Applying for SA Positions in Multiple Cities

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I add two more cities?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 4

Anonymous User

Applying for SA Positions in Multiple Cities

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:19 am

On December 2nd I applied to firms in only one city and I have not heard from any of them thus far. I aimed for one city because I was advised that blanketing several cities would look bad in interviews when the "where else have you applied?" question comes up. I am starting to panic at this point. Should I throw out the advice I was given and apply to firms in a few more cities?

UVAIce

Re: Applying for SA Positions in Multiple Cities

Postby UVAIce » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am

Are you a 2L or a 1L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:44 pm

UVAIce wrote:Are you a 2L or a 1L?

I am a 1L.

AnotherYearOlder

Postby AnotherYearOlder » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On December 2nd I applied to firms in only one city and I have not heard from any of them thus far. I aimed for one city because I was advised that blanketing several cities would look bad in interviews when the "where else have you applied?" question comes up. I am starting to panic at this point. Should I throw out the advice I was given and apply to firms in a few more cities?

(1) Don't panic. It's still very early. Even though you were allowed to send resumes out on 12/1, most firms don't start looking, in earnest, until the first of the year, after all of the year-end stuff has died down.

(2) It's fine to look in multiple cities. Your answer to the question you're worried about is "Well, the job market is really tight, especially for 1Ls, so I'm casting a wide net, but I really want to be in [name of city you're interviewing in] because [genuine explanation of why that city is attractive." It's less important that you're interviewing in several cities and more important that you can justify why you're there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks. I think this is what I will do.

Return to “Legal Employment”