UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:22 pm

2014 wrote:As far as i know they basically are all amenable to part time and most professors hire, it's still just very early for RA hiring.

Yeah. I'm a 2L and looking for some extra spending money and I find I have a lot of time on my hands.. should I just knock on some doors of profs I like?

Any other advice for part-time employment (that would look good on a resume) would be great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Is it possible to do a part-time RA gig over the summer if you're not in Chicago?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to do a part-time RA gig over the summer if you're not in Chicago?

Possible yes, probable--not so much. Some professors are cool with never seeing you and others (Posner) have meetings regularly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:27 pm

So I applied to be an RA for a professor I like. They seem to get back to you a lot faster than other jobs. Does anyone know the protocol on accepting an offer for an RA spot? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm just curious if they give you some time to think about it or whether you have to accept in a short time frame. Just curious how to rectify RA applications with other, slower turnaround jobs. I definitely don't want to ruffle any professor feathers.

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:08 pm

They tend to be chill about it from what I know. He/she should be amenable to giving you a little time to figure your other options out. Feel free to PM me the prof name and i can give you any specific anecdote I have

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I applied to be an RA for a professor I like. They seem to get back to you a lot faster than other jobs. Does anyone know the protocol on accepting an offer for an RA spot? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm just curious if they give you some time to think about it or whether you have to accept in a short time frame. Just curious how to rectify RA applications with other, slower turnaround jobs. I definitely don't want to ruffle any professor feathers.

I'm curious if we applied to the same one. Sent in an app earlier this week and heard back three hours later.

On an extremely related note: is a suit TCR for what sounds like a pretty informal RA interview? Prof just asked if I could stop by his office, so suit seems like potentially overkill. Was thinking nice button down + sweater.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I applied to be an RA for a professor I like. They seem to get back to you a lot faster than other jobs. Does anyone know the protocol on accepting an offer for an RA spot? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm just curious if they give you some time to think about it or whether you have to accept in a short time frame. Just curious how to rectify RA applications with other, slower turnaround jobs. I definitely don't want to ruffle any professor feathers.

I'm curious if we applied to the same one. Sent in an app earlier this week and heard back three hours later.

If there is a god of U Chicago I applied to be an RA for his one and only son. Does that answer your question?

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

On an extremely related note: is a suit TCR for what sounds like a pretty informal RA interview? Prof just asked if I could stop by his office, so suit seems like potentially overkill. Was thinking nice button down + sweater.

Whatever you are wearing to class is almost certainly fine assuming you are like 99% here and have some sort of a collar on. They won't care most likely regardless but leave the band tees at home maybe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If there is a god of U Chicago I applied to be an RA for his one and only son. Does that answer your question?

Yep, same one. GL dude.

2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Whatever you are wearing to class is almost certainly fine assuming you are like 99% here and have some sort of a collar on. They won't care most likely regardless but leave the band tees at home maybe.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:20 pm

RA positions to date have been full time. Do part-time positions appear later in the year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:RA positions to date have been full time. Do part-time positions appear later in the year?

If memory serves, there are positions that get posted as late as May. I am not sure that posting time correlates with full vs. part-time though.

FWIW, pretty sure Hubbard, Stone, Abebe, Levmore, Casey, and a couple others all hired at least one part-time RA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 pm

So. . . What are the interviews for RA positions like with the professors (in terms of content)? Are they just like any other job interview, or do professors ask different questions? What should one expect for this kind of thing?

Postby 2014 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So. . . What are the interviews for RA positions like with the professors (in terms of content)? Are they just like any other job interview, or do professors ask different questions? What should one expect for this kind of thing?

Completely faculty dependent. I know some who asked questions based on resumes, others who just wanted to talk about life, and at least one who hired without interviewing at all.

E - Since E Posner seems to have come up here, if you are referring to him I think he leans toward resume/standard job type questions

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So. . . What are the interviews for RA positions like with the professors (in terms of content)? Are they just like any other job interview, or do professors ask different questions? What should one expect for this kind of thing?

