"Diversity" positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

"Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:50 am

90% of the good jobs on my law school's career site are "diversity" positions. Is there any way for a white male to land a "diversity" position, or is it a futile effort?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:90% of the good jobs on my law school's career site are "diversity" positions. Is there any way for a white male to land a "diversity" position, or is it a futile effort?


Are you gay? I know a few people that pulled that one off. (they were actually gay.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:08 pm

No, but I could probably lie and say I am bi-sexual. Who would know? Do they have any objective way of finding out if the applicant is actually gay?

Pre-response to hypocrites: Even though lying is ethically reprehensible, so is reverse discrimination.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:14 pm

URMs are under-represented in the profession and start life at a significant disadvantage otherwise. Let them apply for diversity positions. That's what they are for.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:20 pm

True. I only ask because like I said 90% of the positions on my law school's postings are diversity only. I understand advancing the rights of URMs and support the cause, however it doesn't seem fair or just that the majority is left to compete for the other 10%.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:True. I only ask because like I said 90% of the positions on my law school's postings are diversity only. I understand advancing the rights of URMs and support the cause, however it doesn't seem fair or just that the majority is left to compete for the other 10%.


That's true. What region do you attend school? Seems weird that they would only post diversity jobs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 pm

New York. There's a heavy sentiment towards promoting the rights of minorities and LGBTQ in the law school as well as in all of the surrounding firms. As a result, white males are put at a significant disadvantage when looking for summer employment. All of the "big firm" postings are diversity only. Positions that don't require diversity are along the lines of "filing clerk- file papers and assist attorneys in the office."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Does anyone have a good sample paragraph discussing "how diversity is important to you?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Most firms are not interested in hiring 1Ls these days. They only seem to make exceptions for diverse candidates in hopes that they can retain exceptional URMs for full time employment.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22885
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:00 pm

1) There is WAY TOO MUCH anon abuse going on in this thread. It's a dodgy topic so I won't out the people who have already posted, but I will do so from now on, so consider yourselves warned.

2) Talking about "reverse discrimination" is getting perilously close to debating affirmative action, which is not appropriate in this thread. Consider yourselves warned (again).

3) On topic, the last anon is correct - 1L firm jobs are extremely rare. Don't take what you think is happening with 1L diversity positions as indicative of overall legal hiring. (Just look at biglaw firm websites to see who actually works there if you want some evidence of this.) In my own law school market at least, the only 1L firm positions were diversity positions, but that wasn't remotely indicative of who ended up getting what jobs in the long run. While some of the 1Ls who got diversity positions ended up getting jobs with those big firms, plenty also did not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: "Diversity" positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Right, sorry about that Mouse, thanks for input about big firms and diversity. Anyone have an answer to the question in OP with regards to in-house corporate diversity positions?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.