UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:07 am

how would you evaluate an offer from a midsize firm for a 1L SA position? any downside to taking it, esp re: 2L OCI, say?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:how would you evaluate an offer from a midsize firm for a 1L SA position? any downside to taking it, esp re: 2L OCI, say?


If it's legal, you're probably okay.

It'll be harder to spin at OCI though, but it can be done.

Remember, focus on the positives. If you say you want to go to biglaw for "more interesting work" then a recruiter who's familiar with typical associate work will find you naive (caveat: may work at some law firms- like S&C)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Try your best not to email people with jobs right before you interview for it. (aka, 1L OCI right now). Do it earlier.

EDIT: That being said, it can't hurt you---so if you have the time and you didn't have a chance to talk to them earlier, go for it.. You just might be wasting your time if no connection is established.


Somewhat covered in the edit but I wanted to state that I certainly don't operate this way and neither do the majority of 2Ls I know with 1L SA experience. We all played this game for much of the past year, and understand that your priority when getting in touch with us is to learn about a place you want to hire you. Obviously you can learn more by building a relationship and will get more detailed answers from someone you know well, but if you have an interview with my firm in 45 minutes I'm happy to give you a quick run down of talking points. In no way would I be offended by someone "using" me for this type of info.

In general, never be afraid to ask other U Chicago students for advice/info. You will almost never get "you should have asked me yesterday" as a response.


I completely agree. I'm just saying, if possible--the sooner the better.

I've been getting multiple emails asking "did you like your experience" and then immediately followed up with "can I use you in my cover letter," and it's a bit off-putting. I've also been told by mentors at firms that they prefer meeting earlier in the summer because when you ask to meet right before OCI it looks less like "I want to learn about your experience" and more like "I want a name to drop."

If you forgot, didn't have the time, etc. asking right before an interview is fine; but a prudent 1L asks when there isn't this suspicion. And that's what I'm trying to encourage.


Also--the run down of talking points often works better when there's already a connection established. But I agree that's a great way to make sure you're ready for the interview.


I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. Frankly, as someone who has gone through the process, I understand all the BS/posturing involved. I would appreciate the honesty of someone who e-mails me somewhat last minute, and find myself able to relate to him or her.

Alternatively, someone who is e-mailing me 6 months before the process starts might come off extremely gunnerish, and I would possibly find it off-putting. At the end of the day, I know your intent is the same as the person who e-mails me last minute.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Try your best not to email people with jobs right before you interview for it. (aka, 1L OCI right now). Do it earlier.

EDIT: That being said, it can't hurt you---so if you have the time and you didn't have a chance to talk to them earlier, go for it.. You just might be wasting your time if no connection is established.


Somewhat covered in the edit but I wanted to state that I certainly don't operate this way and neither do the majority of 2Ls I know with 1L SA experience. We all played this game for much of the past year, and understand that your priority when getting in touch with us is to learn about a place you want to hire you. Obviously you can learn more by building a relationship and will get more detailed answers from someone you know well, but if you have an interview with my firm in 45 minutes I'm happy to give you a quick run down of talking points. In no way would I be offended by someone "using" me for this type of info.

In general, never be afraid to ask other U Chicago students for advice/info. You will almost never get "you should have asked me yesterday" as a response.


I completely agree. I'm just saying, if possible--the sooner the better.

I've been getting multiple emails asking "did you like your experience" and then immediately followed up with "can I use you in my cover letter," and it's a bit off-putting. I've also been told by mentors at firms that they prefer meeting earlier in the summer because when you ask to meet right before OCI it looks less like "I want to learn about your experience" and more like "I want a name to drop."

If you forgot, didn't have the time, etc. asking right before an interview is fine; but a prudent 1L asks when there isn't this suspicion. And that's what I'm trying to encourage.


Also--the run down of talking points often works better when there's already a connection established. But I agree that's a great way to make sure you're ready for the interview.


I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. Frankly, as someone who has gone through the process, I understand all the BS/posturing involved. I would appreciate the honesty of someone who e-mails me somewhat last minute, and find myself able to relate to him or her.