I've had two so far this year - yet to hear back on both - and they've both just been casual conversations. Both seemed to expect me to drive the conversation with questions, which I was only moderately prepared to do. It seemed more like they were gauging personal fit than anything. Don't be surprised if you talk about their research more than yourself.

I don't think I was asked a single "job interview" question in either, except for the basic, "why do you want to RA?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:26 am

Thanks for the replies.

Although there seems to be an affinity on here for Posner, I am actually talking about different profs.

Additionally, are these things based largely around "fit" and past experience, or are they like 1L SAs where you need top grades but even those are only a necessary but insufficient factor to landing one of these gigs?

Postby 2014 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:01 am

Many (most?) will claim to not even look at their RA's transcript. It seems like they care way more about how much babysitting they will have to do and how irritating they perceive you to be 1 on 1.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Although there seems to be an affinity on here for Posner, I am actually talking about different profs.

Additionally, are these things based largely around "fit" and past experience, or are they like 1L SAs where you need top grades but even those are only a necessary but insufficient factor to landing one of these gigs?

I can tell you grades generally don't matter. I think the most meaningful thing for potential RAs is personal fit and your academic background. For instance, being able to show through your past experiences that you can understand math when applying to a prof doing economics or financial stuff will probably do more for you than 180s.

I was hired by a big-name guy despite below median fall quarter grades. This was because I had the exact background the prof needed for the various menial tasks that I ended up performing for $11/hr. I didn't even have to interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Got an RA job just by walking in his/her office and asking for one. Depends on the prof, tho.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:08 pm

So I have a job offer with a Chicago governmental agency. Does anyone have any experience with notifying other pending jobs? I have some apps out to firms in my hometown's secondary market. I don't want to sound like a douche, but I would love to maybe speed up the process if there is a way to do that. I was thinking like "I have an offer in Chicago, and I need to notify them by next week, although I would still love to work for your firm," etc. Would that burn any bridges?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have a job offer with a Chicago governmental agency. Does anyone have any experience with notifying other pending jobs? I have some apps out to firms in my hometown's secondary market. I don't want to sound like a douche, but I would love to maybe speed up the process if there is a way to do that. I was thinking like "I have an offer in Chicago, and I need to notify them by next week, although I would still love to work for your firm," etc. Would that burn any bridges?

Of course not.

Postby 2014 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have a job offer with a Chicago governmental agency. Does anyone have any experience with notifying other pending jobs? I have some apps out to firms in my hometown's secondary market. I don't want to sound like a douche, but I would love to maybe speed up the process if there is a way to do that. I was thinking like "I have an offer in Chicago, and I need to notify them by next week, although I would still love to work for your firm," etc. Would that burn any bridges?

Definitely not, you should let them know. Fyi if you haven't interviewed with a firm yet I would put your odds at approximately 0% and if you CBed and are just waiting for a final decision your odds at this point are slim and rapidly approaching zero.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, just don't want you or anyone else to pass on what might be your best opportunity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:06 pm

2014 wrote:

Definitely not, you should let them know. Fyi if you haven't interviewed with a firm yet I would put your odds at approximately 0% and if you CBed and are just waiting for a final decision your odds at this point are slim and rapidly approaching zero.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, just don't want you or anyone else to pass on what might be your best opportunity.

The latter is not necessarily correct. A lot of firms waited until late February (and some even March/April) before extending offers. The only market that moved lightening quick was Texas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:54 pm

Anyone heard back from Microsoft yet?

Postby 20141023 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:03 am

Dear Microsoft:

I know you said that you'd get back to us by Tuesday at the latest, but I guess that you wanted to build up the suspense. Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to send out ding emails at 10:30pm on a Friday night - it has been a great way to start the weekend.

Love,

Anonymous Applicant

P.S. I hope Windows 8 dies in a fire.

Return to “Legal Employment”