UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby 2014 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:t's just a struggle to interview well when that is the case.

(If I may) To expand on this, I think he means that it's harder to explain why you want to do M&A deals if you can't explain what excites you about M&A.

One good way to get around this is to talk with attorneys and learn the other reasons for picking a practice group (i.e. M&A is known for being team-oriented, bankruptcy is often known for working with a lot of different practice groups throughout a case, etc).

Yeah exactly. If you have work experience you are more likely to be able to effectively sell your corp love without putting your foot in the mouth. It's entirely possible to get there w/o work experience too though through other attorneys like Anon says or WSJ or whatever.

You guys got screwed on the QE thing. Last year it was w/ Northwestern at L20 a 2 michelin star restaurant , this year it's UChi only at an off brand fogo lol

Still go though, it's good practice and free refreshments.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:19 pm

2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(If I may) To expand on this, I think he means that it's harder to explain why you want to do M&A deals if you can't explain what excites you about M&A.

One good way to get around this is to talk with attorneys and learn the other reasons for picking a practice group (i.e. M&A is known for being team-oriented, bankruptcy is often known for working with a lot of different practice groups throughout a case, etc).

Yeah exactly. If you have work experience you are more likely to be able to effectively sell your corp love without putting your foot in the mouth. It's entirely possible to get there w/o work experience too though through other attorneys like Anon says or WSJ or whatever.

You guys got screwed on the QE thing. Last year it was w/ Northwestern at L20 a 2 michelin star restaurant , this year it's UChi only at an off brand fogo lol

No northwestern kids to interrupt my conversations with attorneys so they can shove business cards in their faces?

(actually happened)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No northwestern kids to interrupt my conversations with attorneys so they can shove business cards in their faces?

(actually happened)

LOL.

How do these things actually work as far as getting interviews? Is it all a ruse or do you actually need to make impressions on the QE people?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do these things actually work as far as getting interviews? Is it all a ruse or do you actually need to make impressions on the QE people?

Only somewhat, since QE requires decent grades. But if you make an impression on an attorney, they will reach out to you later and it seems likely that they put in a good word with recruiting. I spent most of my night with two associates. Each emailed me encouraging me to apply and had CC'd the hiring partner and the recruiting coordinator.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on the QE reception?

I've heard the Quinnception is great. Just don't work at Quinn.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How do these things actually work as far as getting interviews? Is it all a ruse or do you actually need to make impressions on the QE people?

If you hit it off with someone (or gave your "card" to an associate that's a nice person--I hear some were invited when they didn't even have a conversation with the associate), they will give your name to recruiting and (if your grades/resume/cover letter are decent) you get a callback. Basically, if you don't get an email from someone encouraging you to apply in June, you're wasting your time.

Postby 2014 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:22 pm

I know at least one person who didn't go to the reception who got a Quinnback and another who went but spent all of their time eating and got a CB just sending their resume to the generic recruiting email. I think the event certainly can help but i doubt it's necessary to excel at it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:30 pm

Isn't Quinn really grade selective? So is the reception moot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isn't Quinn really grade selective? So is the reception moot?

Definitely not moot. Is it secondary to grades, of course. But I'm sure it could boost someone on the margins, or give you favorable impression going into the CB.

Seriously though, go. You get great food/wine with no expectation of conversation if you're not interested/too weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isn't Quinn really grade selective? So is the reception moot?

Quinn isn't grade selective, but if you have good grades apparently you can get a cb without schmoozing at the reception.

Apparently mine weren't good enough :( (178)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 am

I don't know of any sub 178 quinnbacks but there was more to it than grades too. Not saying there werent any lower than that too, my information is far from perfect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know of any sub 178 quinnbacks but there was more to it than grades too. Not saying there werent any lower than that too, my information is far from perfect.

LOL @ quinnbacks.

1Ls: As shitty as some of these receptions can be, there's always booze and great food. I'd go to every one I could just to get used to speaking with attys--ESPECIALLY if you're uncomfortable talking to random people. The awkward/shy people that tend to dislike meeting new people are the people that should be going to these receptions and making mistakes while they don't matter (or, at least, matter much less than screeners).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd go to every one I could just to get used to speaking with attys--ESPECIALLY if you're uncomfortable talking to random people.

This is absolutely the right approach. Plus, it gives you something to talk about in your screener ("Why are you interested in our firm?" "I attended your 1L reception last spring and met X, Y, and Z, and learned about how your firm does ________."). For those who don't know what practice areas they are interested in, it's a chance for you to start learning about different practice areas as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:00 am

Just noticed this and I don't want to forget so I'm posting it now.

OCS (without telling us I suppose) published the check-in sheet for each day, so (if it's up & updated during the day) you can find out who your interviewer is that way. If it isn't, then you can use it to locate the name of your screener in preparation for your CB (it sucks for someone to ask who screened you and you don't remember).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:38 am

This is kind of late w/r/t Quinn-stuff, but for anyone still on the fence (which doesn't make sense to me since it's awesome food and booze and you can just hang out with your friends if you want): it's definitely possible to make good impressions that help you down the road even if you don't have great grades (think median-ish and below 178).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:45 pm

I've been researching some Los Angeles firms and I'm wondering if anyone can speak more about the major firms that come to OCI and the types of grades people should have to feel confident about bidding that market. I think LA was touched on earlier but if anyone cares to expand I would appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm pretty certain I did terribly on my property exam. Does anyone know what happens to people with a low/failing grade at OCI? Is there hope for not striking out? Also, how badly do people have to do to outright fail an exam?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty certain I did terribly on my property exam. Does anyone know what happens to people with a low/failing grade at OCI? Is there hope for not striking out? Also, how badly do people have to do to outright fail an exam?

