UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:47 pm

How do you handle bidding multiple offices? Say you want to bid both Skadden Chicago and Skadden NY. Do you put them separately on your list?

Also if you are already doing a callback with a firm at its office in a secondary market, should you also bid that firm's Chicago or NY office at OCI?

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you handle bidding multiple offices? Say you want to bid both Skadden Chicago and Skadden NY. Do you put them separately on your list?

Also if you are already doing a callback with a firm at its office in a secondary market, should you also bid that firm's Chicago or NY office at OCI?

It depends on whether the firm allows that. For some firms (i.e., Kirkland), you bid every office separately. For others, you pick the office you want most, though you can mention in your interview that you are interested in other locations. I did this with Gibson.

Depends on the firm. I would ask what they prefer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you handle bidding multiple offices? Say you want to bid both Skadden Chicago and Skadden NY. Do you put them separately on your list?

I have a pretty long post about this earlier ITT. Please search for it so I know my time writing it wasn't wasted :)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For firms that don't come to OCI and have online applications, is it ok not to submit a cover letter if the only documents the application requires are resume and transcript, and a cover letter isn't mentioned? Or would that be a major error?

I am ok with writing one, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting time.

If it doesn't ask for one, I wouldn't write one.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Last edited by Crowing on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:24 am

Crowing wrote:Anybody who currently works at Mayer Chicago or is close with somebody summering there? Please PM if so have urgent-ish inquiry.

Use WWW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 am

This thread has really good advice so far. Check it out regardless of market:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=232953

Accidental anon: NPH

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:17 am

Rising 2Ls: Please take the numbers (25th/75th percentiles of candidates whom firms gave offers to last year) in stride. Both my big sib and s/o (well, more like fuck buddy) are well below the 25th percentiles for their firms. They are not URMs either. These numbers are helpful but systematically skewed upward. That's because people with 180 181 have dozens of firms to bid for, and so are going to bid for a lot of firms that they don't go to, which will automatically accept them. If you have 50% of a firm's bids in the 179-180 range, and 85% are accepted, and 50% around 178, with 33% accepted, the median and 25th percentiles will make it look anyone below 179 has no chance. Instead, they have a very viable chance. (And if they bid for a bunch of similar firms, they'll be almost certain to score a few)

tldr version= If you're around the 25th percentile, it doesn't mean your chances of getting the firm are 25%. And if you're below the 25th percentile, you still may have a viable (probably not great, but reasonable) chance. And remember: We have lots of bids. So a bunch of 15 to 20% chances will add up!

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2Ls: Please take the numbers (25th/75th percentiles of candidates whom firms gave offers to last year) in stride. Both my big sib and s/o (well, more like fuck buddy) are well below the 25th percentiles for their firms. They are not URMs either. These numbers are helpful but systematically skewed upward. That's because people with 180 181 have dozens of firms to bid for, and so are going to bid for a lot of firms that they don't go to, which will automatically accept them. If you have 50% of a firm's bids in the 179-180 range, and 85% are accepted, and 50% around 178, with 33% accepted, the median and 25th percentiles will make it look anyone below 179 has no chance. Instead, they have a very viable chance. (And if they bid for a bunch of similar firms, they'll be almost certain to score a few)

tldr version= If you're around the 25th percentile, it doesn't mean your chances of getting the firm are 25%. And if you're below the 25th percentile, you still may have a viable (probably not great, but reasonable) chance. And remember: We have lots of bids. So a bunch of 15 to 20% chances will add up!

See, for example, Skadden NY's inflated number.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Last edited by Crowing on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Crowing wrote:Word on the street is Mayer is prepping to no offer half their UChicago summers. I wanna get the scoop before bidding.

says who?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Don't just leave it at that bro. Give us a little more deets.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Crowing wrote:I-G-G-Y. Who dat who dat

Just half the U of C students? Half of all summers? Source? I mean, dude. Don't just poop on my floor and then not talk about it.
Last edited by bjsesq on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:25 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Crowing wrote:Word on the street is Mayer is prepping to no offer half their UChicago summers. I wanna get the scoop before bidding.

Just half the U of C students? Half of all summers? Source? I mean, dude. Don't just poop on my floor and then not talk about it.

there's no way they know that they're no-offering "half the students" from a given school -- unless you just happen to know every UChicago student there, and half of them said their review was dogshit. that's ludicrous. come back with better info or I call either (1) duped, (2) troll, or (3) stupid.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:26 pm

gchatbrah wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Crowing wrote:Still in the murder biznass

there's no way they know that they're no-offering "half the students" from a given school -- unless you just happen to know every UChicago student there, and half of them said their review was dogshit. that's ludicrous. come back with better info or I call either (1) duped, (2) troll, or (3) stupid.

Echoing all this
Last edited by bjsesq on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:35 pm

Last edited by Crowing on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:37 pm

Even if they were no offering, why would they stop offering work? Might as well have them work on inter office newsletters and shit. That makes no sense.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Crowing wrote:
gchatbrah wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Hence why I want to speak directly with a current summer. This info is from a friend who works with the SO of a current Mayer summer, who told me Mayer had stopped giving work to "half of their UChicago summers" in anticipation of no offers.

I don't believe this (duped is certainly a possibility) hence why I wanted to go through PMs, but nobody had relevant info so I posted it. WWW has 6 Chicago summers at Mayer so I can't really believe 3 would be getting no offered. But I want to get this concretely disproved so I can move on with bidding.

ETA: Also why I was reluctant to employ WWW since it would be pretty fucked up to email somebody like "hey is your firm no-offering people."

Also apologies if I freaked anybody out with the original post. Was meant to be like me asking for somebody with direct info and not meant to be like an announcement.

Wish you had come forth with this level of info in the first place. Definitely can't drop that bomb in an OCI thread without more information.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Just sounds fishy all around. Mayer has assignment coordinators but mostly a free market system. So I don't think less work = no offer. And why would it be happening to half of the uchicago class in unison.

Neal Patrick Harris

Postby Neal Patrick Harris » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Quality people at Mayer this year. Very unlikely it's true but I hope it isn't.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Ok final post on this subject:

1) I was mistaken this is about all Mayer Chicago summers and not just UChicago summers
2) Half their summer class has apparently stopped receiving work
3) There is nothing to substantiate that the stopping of work assignments is necessarily leading to any no offers and such a conclusion is purely speculation

I would appreciate it if anybody who quoted one of my previous posts deleted their posts quoting mine so people are not misinformed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:58 pm

K&E has started to go out, if anyone's waiting with bated breath.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:K&E has started to go out, if anyone's waiting with bated breath.

Care to elaborate? I have no idea what you mean.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K&E has started to go out, if anyone's waiting with bated breath.

Care to elaborate? I have no idea what you mean.

Kirkland and Ellis Scholar Award. Goes to the top 5% of the class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:53 pm

I hate myself for asking this question, trust me, but is pointing out that your highest grade is in contracts a good talking point for wanting to do transactional? I don't have many other talking points otherwise.

Return to “Legal Employment”