1L summer: dream job or dream location?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer: dream job or dream location?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 am

i went to 1L V50 reception in my home town. the attorneys from the area to which i aspire intimated that they were strongly considering me for their 1L summer associate program. i basically have a crush on this firm, but I hate my home town. fervently. i initially only went to the reception for the free booze.

i would never consider working in this city long-term, but this seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. my initial plan was to take any job in my desired location to show 2L employers that i was interested in the region.

with no ties to the region i'm targeting, is it more important use a 1L summer to establish interest in a region or a practice area?

rad lulz

Re: 1L summer: dream job or dream location?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:28 am

You're anon

Say the name of area 2 at least

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:35 am

looking to get from midwest/south --> CA

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:looking to get from midwest/south --> CA

And where is your law school

And what part of CA

guano

Postby guano » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:48 am

(assuming LA, and to a lesser extent SF/SV)
Take the firm job in your home town. When you do OCI, having firm experience will look a lot better than doing some bullshit job locally.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 am

Take the SA position.

Postby 2014 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:48 pm

What is your school range?

Actually the answer to that isn't entirely relevant since if it's a T1 or TTT outside of Cali you probably aren't going to get to there regardless of what you do this summer and if it's a T14, the option might be there regardless. Anecdotally I know of two people in my class for example who had never been to Cali, took non-Cali firm jobs over 1L, and got Cali offers.

So I would do whatever pays better which I assume is the V50. PSA though: They make a lot of people feel like they are being strongly considered and then probably hire 1 to 3 total.

Return to “Legal Employment”