DC Public Sector Recruitment Program - GU/GW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Public Sector Recruitment Program - GU/GW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Anyone else working on cover letters? I'm a 1L - do most of the interviews get snatched up by upperclasspersons? Can anyone with past experience speak to their experience with the program? I feel like most participants will want to be convinced of an applicant's sincere interest in the organization's mission, but w/o significant experience, it will be difficult to illustrate.

ran12

Re: DC Public Sector Recruitment Program - GU/GW

Postby ran12 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else working on cover letters? I'm a 1L - do most of the interviews get snatched up by upperclasspersons? Can anyone with past experience speak to their experience with the program? I feel like most participants will want to be convinced of an applicant's sincere interest in the organization's mission, but w/o significant experience, it will be difficult to illustrate.

Idk if it's dominated by 2Ls but you're not competing at all with the 3Ls since they're going for entry level jobs. In terms of how it's set up you go into a room full of tables and different orgs and try to do an interview. It's kind of a waste of time in my opinion b/c it's tough to hear and it's more like speed interviewing b/c of the setup.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Ugh, sounds about right from the info sheet. Is it fairly easy to get an interview from the resume-collect option?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:50 am

ran12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else working on cover letters? I'm a 1L - do most of the interviews get snatched up by upperclasspersons? Can anyone with past experience speak to their experience with the program? I feel like most participants will want to be convinced of an applicant's sincere interest in the organization's mission, but w/o significant experience, it will be difficult to illustrate.

Idk if it's dominated by 2Ls but you're not competing at all with the 3Ls since they're going for entry level jobs. In terms of how it's set up you go into a room full of tables and different orgs and try to do an interview. It's kind of a waste of time in my opinion b/c it's tough to hear and it's more like speed interviewing b/c of the setup.

GULC 2L to answer your questions:
1. NO not that many 2L's really do the DC Public Sector program it is in my experience dominated by 1L's
2. I had 4 interviews and it was the typical screener format of 20 minutes but it is odd as there is just a ballroom with tables and everyone is so close that you basically hear the interview next to you.
3. All the orgs there want you to show some interest in their cause, but it isn't really necessary to have any concrete experience. Just like any other employer research the org and find out what they did. Tip is to read the mission statement for a non-profit and weave the mission into your answers to questions.
4. Last tip is don't be discouraged if you don't get that many pre-select interviews. (most people get like 2-5) Also, in general don't be discouraged during the 1L job search if it takes some time to get a summer internship with a non-profit or government org as your resume may just scream law firm or even worse law firm corporate which makes it an up hill battle. Most of my friends that had the hardest time getting a 1L job were the first to get a 2L SA (controlling for grades).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:59 am

Any way they would make a rare exception for a NON-GULC/GW to participate in this DC recruitment program???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any way they would make a rare exception for a NON-GULC/GW to participate in this DC recruitment program???

I highly doubt it. When I was in law school there was another big job fair geared toward similar stuff that was open to anyone from any school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ugh, sounds about right from the info sheet. Is it fairly easy to get an interview from the resume-collect option?

I would throw your hat into the ring, but definitely apply to agencies and orgs directly, then follow up with a call. A LOT of area employers can't make it to the fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Would it be a bad move to apply to multiple groups within the same office (US Special Counsel) - they have postings for seven different groups, each with a different interviewer.

Return to “Legal Employment”