2L w/ no SA or summer job lined up... Advice plz...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L w/ no SA or summer job lined up... Advice plz...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Applied to several hundred law firms... What should I do next? Submit updated résumé w/ letter of interest? Apply to MidLaw? ShitLaw? BigGov?

Just looking for new ideas on how to tackle this situation.

TYIA.

holdencaulfield

Re: 2L w/ no SA or summer job lined up... Advice plz...

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:33 pm

If you haven't applied to any midlaw firms in your geographic region, do so immediately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:If you haven't applied to any midlaw firms in your geographic region, do so immediately.

Is there an efficient way to find out what MidLaw firms are in my area besides looking at the firms listed at the tail end of the NLJ350 and googling?

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:If you haven't applied to any midlaw firms in your geographic region, do so immediately.

Is there an efficient way to find out what MidLaw firms are in my area besides looking at the firms listed at the tail end of the NLJ350 and googling?

Use google, and peruse the websites of the firms you find. Look for lawfirms with 10-50 lawyers - they likely won't be listed in the NLJ350.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:49 pm

If you can't work at a big firm, then what would you like to do?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:50 pm

worldtraveler wrote:If you can't work at a big firm, then what would you like to do?

This

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:03 pm

rad lulz wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:If you can't work at a big firm, then what would you like to do?

This

Work for a small/mid firm, fed agency, clerk on the state level (probably long shot for Art. III), or in-house...

I am not sure if its a good thing but I am interested in more than one area of law...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

This

Work for a small/mid firm, fed agency, clerk on the state level (probably long shot for Art. III), or in-house...

I am not sure if its a good thing but I am interested in more than one area of law...

It's a good thing if you can talk intelligently about those areas and have the experience to back it up

but the times when firms just need some warm bodies are over

firm job postings and hiring needs will be increasingly specific wrt practice area

Return to “Legal Employment”