Alternatively, someone who is e-mailing me 6 months before the process starts might come off extremely gunnerish, and I would possibly find it off-putting. At the end of the day, I know your intent is the same as the person who e-mails me last minute.


It's totally acceptable that there's two schools of thought to this. But if the first one exists (and I know multiple 2Ls who have complained that tons of 1Ls emailed them right before their interviews for 1L OCI--so I think it does), it's better to look like a gunner than to make the others distrust your sincerity.

Additionally, it's a lot easier to post advice to this thread if there isn't people jumping at the bit to argue against it. I feel like people at our school do that more than I've seen in other school threads.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:31 pm

I've heard that 1L in-house positions are very difficult to get with just resume drops - you need to have networked your way into one. Is that true? Any general advice on getting these if you have no connections?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:24 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5833
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby 2014 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 pm

I disagree that it will be harder to spin, I think there are no disadvantages, but the anon who said it might have some reason for their opinion.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:43 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:45 am

How do you distinguish between midlaw and biglaw anyway? Is it based on salary? Total number of lawyers? Number of lawyers at the particular office?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:52 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:56 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how would you evaluate an offer from a midsize firm for a 1L SA position? any downside to taking it, esp re: 2L OCI, say?
If it's legal, you're probably okay.

It'll be harder to spin at OCI though, but it can be done.

Remember, focus on the positives. If you say you want to go to biglaw for "more interesting work" then a recruiter who's familiar with typical associate work will find you naive (caveat: may work at some law firms- like S&C)
I am in the same boat as the OP to this question (reaching out to midlaw firms in my home market, though no offers yet), and your response intrigues me. What makes you think that a midlaw position would be any "harder to spin at OCI" than a public-interest gig, a governmental job, a research assistant, or a position in one of the clinics? Everything I've heard up until now suggests your first point - that "if it's legal, you're probably okay." Is it not apparent to biglaw firms at 2L OCI that someone might have done a midlaw 1L SA because they wanted to do biglaw but the 1L SA market is extremely limited and so they went with the next best thing instead?


Just because it's likely a different market and it's easy to bash midlaw in an interview and keeping things positive is the goal. You'll also likely be doing less-interesting work (I assumed midlaw midlaw--like 30 attys, not midwest biglaw or anything).

I feel like with PI/Clinical it's easier to do cool stuff that you can talk about in an interview and get excited about.. if that makes sense. You want to display enthusiasm and I found it harder to do so when I worked for a midlaw firm (plus I feel like attorneys thought less of me in the back of their mind... but that may have been in my head).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard that 1L in-house positions are very difficult to get with just resume drops - you need to have networked your way into one. Is that true? Any general advice on getting these if you have no connections?


Apply through simplicity, Microsoft at 1L OCI (if they're doing it this year). Otherwise, I'm unfamiliar with the hiring process or where you'd even apply.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:20 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:32 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just because it's likely a different market and it's easy to bash midlaw in an interview and keeping things positive is the goal. You'll also likely be doing less-interesting work (I assumed midlaw midlaw--like 30 attys, not midwest biglaw or anything).

I feel like with PI/Clinical it's easier to do cool stuff that you can talk about in an interview and get excited about.. if that makes sense. You want to display enthusiasm and I found it harder to do so when I worked for a midlaw firm (plus I feel like attorneys thought less of me in the back of their mind... but that may have been in my head).
The offices of the places I am reaching out to in my hometown only have about 30~50 people, but the firm in general has 200~300 attorneys. So I think we're on the same page, but just referring to different numbers (one office versus firm-wide). I think that if an entire firm only had <100 employees, but especially <50, that would be more along the lines of "small-law," isn't it? Of course, this excludes elite boutique firms. (I know these are not particularly meaningful terms, but just to get a general idea.)


Not too familiar with TLS jargon. If it's a reputable firm, I assume you're fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm looking for some insight here as to my 1L summer.

Background: I'm from a pretty small Midwestern secondary market with few large firms, so I only applied to four firms. I'm looking to do biglaw post-graduation in either Chicago or my home market. My ties to Chicago are fairly weak (but not nonexistent) while my ties to my secondary are very strong.

