UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 pm

Here are the 1L OCI interviewers. I know it's probably moot since there are only four firms and one in house job, but is there any smart bid? Like is everyone going to bid latham because it's latham? Thanks. It probably won't lead to much but I at least thought I would ask.

Eimer Stahl LLP (Chicago, IL)

Grippo & Elden (Chicago, IL)

Latham & Watkins (Chicago, IL)

Microsoft Corporation (Redmond, WA

Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson PA (Miami, FL)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Grippo, Microsoft, and Stearns Weaver hired 1Ls from here last year. Don't bid Stearns without Florida ties (though anywhere in Florida might suffice), don't bid Microsoft without a science/tech background I'm guessing. In your shoes that leaves the decision between Grippo (probably more likely to hire but might CB less) or Latham (vice versa). I would probably do Latham if my grades stood out and Grippo if they didn't.

Since I posted that and inevitably several 1Ls will see it, it might be justification to bid Eimer though if you anticipate people to follow my advice. The blessing and curse of the OCI system lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Grippo and Eimer are both litigation boutiques that are pretty selective, but that's really going to be the case for any 1L SA position. The types who get offers from these firms are all in the running for clerkships ( mostly COA level). I wouldn't necessarily shy away from bidding them if you didn't have super high grades, but chances are low.

Latham is the only option if you want to do transactional work and aren't from Florida.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Can anyone speak on how hard it is to get into the clinics as a 1L? How late can you apply and still nab a position?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Grippo, Microsoft, and Stearns Weaver hired 1Ls from here last year. Don't bid Stearns without Florida ties (though anywhere in Florida might suffice), don't bid Microsoft without a science/tech background I'm guessing. In your shoes that leaves the decision between Grippo (probably more likely to hire but might CB less) or Latham (vice versa). I would probably do Latham if my grades stood out and Grippo if they didn't.

Since I posted that and inevitably several 1Ls will see it, it might be justification to bid Eimer though if you anticipate people to follow my advice. The blessing and curse of the OCI system lol

Fair guess, but not true. The 2L working at Microsoft didn't have a sci/tech bkgrnd.

Microsoft was also an awesome place to work from what I hear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak on how hard it is to get into the clinics as a 1L? How late can you apply and still nab a position?

There's an application deadline. And certain clinics are harder to get than others (it depends on demand). If you want one and aren't picky, though, you can probably get one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Grippo, Microsoft, and Stearns Weaver hired 1Ls from here last year. Don't bid Stearns without Florida ties (though anywhere in Florida might suffice), don't bid Microsoft without a science/tech background I'm guessing. In your shoes that leaves the decision between Grippo (probably more likely to hire but might CB less) or Latham (vice versa). I would probably do Latham if my grades stood out and Grippo if they didn't.

Fair guess, but not true. The 2L working at Microsoft didn't have a sci/tech bkgrnd.

What about ties to Seattle? I've never even been to Washington. I probably shouldn't put Microsoft over Latham then, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What about ties to Seattle? I've never even been to Washington. I probably shouldn't put Microsoft over Latham then, right?

Previous people that got a job at Microsoft were not from Washington. However, if you are looking at them vs. Latham, consider what you'd enjoy more, assuming you have an equal chance at both. Surely working at Latham is a different experience; probably worth talking to people who worked at either of those places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak on how hard it is to get into the clinics as a 1L? How late can you apply and still nab a position?

Did not do a clinic, but had an offer to do one. Some of the less demanded ones were the ones where people came away saying they got the best experience by the way. I think very highly of the clinic program, they are in the business of having 1Ls work for them so it's run very well.

You should meet the application deadline for sure. When offers go out the turnaround time is short and they don't do extensions, so know that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Previous people that got a job at Microsoft were not from Washington. However, if you are looking at them vs. Latham, consider what you'd enjoy more, assuming you have an equal chance at both. Surely working at Latham is a different experience; probably worth talking to people who worked at either of those places.

I think microsoft will be slightly easier to get. Especially since latham would consider you for a 2L return offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Was fortunate enough to have an interview during Winter Break. Is there any usual time span to hear back? I figure if I don't hear anything by the end of February it is a silent ding? Also was asked to send grades as soon I received them. Just looking for a heads up on any kinds of typical time frame to hear back, if typical even exists. How about the firms/corporations during Winter 1L OCI, do they usual send out responses within a usual time frame? Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was fortunate enough to have an interview during Winter Break. Is there any usual time span to hear back? I figure if I don't hear anything by the end of February it is a silent ding? Also was asked to send grades as soon I received them. Just looking for a heads up on any kinds of typical time frame to hear back, if typical even exists. How about the firms/corporations during Winter 1L OCI, do they usual send out responses within a usual time frame? Thanks!!
I recently heard from one of the big-law firms that I interviewed with in December that they are looking to release decisions in early February, and that they are pretty much just waiting on grades from everyone so that they could make the final call (I think they just want to make sure that nobody failed their first semester before giving them an offer).

I hope the University releases grades on Tuesday... I am going to rage-quit if they push them back again. :cry:

Also, I am just starting to get emails from firms that I applied to on 12/1 but had never heard anything from (and which I had assumed were silent dings), so I think that firms are just taking their time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was fortunate enough to have an interview during Winter Break. Is there any usual time span to hear back? I figure if I don't hear anything by the end of February it is a silent ding? Also was asked to send grades as soon I received them. Just looking for a heads up on any kinds of typical time frame to hear back, if typical even exists. How about the firms/corporations during Winter 1L OCI, do they usual send out responses within a usual time frame? Thanks!!
I recently heard from one of the big-law firms that I interviewed with in December that they are looking to release decisions in early February, and that they are pretty much just waiting on grades from everyone so that they could make the final call (I think they just want to make sure that nobody failed their first semester before giving them an offer).

