UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago OCI Alums Answering Questions About the Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi 1Ls. Stopping in to drop some additional advice.

1L Summer Jobs:

What I'd shoot for (in order):

Law firm: most money. Not too much work required. I've heard good for OCI because it's hard to get and it shows that you are desired. Have heard its bad because you don't bring in any real experience.

Corporate gig: get paid 10-20k and develop relationships with people in a corporation.

Clinic: get the 5k bonus, clinic students get to do awesome things and get tons of usable experience for OCI

PI gig: 5K and it doesn't require too much work. Need to spin it at OCI if you have a PI background

RA job: barely work and you get the line on your resume. Make money per hour, though so you won't make as much as clinics/PI

Judge job: either you're a glorified coffee-getter (and employers know you are working for a judge that doesn't give real work to externs) or you're working a LOT for no pay. Even if you get a super-awesome judge those are the ones least likely to remember you.

Just my two cents. Other 2Ls can share their experience, too.

Not to get super far ahead of myself before we even have one quarter's worth of grades out, but do these ranks change if you're gunning hard for clerkship/bristow/doj honors post-grad? My anecdotal knowledge of people I know who've gotten clerkships, especially feeder clerkships, are that a disproportionately high percentage of them RAed.

Also, would you lump gov gigs like USAO/fed honors in with PI?

Last question and then I'll stop being such an insufferable gunner: what about stuff like UN through the IHR program? Went to the IHR presentation last week and it seemed like they all got at least something at OCI, but no one said which firm they were going to (or what their grades were like, obviously). My instinct was that anything overseas would be a red flag for OCI so I was surprised to hear their claim that it may actually have helped differentiate their applications.

I'd put them above PI. Everything depends on your priorities--I wanted a firm and anything legal works for OCI if you can spin it the right way--so my "rankings" were skewed.

Feeder clerkships come from grades. Basically when you get the grades, you approach Hutch and he will use his connections to get you the interview. Those that were RAs generally become RAs because they find the academic side of the law interesting, and those are the type of people that typically gun for bigtime clerkships. Once you get grades, if you are above a 180.5 (K&E scholar territory) you can email someone that's going to be working for a feeder judge and ask questions. Otherwise, don't waste their time (same goes for Hutch but he'll tell you that himself--he's quite frank).

If anyone else wants to weigh in, that'd be great. I'm not all-knowing when it comes to this stuff.

(People that did the IHR program seemed to do pretty well at OCI. I'd contact them via email and ask questions.)

Quoted anon - thanks! Appreciate the response. I've got to get over my trepidation about cold-emailing 2Ls/3Ls about their job experiences... do you guys often get emails from 1Ls about this stuff (eg, people who found you off the Who Worked Where list)? Is it annoying when you do?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Quoted anon - thanks! Appreciate the response. I've got to get over my trepidation about cold-emailing 2Ls/3Ls about their job experiences... do you guys often get emails from 1Ls about this stuff (eg, people who found you off the Who Worked Where list)? Is it annoying when you do?

I don't mind at all and I'm eager to help.

One thing that kind of makes me feel weird is when someone emails me and asks me to tell them about my experience (without asking any real questions). Let us know what you're interested in, ask pointed questions, ask us to lunch/coffee, etc. It's great practice for when you have to do this with attorneys.

Also, if we haven't really had an in-depth conversation with you don't ask to use our names in your application. Make sure you've made the connection before you try to exploit it.

Something I learned when I was a 1L is that attorneys are eager to help people out and share their experiences. I couldn't figure out why until I was a 2L and had 1L's asking me questions--all of the things I spent time learning before OCI and during the job hunt are now worthless for me. But this info can still be put to use if I share it with 1Ls. It's a rewarding experience for both parties-- and we want to network with you, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:45 am

Being an RA may help with clerking in that it might result in one strong rec letter. But aside from that it matters not at all what you do for your 1L summer so long as you can show some interest and enthusiasm in it. There are people with desirable clerkships who did any manner of job during 1L summer. Also don't worry about feeder judges yet. It's a bit early lol. If your grades come out well then be happy and relax for a day or two, but then try to get back to work (and don't waste time when you are working because doing so will prevent you from having as much socializing/exercising/sanity/being a real person as you might squeeze in otherwise) because starting a week or two you will realize that you are well and thoroughly screwed until June. If your grades come out poor then mourn for a day or two if you need to but then get back to work for the same reason (plus try to learn how to take a law school exam and change your study habits. You probably didn't know the law as well as everyone else in that room. [People say that everybody goes in knowing the law but some people are just bad at tests. Hint: that's bullshit lol.] Supplements are your friend.) Anyway good luck and try not to die with anticipation on the day the calendar says grades are due. They will almost certainly be a few days late.