I interviewed for a PI position in Chicago recently and was really impressed; I definitely think I would like to work there--they told me they would extend a formal offer next week and then I'll have one week from that time to decide.

I interviewed with a law firm in my secondary in December; I thought it went really well and they let me know that they would be interviewing through February and were planning on sending out offers after that. However, since I checked in with them while submitting my grades, they told me that if I get another job offer I should let them know and they will try to work with my deadline. I'm guessing that kind of a statement doesn't really have any implications regarding my chance of actually getting an offer?

In the meantime I've also received interview requests from two more firms in my secondary that I applied to. I've asked for some more time to figure things out so I have yet to schedule the interviews. Also based on the content of their messages it seems like they're looking for me to hit them up whenever I'll be home next. I wasn't planning on leaving Chicago again this quarter, so I assume that means I'll have to make my own plans w.r.t transportation and such and that could get expensive and time-consuming.

So I guess the summation of this is I can't decide whether or not I should accept the PI offer.

My reasoning for accepting is:
- I can be done with the 1L job search sooner so I can focus on other stuff
- I legitimately liked the organization and think it would be a great experience
- Since I will probably work for a firm my 2L summer this might be my only chance to experience PI
- It's pretty well-regarded so I doubt it would create any issues for 2L OCI
- I can better demonstrate an interest in Chicago incase I want to work for a firm here
- I get to stay in my current place and with my SO who will be here over the summer
- There's no guarantee (and probably not even a good chance) of a 1L SA offer based on what I have atm
- Holding out for an SA and failing would probably result in having to resort to RAing over the summer which is not something I want to do

However, I am still wavering mainly because the firms are well-regarded in my home market and are the exact firms I would want to work for if I do ultimately choose to return for biglaw rather than stay in Chicago (or god forbid, go to NY for lack of any other options).

What do you guys think?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking for some insight here as to my 1L summer.

Background: I'm from a pretty small Midwestern secondary market with few large firms, so I only applied to four firms. I'm looking to do biglaw post-graduation in either Chicago or my home market. My ties to Chicago are fairly weak (but not nonexistent) while my ties to my secondary are very strong.

I interviewed for a PI position in Chicago recently and was really impressed; I definitely think I would like to work there--they told me they would extend a formal offer next week and then I'll have one week from that time to decide.

I interviewed with a law firm in my secondary in December; I thought it went really well and they let me know that they would be interviewing through February and were planning on sending out offers after that. However, since I checked in with them while submitting my grades, they told me that if I get another job offer I should let them know and they will try to work with my deadline. I'm guessing that kind of a statement doesn't really have any implications regarding my chance of actually getting an offer?

In the meantime I've also received interview requests from two more firms in my secondary that I applied to. I've asked for some more time to figure things out so I have yet to schedule the interviews. Also based on the content of their messages it seems like they're looking for me to hit them up whenever I'll be home next. I wasn't planning on leaving Chicago again this quarter, so I assume that means I'll have to make my own plans w.r.t transportation and such and that could get expensive and time-consuming.

So I guess the summation of this is I can't decide whether or not I should accept the PI offer.

My reasoning for accepting is:
- I can be done with the 1L job search sooner so I can focus on other stuff
- I legitimately liked the organization and think it would be a great experience
- Since I will probably work for a firm my 2L summer this might be my only chance to experience PI
- It's pretty well-regarded so I doubt it would create any issues for 2L OCI
- I can better demonstrate an interest in Chicago incase I want to work for a firm here
- I get to stay in my current place and with my SO who will be here over the summer
- There's no guarantee (and probably not even a good chance) of a 1L SA offer based on what I have atm
- Holding out for an SA and failing would probably result in having to resort to RAing over the summer which is not something I want to do

However, I am still wavering mainly because the firms are well-regarded in my home market and are the exact firms I would want to work for if I do ultimately choose to return for biglaw rather than stay in Chicago (or god forbid, go to NY for lack of any other options).

What do you guys think?