Unless it's Helmholz, you have to do fairly bad to get a truly terrible grade. I've never heard of someone failing, and I've only heard stories of grades in the 160s (I may be wrong here, I'm just telling you what I know and have heard)

People with one low grade don't do horrible automatically, I know a few people with a grade below 175--and some had over 5 callbacks at v20 firms.

Some say it's just the average that matters, but in my opinion having high grades with one outlier is better than having average grades in everything. One problem is that two grades will show up on your transcript, and employers don't always know it's just one class.

You should be gunning over the summer to meet with as many attorneys as possible at every firm you can. If you're not going to get a job from having excellent grades--you need it another way. Start gunning to improve your network and your interviewing skills (meeting with attorneys will accomplish both at once). There is a post toward the beginning of this thread that outlines how to do that pretty well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty certain I did terribly on my property exam. Does anyone know what happens to people with a low/failing grade at OCI? Is there hope for not striking out? Also, how badly do people have to do to outright fail an exam?

Unless it's Helmholz, you have to do fairly bad to get a truly terrible grade. I've never heard of someone failing, and I've only heard stories of grades in the 160s (I may be wrong here, I'm just telling you what I know and have heard)

People with one low grade don't do horrible automatically, I know a few people with a grade below 175--and some had over 5 callbacks at v20 firms.

Some say it's just the average that matters, but in my opinion having high grades with one outlier is better than having average grades in everything. One problem is that two grades will show up on your transcript, and employers don't always know it's just one class.

You should be gunning over the summer to meet with as many attorneys as possible at every firm you can. If you're not going to get a job from having excellent grades--you need it another way. Start gunning to improve your network and your interviewing skills (meeting with attorneys will accomplish both at once). There is a post toward the beginning of this thread that outlines how to do that pretty well.

Thanks for the advice and for the info about grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm looking at the firm-wise list and was wondering which firms are not as picky about grades when it comes to choosing their summer associates come OCI this summer. I'd like to target firms that I realistically stand a chance at, ones that recruit students at or below median or aren't particularly concerned with grades, but rather work experience and someone with strong interpersonal skills. A little background about myself, if it helps any, I am from the mid-west and am open to working nearly anywhere with an exception being New York, wife's orders. Thanks in advance for any info!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking at the firm-wise list and was wondering which firms are not as picky about grades when it comes to choosing their summer associates come OCI this summer. I'd like to target firms that I realistically stand a chance at, ones that recruit students at or below median or aren't particularly concerned with grades, but rather work experience and someone with strong interpersonal skills. A little background about myself, if it helps any, I am from the mid-west and am open to working nearly anywhere with an exception being New York, wife's orders. Thanks in advance for any info!

With below median grades start warming up to New York.

Postby 2014 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking at the firm-wise list and was wondering which firms are not as picky about grades when it comes to choosing their summer associates come OCI this summer. I'd like to target firms that I realistically stand a chance at, ones that recruit students at or below median or aren't particularly concerned with grades, but rather work experience and someone with strong interpersonal skills. A little background about myself, if it helps any, I am from the mid-west and am open to working nearly anywhere with an exception being New York, wife's orders. Thanks in advance for any info!

DC is going to be pretty much a no-go, Texas will be a no-go without ties, SF is competitive and tech-driven leaving you with Chicago or LA.

In Chicago you shouldn't rule out anywhere, but your chances are not great at K&E, Sidley or probably Jenner, but it's possible. Those represent three of the largest summer classes here, so your odds go down considerably and you probably can't be picky, but it is what it is.

In LA don't even bother with Irell, Munger or probably Gibson but the rest are probably in play, but you are going to have to sell why Cali better than because I like the weather.

You really should sit down with your wife and discuss debt+unemployment vs New York and see how strong her preferences are. It can be a short term move but failing to get your first job at OCI is a career limiting thing.
Last edited by 2014 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:23 pm

In my opinion, you should bid 5 of your first 15 bids as new york safeties, and then bid normally if you wish. Pick up all NY firms possible on add/drop. Then bid however and hope you land a safety. As said above, it's extremely career-limiting to strike out, so you should at least have the option of going to NY for a summer and then doing 3L OCI.

You should also be mass-mailing firms like crazy, try to grab a job at a midwest firm in your city.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:33 pm

It seems crazy to totally exclude NYC if your grades are low.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:38 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:It seems crazy to totally exclude NYC if your grades are low.

That's because it is, Mal Reynolds!

3L OCI is basically only available to people who had 2L SAs, so OP could go for three months and then (hopefully) snag something else. (at least, it's better than striking out and having 0 shot at 3LOLCI)

Return to “Legal Employment”