Also, enjoy 1L. Even the darkest days really aren't so bad, and hopefully there is enough camaraderie with your classmates to make the experience worth it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:48 am

To give another POV, I agree with the general ranking of 1L jobs, but for people gunning for clerkships I think RAing definitely deserves a boost. The faculty relationships are legitimately useful, and while you can form them without RAing, it makes it that much easier when you see them frequently.

I'm on the fence about clerking, but I can tell you with 99% certainty that the professor I RA'd for would insist on going to bat for me if I even mentioned it. That has to be worth something, especially in relation to various PI/Clinic jobs though you are paid marginally less.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:31 am

1L Summer Jobs:

Law firm: most money. Not too much work required. I've heard good for OCI because it's hard to get and it shows that you are desired. Have heard its bad because you don't bring in any real experience.

Corporate gig: get paid 10-20k and develop relationships with people in a corporation.

Clinic: get the 5k bonus, clinic students get to do awesome things and get tons of usable experience for OCI

PI gig: 5K and it doesn't require too much work. Need to spin it at OCI if you have a PI background

RA job: barely work and you get the line on your resume. Make money per hour, though so you won't make as much as clinics/PI

Judge job: either you're a glorified coffee-getter (and employers know you are working for a judge that doesn't give real work to externs) or you're working a LOT for no pay. Even if you get a super-awesome judge those are the ones least likely to remember you.

I tend to agree with most of this except for the hate on the judicial internship positions. I worked for a Federal Appellate Judge, and while not getting the $5K is a huge bummer (and seriously, it makes no sense that this job does not qualify for the stipend), I thought there were some AMAZING benefits:

1. My Judge served as an incredible reference for both OCI and clerkships. I cannot overestimate the amount of weight an appellate judge has. In my clerkship applications, I wrote that my judge was happy to speak regarding my performance. Three judges called her; all three gave me an interview. Two of those judges usually required K&E type grades (of which I did not have). She also called a judge on my behalf - the next day I received an interview request.

2. OCI material. Especially at "brainy firms" (W&C, Munger, etc), 90% of the interview was talking about the cases I worked on. The same happened at my callback interviews. Your cases are not only interesting, but also help demonstrate that you can do quality legal analysis.

3. I came out of it with a great writing sample. My judge treated interns like clerks - we did the same work. At the end of the summer, I had 4 memo's to pick and choose from. Again, a bigger bonus for clerking.

4. Writing ability improved tremendously. My judge thought it was her responsibility to mentor the externs, and it showed. Receiving feedback from an appellate judge really has no substitute.

5. Networking opportunities - I became great friends with the other externs and clerks. These were some of the brightest people I have ever met and will have incredible careers. I've tapped into these connections on multiple occasions.

Granted, much of this is going to be judge dependent. I also do not know if the same benefits apply working for judges below the appellate level (I'd like to think so). And not receiving the stipend is a killer. But for someone dead set on clerking, I think it is worth it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Appreciate the response. I've got to get over my trepidation about cold-emailing 2Ls/3Ls about their job experiences... do you guys often get emails from 1Ls about this stuff (eg, people who found you off the Who Worked Where list)? Is it annoying when you do?

The 2Ls/3Ls are always willing to answer questions about anything. I think everyone is on board with the the pay-it-forward idea; each of us has received invaluable advice from the upperclassmen, and it makes us happy to be able to do the same for y'all. And you really should be doing that - everything I learned about studying, taking exams, firms, OCI, clerkships was from 2Ls and 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 am

So quick question... If, after a callback interview, the firm asks you to submit grades, does that usually mean that the interview didn't go so well, or does that really mean that they just want to wait for grades to come out before making a decision?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:

1L Summer Jobs:

I tend to agree with most of this except for the hate on the judicial internship positions. I worked for a Federal Appellate Judge, and while not getting the $5K is a huge bummer (and seriously, it makes no sense that this job does not qualify for the stipend), I thought there were some AMAZING benefits:

1. My Judge served as an incredible reference for both OCI and clerkships. I cannot overestimate the amount of weight an appellate judge has. In my clerkship applications, I wrote that my judge was happy to speak regarding my performance. Three judges called her; all three gave me an interview. Two of those judges usually required K&E type grades (of which I did not have). She also called a judge on my behalf - the next day I received an interview request.

2. OCI material. Especially at "brainy firms" (W&C, Munger, etc), 90% of the interview was talking about the cases I worked on. The same happened at my callback interviews. Your cases are not only interesting, but also help demonstrate that you can do quality legal analysis.

3. I came out of it with a great writing sample. My judge treated interns like clerks - we did the same work. At the end of the summer, I had 4 memo's to pick and choose from. Again, a bigger bonus for clerking.

4. Writing ability improved tremendously. My judge thought it was her responsibility to mentor the externs, and it showed. Receiving feedback from an appellate judge really has no substitute.