This situation is somewhat similar to one I had last year and I ultimately elected to pursue the firm thing (unsuccessfully) but don't regret it. Keep in mind that the goal is to get a job next year, and turning down firms for interviews this year might have the effect of making them think you are disinterested when it matters. Plus if they are interviewing you, the chance is at least alright that you will be hired.

PI positions can be hit or miss, even if the organization seems great. Sometimes they don't have the time or resources to actually have you do anything other than sit there and occasionally research something. Other times you get a lot of hands on experience, it's really tough to predict.

I respect your concern though, I think I obviously lean toward doing the firm interviews and trying to line up more PI interviews for soon after, but you can't go wrong.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking for some insight here as to my 1L summer.

Background: I'm from a pretty small Midwestern secondary market with few large firms, so I only applied to four firms. I'm looking to do biglaw post-graduation in either Chicago or my home market. My ties to Chicago are fairly weak (but not nonexistent) while my ties to my secondary are very strong.

I interviewed for a PI position in Chicago recently and was really impressed; I definitely think I would like to work there--they told me they would extend a formal offer next week and then I'll have one week from that time to decide.

I interviewed with a law firm in my secondary in December; I thought it went really well and they let me know that they would be interviewing through February and were planning on sending out offers after that. However, since I checked in with them while submitting my grades, they told me that if I get another job offer I should let them know and they will try to work with my deadline. I'm guessing that kind of a statement doesn't really have any implications regarding my chance of actually getting an offer?

In the meantime I've also received interview requests from two more firms in my secondary that I applied to. I've asked for some more time to figure things out so I have yet to schedule the interviews. Also based on the content of their messages it seems like they're looking for me to hit them up whenever I'll be home next. I wasn't planning on leaving Chicago again this quarter, so I assume that means I'll have to make my own plans w.r.t transportation and such and that could get expensive and time-consuming.

So I guess the summation of this is I can't decide whether or not I should accept the PI offer.

My reasoning for accepting is:
- I can be done with the 1L job search sooner so I can focus on other stuff
- I legitimately liked the organization and think it would be a great experience
- Since I will probably work for a firm my 2L summer this might be my only chance to experience PI
- It's pretty well-regarded so I doubt it would create any issues for 2L OCI
- I can better demonstrate an interest in Chicago incase I want to work for a firm here
- I get to stay in my current place and with my SO who will be here over the summer
- There's no guarantee (and probably not even a good chance) of a 1L SA offer based on what I have atm
- Holding out for an SA and failing would probably result in having to resort to RAing over the summer which is not something I want to do

However, I am still wavering mainly because the firms are well-regarded in my home market and are the exact firms I would want to work for if I do ultimately choose to return for biglaw rather than stay in Chicago (or god forbid, go to NY for lack of any other options).

What do you guys think?

This situation is somewhat similar to one I had last year and I ultimately elected to pursue the firm thing (unsuccessfully) but don't regret it. Keep in mind that the goal is to get a job next year, and turning down firms for interviews this year might have the effect of making them think you are disinterested when it matters. Plus if they are interviewing you, the chance is at least alright that you will be hired.

PI positions can be hit or miss, even if the organization seems great. Sometimes they don't have the time or resources to actually have you do anything other than sit there and occasionally research something. Other times you get a lot of hands on experience, it's really tough to predict.

I respect your concern though, I think I obviously lean toward doing the firm interviews and trying to line up more PI interviews for soon after, but you can't go wrong.


Thanks for the advice. I didn't think declining interviews would have the possibility of harming my chances for 2L summer. Would canceling a scheduled interview because of a job offer be just as bad/worse? What would be a good way to articulate reasons for turning them down for a PI gig? I figure I can emphasize that I really want to be in Chicago this summer because of my SO (while also noting that SO will be mobile by summer 2015 so it won't be a future issue). Would it be a bad idea to note that I would like to wrap up my job search to focus on school, or to mention that I would like to get a little PI experience because I'm very committed to working for a firm post-graduation?

If I do decide to go forward with the attempting to land an SA route, would it be rude/presumptuous to ask firms if they could help me financially with transportation to the interviews?

