where the underwriters' counsel is a name-brand NYC firm and issuer's counsel is the company's local counsel, which may or may not be a "big" firm (which is to say, securities law isn't TOTALLY the province of big firms, but it's certainly very concentrated for a lot of systematic reasons).

Return to “Legal Employment”