5. Networking opportunities - I became great friends with the other externs and clerks. These were some of the brightest people I have ever met and will have incredible careers. I've tapped into these connections on multiple occasions.

Granted, much of this is going to be judge dependent. I also do not know if the same benefits apply working for judges below the appellate level (I'd like to think so). And not receiving the stipend is a killer. But for someone dead set on clerking, I think it is worth it.

Quoted anon. Sounds like you had an incredible experience. The two situations I talked about were stories from friends, and one of them had a judge that refused to do recommendations. I'd tweak my advice to say it's highly dependent on the judge, so do your research first?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So quick question... If, after a callback interview, the firm asks you to submit grades, does that usually mean that the interview didn't go so well, or does that really mean that they just want to wait for grades to come out before making a decision?

The latter. It's doubtful they would still be interested in grades if you had no chance, but it doesn't mean you're a lock if grades are awesome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:54 pm

Does anyone have insight pertaining to the Winter 1L OCI event. How many firms usually show, where are the firms usually from, how many people obtain employment from it, what sorts of students usually achieve a SA, etc?? Thanks again, ya'll have been great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight pertaining to the Winter 1L OCI event. How many firms usually show, where are the firms usually from, how many people obtain employment from it, what sorts of students usually achieve a SA, etc?? Thanks again, ya'll have been great.

From what I remember, there were a couple Chicago and a couple Cali firms, with other locations sprinkled in. I heard (and I haven't confirmed) that each firm promises to hire at least one student for the summer.

Basically, you bid multiple firms, but you really only have a shot at getting your top firm, so make your choice count (fill out the bids in case your top choice is full). The rub is, the kind of student that usually gets a SA is someone who has good grades (great grades aren't necessary) and interviews very well (at least for Chicago firms). These are the people who are likely to have multiple offers from OCI as a 2L.

It may be easier to get firms that are in other markets, but there's generally a solid amount of competition for any market (classes are typically pretty diverse).

I'd definitely recommend doing it, it's good experience and the time investment is worth the potential pay-off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight pertaining to the Winter 1L OCI event. How many firms usually show, where are the firms usually from, how many people obtain employment from it, what sorts of students usually achieve a SA, etc?? Thanks again, ya'll have been great.

From what I remember, there were a couple Chicago and a couple Cali firms, with other locations sprinkled in. I heard (and I haven't confirmed) that each firm promises to hire at least one student for the summer.

Basically, you bid multiple firms, but you really only have a shot at getting your top firm, so make your choice count (fill out the bids in case your top choice is full). The rub is, the kind of student that usually gets a SA is someone who has good grades (great grades aren't necessary) and interviews very well (at least for Chicago firms). These are the people who are likely to have multiple offers from OCI as a 2L.

It may be easier to get firms that are in other markets, but there's generally a solid amount of competition for any market (classes are typically pretty diverse).

I'd definitely recommend doing it, it's good experience and the time investment is worth the potential pay-off.

I'll second all of this. I would also say that grades aren't that important -- after all, they'll only have two grades to look at. I got a 1L OCI callback with one grade way above median and one below median. Interviewing skills and ties seemed much more important.

Everyone should do it -- it's a great experience that will help prepare you a bit for 2L OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

IIRC, every firm that interviewed at last year's 1L OCI gave callbacks, but not all gave offers, though most did.

You get a good mix of big firms and smaller, very legit lit boutiques. It does seem like a good number of the jobs went to people w/ IP backgrounds or solid ties to secondary markets, but it's still an excellent (and maybe the best shot) for the run of the mill 1L to nab a firm job.

Just to +1 everyone else, it's an excellent opportunity that you can learn a lot from even if you don't get an SA. Having experience doing a couple screeners and a callback if you get one is really valuable come real OCI. It's great getting exposure with a lot less pressure to something like the CB interviewer who decides the entire 20-30 minutes will just be spent asking her questions, when you had only thought of 1-2 beforehand.

On the subject of 1L jobs, it really doesn't matter as long as you do something legal, so get paid or do something cool. You have a pretty unique opportunity to work for 10 weeks for an organization or industry that you will probably never work for again, so make the most of it. So, if you want to do IHR, go ahead, it's not going to hurt you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: Winter OCI - I know of the whole spectrum of CBs for one of the firms that came last year and no one got an offer so the "guarantee to hire" thing is not strictly true, though it was a rumor for our year too. I think firms basically have to certify that for the right candidate a position exists, i.e. their summer class can fit one more and they aren't showing up just to put themselves on our 2L radar.

You will probably get your 1 bid and you can almost certainly pick up a 2nd and maybe a 3rd by open sign up. I ended up doing 2. They are really good practice and everyone who doesn't have a job yet should do one. If you do have a job, do your classmates a favor and opt out though, there are other ways to get the same practice for fall OCI.