I'm also a lot more concerned with working in my secondary hurting my chances at a Chicago firm than working in Chicago hurting my chances at a secondary market firm. My ties are really strong not just on paper but in person too; I definitely have a lot of really legitimate connections to my hometown and can talk about them authentically and enthusiastically in interviews ad nauseum lol.

The hit or miss aspect of PI is part of the reason I am wary about not taking this position. I've had input from people who worked there before and I've heard nothing but positive things about the experience, so I worry about rolling the odds with random agencies or organizations down the road that could be cool but could also be really meh. I did manage to get an interview with my #1 choice for clinic, so that could function as a backup plan I suppose, but I don't know what the odds for landing that are either.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking for some insight here as to my 1L summer.

Background: I'm from a pretty small Midwestern secondary market with few large firms, so I only applied to four firms. I'm looking to do biglaw post-graduation in either Chicago or my home market. My ties to Chicago are fairly weak (but not nonexistent) while my ties to my secondary are very strong.

I interviewed for a PI position in Chicago recently and was really impressed; I definitely think I would like to work there--they told me they would extend a formal offer next week and then I'll have one week from that time to decide.

I interviewed with a law firm in my secondary in December; I thought it went really well and they let me know that they would be interviewing through February and were planning on sending out offers after that. However, since I checked in with them while submitting my grades, they told me that if I get another job offer I should let them know and they will try to work with my deadline. I'm guessing that kind of a statement doesn't really have any implications regarding my chance of actually getting an offer?

In the meantime I've also received interview requests from two more firms in my secondary that I applied to. I've asked for some more time to figure things out so I have yet to schedule the interviews. Also based on the content of their messages it seems like they're looking for me to hit them up whenever I'll be home next. I wasn't planning on leaving Chicago again this quarter, so I assume that means I'll have to make my own plans w.r.t transportation and such and that could get expensive and time-consuming.

So I guess the summation of this is I can't decide whether or not I should accept the PI offer.

My reasoning for accepting is:
- I can be done with the 1L job search sooner so I can focus on other stuff
- I legitimately liked the organization and think it would be a great experience
- Since I will probably work for a firm my 2L summer this might be my only chance to experience PI
- It's pretty well-regarded so I doubt it would create any issues for 2L OCI
- I can better demonstrate an interest in Chicago incase I want to work for a firm here
- I get to stay in my current place and with my SO who will be here over the summer
- There's no guarantee (and probably not even a good chance) of a 1L SA offer based on what I have atm
- Holding out for an SA and failing would probably result in having to resort to RAing over the summer which is not something I want to do

However, I am still wavering mainly because the firms are well-regarded in my home market and are the exact firms I would want to work for if I do ultimately choose to return for biglaw rather than stay in Chicago (or god forbid, go to NY for lack of any other options).

What do you guys think?

This situation is somewhat similar to one I had last year and I ultimately elected to pursue the firm thing (unsuccessfully) but don't regret it. Keep in mind that the goal is to get a job next year, and turning down firms for interviews this year might have the effect of making them think you are disinterested when it matters. Plus if they are interviewing you, the chance is at least alright that you will be hired.

PI positions can be hit or miss, even if the organization seems great. Sometimes they don't have the time or resources to actually have you do anything other than sit there and occasionally research something. Other times you get a lot of hands on experience, it's really tough to predict.

I respect your concern though, I think I obviously lean toward doing the firm interviews and trying to line up more PI interviews for soon after, but you can't go wrong.


Thanks for the advice. I didn't think declining interviews would have the possibility of harming my chances for 2L summer. Would canceling a scheduled interview because of a job offer be just as bad/worse? What would be a good way to articulate reasons for turning them down for a PI gig? I figure I can emphasize that I really want to be in Chicago this summer because of my SO (while also noting that SO will be mobile by summer 2015 so it won't be a future issue). Would it be a bad idea to note that I would like to wrap up my job search to focus on school, or to mention that I would like to get a little PI experience because I'm very committed to working for a firm post-graduation?

If I do decide to go forward with the attempting to land an SA route, would it be rude/presumptuous to ask firms if they could help me financially with transportation to the interviews?

