Cover Letter Draft for hometown office. Am I doing it right?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Garbage?

Garbage.
100%
Meh.
No votes

Total votes: 1

Anonymous User

Cover Letter Draft for hometown office. Am I doing it right?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:27 pm

This is the best firm in my hometown. They hire ~1 person out of LS every couple years. I'm at a T14 and am gunning hard to land an offer from this place. They just cut their 1L summer program, but have an application portal for it anyway that says, in essence, "we're not hiring 1L's this year, but if you're really interested you can send us an application anyway to let us know and we'll keep it on file." So, because I think it's be cool to be able to demonstrate sustained interest in this specific office of this specific firm when I apply for a 2L SA next summer, I'm going to do it. This is the cover letter I'm attaching. It'll probably serve as the base of the cover letters I use to apply to firms I'm less attached to as well, so I'd love to hear some criticism in that context too.

TL; DR: Weird situation for my top choice firm (which is where those sentences in the first paragraph come from), but also the template I'll use for other firms. Am I doing it right?

--ImageRemoved--

Let me have it. This is my first try.

AnotherYearOlder

Re: Cover Letter Draft for hometown office. Am I doing it right?

Postby AnotherYearOlder » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:39 pm

I think you need to re-order the letter. You state that your interest is in THAT FIRM and in THAT OFFICE, so you should try to structure the letter that way.

I'd start with the introduction, but eliminate the disqualifying characteristic (that you're a first year law student). Instead, just say that you're a law student looking for a summer associate position...

Next paragraph -- the first sentence of the second paragraph is a good start, but then you don't expand on it. Instead, you simply site more qualifications which are, no offense, the same as everyone elses'. Instead, I'd use this paragraph to explain, briefly, why you're interested in those areas and then what the skills are that you've developed that will be helpful.

Next paragraph -- talk about why you want to work in that particular city. I thought this was decent as-written.

You conclusion was good, however, you indicated that you'd be willing to work at an office that the firm has when you've already indicated that you want to be in a particular city. I understand what you're probably thinking, but without context (that you shouldn't put in your letter, anyway), it looks like you just threw something in at the end.

Just my $.02.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:06 pm

OP here.

Good advice. TY brother. I'm reworking it now. Going to be hard to find reasons for being interested in those practice areas that doesn't sound contrived, though. :| Had trouble with that while I was writing it. "I was a poli-sci UG and worked a desk job for the state for a bit and I'm pretty sure that'll help a tiny bit with regulatory work, so that's why I want to do regulatory work." "I like LRW so far and I know being decent at that is important in Lit, so yeah I'm interested in lit."

Would it be weird to talk about specific attorneys at the firm as a reason to want to work there? They've got some cool people. One of the partners was the State SG for a while and seems like a really good guy to learn from.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:08 pm

(FYI: the above poster is the V100 hiring partner thread guy, so his advice > mine.)

The content of the first paragraph looks mostly OK to me. You set forth what you're looking for and your ties to your hometown. I don't know where your hometown is, but I've applied to a lot of places where ties like that will get you interviews. I might consider leaving out the "despite being a first-generation college student" bit though. Just seems unnecessary to me. Graduating first in your class is a great accomplishment already, you don't need the added bit.

The content of the second paragraph makes me want to die. Well, the first sentence is fine, although just personally I would prefer not to pigeonhole myself into any practice area interests. You never know if the firm is hiring in those areas, even if they specialize in them, or maybe one of their other practice areas happens to be the one hiring. You know the firm better than I do, though. The rest of it ... ugh. Actually, the last sentence about "the best attorneys in the state" might be alright if the firm's attorneys pride themselves on being the best attorneys in the state. Also, specific attorneys might be alright. One of my friends did that, but again with the pigeonholing advice--that friend was applying specifically for patent litigation, so he named attorneys practicing in that area at the firm as a reason for wanting to work there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 pm

lolwat wrote:(FYI: the above poster is the V100 hiring partner thread guy, so his advice > mine.)

:shock:

TLS never ceases to amaze me.

I'm with you on that second paragraph. It was hard to write (and still is, I'm working on it now) and it reads like it.

Return to “Legal Employment”