I hope the University releases grades on Tuesday... I am going to rage-quit if they push them back again. :cry:

Also, I am just starting to get emails from firms that I applied to on 12/1 but had never heard anything from (and which I had assumed were silent dings), so I think that firms are just taking their time.

What market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:What market?
It would likely give away who I am if I say that much. However, I will say that I haven't heard anything back from any of the firms that I applied to in Chicago (although I only applied to a couple of them here).

I wonder if the local market works on a different (slower) schedule than other major markets like California / New York / etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Firms are idiosyncratic, so (and I know it's hard) you have to try to keep your mind off of it. This gets much harder at OCI, so I guess 1L jobs are good practice.

Firm screener->CB and CB-> offer time varies dramatically, and it really depends on the firm.

FWIW, some gave out offers in March. So I'd say April is when you know you're out for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:03 am

I think it varies a lot. I know quite a few people who had interviews in December, and as far as I know, none have heard back yet. I heard back from one of the firms I interviewed with after six days, whereas another firm I interviewed with also interviewed at least one other student at Chicago, and as far as I know, he hadn't heard back as of Friday. I think it's safe to just sit tight and (try) not to sweat it too much. They're all probably waiting on grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 am

If you haven't heard back by mid-late February, I'd mentally move on. Not that there isn't a chance after that, it is just a very slight one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you haven't heard back by mid-late February, I'd mentally move on. Not that there isn't a chance after that, it is just a very slight one.

This is the attitude I would have about 1L SA hiring in general. You can get excited for 1-2 weeks after a callback and maybe for a week after you submit grades to a place you thought the interview went well, but understand it's still unlikely and plan accordingly. Based on the numbers, these positions are almost pure luck (mine certainly was). The aspects you can't control (Home market that hires 1Ls, Diversity, your Elements grade*) are much more helpful than the things you can control (Interviewing, your other grade), so just view your firm interviews and 1L OCI as networking/practice. If you get lucky, fantastic, but don't take your luck for granted.

Keep in mind that there are basically two reasons that firms hire 1Ls: Marketing and the chance to snag a UChi student who will likely have "better" offers as a 2L. Diversity spots tend to be the former, and secondary markets tend to be the latter. Texas is probably a mix of the two.** Again, you're not in control of the characteristics that meet either of these needs, so don't take any of the inevitable rejections personally. Even if you do meet these needs, you'll need some solid luck to get an SA spot, so start making plans B through Z.

*Not important. Not even a little bit.
**Nobody understands Texas. Not even a little bit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Thank you all for doing this! I was wondering if there is strategic value to the location of a 1L summer in terms of demonstrating "ties" that seem to be important at OCI. For example, if I have no ties to Chicago other than going to this school, and am thinking of bidding for some Chicago firms, would spending the summer elsewhere be a bad idea? Or does it only matter if the ties are more legitimate (for example, it's unclear whether working at a UChi clinic shows commitment to the city of Chicago as such). I am hoping this emphasis on ties is exaggerated, but on the other hand a lot of bios of attorneys at Chicago firms seem to suggest they went to undergrad in the Midwest, so there is a strong correlation for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you all for doing this! I was wondering if there is strategic value to the location of a 1L summer in terms of demonstrating "ties" that seem to be important at OCI. For example, if I have no ties to Chicago other than going to this school, and am thinking of bidding for some Chicago firms, would spending the summer elsewhere be a bad idea? Or does it only matter if the ties are more legitimate (for example, it's unclear whether working at a UChi clinic shows commitment to the city of Chicago as such). I am hoping this emphasis on ties is exaggerated, but on the other hand a lot of bios of attorneys at Chicago firms seem to suggest they went to undergrad in the Midwest, so there is a strong correlation for sure.

Doesn't hurt, but there were plenty of people in our class who went elsewhere 1L summer and got 2L jobs in Chicago. Somewhere in this thread I had a post about ties, but basically stronger is always better but nothing is necessary or sufficient. You can make up for a perceived deficiency in ties with interviewing, grades, work experience, looks, or whatever. If you have a 1L opportunity that is more interesting to you elsewhere and you can make the finances work, I would probably take it and not worry too much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you all for doing this! I was wondering if there is strategic value to the location of a 1L summer in terms of demonstrating "ties" that seem to be important at OCI. For example, if I have no ties to Chicago other than going to this school, and am thinking of bidding for some Chicago firms, would spending the summer elsewhere be a bad idea? Or does it only matter if the ties are more legitimate (for example, it's unclear whether working at a UChi clinic shows commitment to the city of Chicago as such). I am hoping this emphasis on ties is exaggerated, but on the other hand a lot of bios of attorneys at Chicago firms seem to suggest they went to undergrad in the Midwest, so there is a strong correlation for sure.

It helps, but is not essential. I think the value of 1L summer location is that it establishes ties/credibility in an area that you may not have had. For example, I received a lot of skepticism from DC firms because I had never lived there before. Friends that had not been in DC until 1L summer did not run into that sort of problem. Overall, I would not worry about it too much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It helps, but is not essential. I think the value of 1L summer location is that it establishes ties/credibility in an area that you may not have had. For example, I received a lot of skepticism from DC firms because I had never lived there before. Friends that had not been in DC until 1L summer did not run into that sort of problem. Overall, I would not worry about it too much.

This. Very good answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:02 pm

Does anyone have advice on getting a job after striking out? I feel like that's something this thread needs more than anything. Any alums with this experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:56 pm

What is the verdict for median on both exams in trying to get gainful employment this summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the verdict for median on both exams in trying to get gainful employment this summer?

Doubt it will matter outside of law firms. And even then, might not matter if it's a diversity position.

Return to “Legal Employment”