I'm also a lot more concerned with working in my secondary hurting my chances at a Chicago firm than working in Chicago hurting my chances at a secondary market firm. My ties are really strong not just on paper but in person too; I definitely have a lot of really legitimate connections to my hometown and can talk about them authentically and enthusiastically in interviews ad nauseum lol.

The hit or miss aspect of PI is part of the reason I am wary about not taking this position. I've had input from people who worked there before and I've heard nothing but positive things about the experience, so I worry about rolling the odds with random agencies or organizations down the road that could be cool but could also be really meh. I did manage to get an interview with my #1 choice for clinic, so that could function as a backup plan I suppose, but I don't know what the odds for landing that are either.



You need to figure out where you want to be for 2L summer and post-grad. The PI is probably better for Chicago, the 1L SA is definitely better if you want that market, and turning down the SA (or withdrawing from consideration to work in Chicago) will likely hurt you in the midwest market 2L summer (I had the managing partner bring it up in my interview 2nd summer).

That all being said, if you want Chi 2L I would wait until you get the formal offer, and then tell the midwest firm about it and say you have a week to decide. At worst, the firm dings you before the end of that week and you work for the PI in Chicago, at best the firm hires you. Would need more info to be sure though.


Couple more things: If you want a PI experience, the money difference (15k) isn't too much in the long run (though, admittedly it is now) and this may be your only chance to get that experience. Coupled with not wanting to be an RA (not interested in theoretical stuff/research), then the "worst" option above doesn't sound that bad...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:32 pm

If I have a callback in another market, what's the general protocol for reaching out to alums at that office to find out more info about the firm? Just email them and ask questions? Unfortunately it's a smaller office and there's nobody currently at the school who's been there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:27 pm

Does anyone know of any professors hiring for a part-time RA position? I see Nou and Masur on simplicity, but I'm hoping there are other options.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I have a callback in another market, what's the general protocol for reaching out to alums at that office to find out more info about the firm? Just email them and ask questions? Unfortunately it's a smaller office and there's nobody currently at the school who's been there.


If you already have the callback and don't have a contact it might be better just to ask questions at the callback (this is the advice given to me last year).

But if you must, I'd look for someone in a practice area you're interested in that seems nice from their firm picture (not kidding-I can usually tell who I'd get along with by their picture), and email them and ask if they would mind a phone call where you can ask questions about the practice area, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I have a callback in another market, what's the general protocol for reaching out to alums at that office to find out more info about the firm? Just email them and ask questions? Unfortunately it's a smaller office and there's nobody currently at the school who's been there.


If you already have the callback and don't have a contact it might be better just to ask questions at the callback (this is the advice given to me last year).

But if you must, I'd look for someone in a practice area you're interested in that seems nice from their firm picture (not kidding-I can usually tell who I'd get along with by their picture), and email them and ask if they would mind a phone call where you can ask questions about the practice area, etc.


What about meeting with people from other offices to learn about the firm generally? Is that useful at all?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273516
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I have a callback in another market, what's the general protocol for reaching out to alums at that office to find out more info about the firm? Just email them and ask questions? Unfortunately it's a smaller office and there's nobody currently at the school who's been there.


If you already have the callback and don't have a contact it might be better just to ask questions at the callback (this is the advice given to me last year).

But if you must, I'd look for someone in a practice area you're interested in that seems nice from their firm picture (not kidding-I can usually tell who I'd get along with by their picture), and email them and ask if they would mind a phone call where you can ask questions about the practice area, etc.


What about meeting with people from other offices to learn about the firm generally? Is that useful at all?


Sure. You can generally get a sense of a firm's cultures, their values, their work/life balance, strategic vision for the future of the firm, training programs, etc from it. Better than nothing.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of any professors hiring for a part-time RA position? I see Nou and Masur on simplicity, but I'm hoping there are other options.


Strahilevitz just hired an RA. From what I hear, a relative flurry of postings will be coming in the next month or so. Not sure who all will be hiring, or how many will be part-time.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5833
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby 2014 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:57 am

As far as i know they basically are all amenable to part time and most professors hire, it's still just very early for RA hiring.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.