Anyone with even the slightest tie to Texas should bid AZA btw, they hire several 1Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 am

About when will we probably find out what firms are coming to 1L OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:15 am

In regards to the big law firms in major markets that we applied to a while ago (December 1st), if we haven't heard anything back from them by this point, should we take that as a silent ding?

Also, in general, what is the timeline for firms in major markets to get back to applicants? Do they usually wait until February when most of the applicants have submitted grades to say anything, or do they tend to move on a "rolling" basis?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:About when will we probably find out what firms are coming to 1L OCI?

Last year they had a lunch talk where they explained logistics and the firms coming to 1L OCI. Be on the lookout for that in the next 2 weeks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:In regards to the big law firms in major markets that we applied to a while ago (December 1st), if we haven't heard anything back from them by this point, should we take that as a silent ding?

Also, in general, what is the timeline for firms in major markets to get back to applicants? Do they usually wait until February when most of the applicants have submitted grades to say anything, or do they tend to move on a "rolling" basis?

If you've only applied, it's probably too late. You can always call and express interest (though in my experience this usually ends up in a "shit we forgot about that guy" ding, it can sometimes get a CB).

A few TX firms gave offers without grades, otherwise most firms in other major markets waited for grades and did so on a rolling basis.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:35 pm

We started bidding last year on 1/15 I think, so you should get the list this week. The list below is of entities that I can remember coming to winter OCI last year, it shouldn't be considered exhaustive.

Eihmer Stahl Chi
Grippo and Elden Chi
Latham Chi
Microsoft Seattle
DLA Piper California
AZA Houston
Lewis Rice STL
Some JAG office
Stearns Weaver Miami

I'm probably missing 3 or 4, but like you can see, it's not robust. Most of those hired someone though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We started bidding last year on 1/15 I think, so you should get the list this week. The list below is of entities that I can remember coming to winter OCI last year, it shouldn't be considered exhaustive.

Eihmer Stahl Chi
Grippo and Elden Chi
Latham Chi
Microsoft Seattle
DLA Piper California
AZA Houston
Lewis Rice STL
Some JAG office
Stearns Weaver Miami

I'm probably missing 3 or 4, but like you can see, it's not robust. Most of those hired someone though.

So, for example, Latham had a non-diversity 1L SA posted on Symplicity this year. If we applied to that and never heard anything back, would it be stupid to bid on Latham at winter OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:We started bidding last year on 1/15 I think, so you should get the list this week. The list below is of entities that I can remember coming to winter OCI last year, it shouldn't be considered exhaustive.

Eihmer Stahl Chi
Grippo and Elden Chi
Latham Chi
Microsoft Seattle
DLA Piper California
AZA Houston
Lewis Rice STL
Some JAG office
Stearns Weaver Miami

So, for example, Latham had a non-diversity 1L SA posted on Symplicity this year. If we applied to that and never heard anything back, would it be stupid to bid on Latham at winter OCI?

No, Symplicity is weird in that a lot of the jobs are blanket postings to multiple schools that filter to a likely overwhelmed recruiter. It might be a bad sign, but it probably just means recruiting overlooked your app in a sea of like 500.

Also a large part of the value of winter OCI is getting screener practice and getting on the radar of a firm early even if it doesn't work out for 1L. For someone who wants to work in Chicago, having a few names you know at Latham is likely way more useful than Grippo or Eihmer. From the Who worked where, Grippo hired someone last year whereas Latham didn't (I do know that Latham gave a few 1L CBs though) so I can see using that to sway your choice, but in your shoes I'd probably bid Latham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Eihmer Stahl Chi
Grippo and Elden Chi
Latham Chi
Microsoft Seattle
DLA Piper California
AZA Houston
Lewis Rice STL
Some JAG office
Stearns Weaver Miami

No, Symplicity is weird in that a lot of the jobs are blanket postings to multiple schools that filter to a likely overwhelmed recruiter. It might be a bad sign, but it probably just means recruiting overlooked your app in a sea of like 500.

Also a large part of the value of winter OCI is getting screener practice and getting on the radar of a firm early even if it doesn't work out for 1L. For someone who wants to work in Chicago, having a few names you know at Latham is likely way more useful than Grippo or Eihmer. From the Who worked where, Grippo hired someone last year whereas Latham didn't (I do know that Latham gave a few 1L CBs though) so I can see using that to sway your choice, but in your shoes I'd probably bid Latham.

They might have ignored your application because they knew they would come to UChi for OCI and screeners are cheaper than CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Can anybody with experience shed some light on specific clinics for the summer? What kind of work did you do, how worthwhile did you find it, was it very competitive to get in, etc.?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anybody with experience shed some light on specific clinics for the summer? What kind of work did you do, how worthwhile did you find it, was it very competitive to get in, etc.?

Hard to do without people outing themselves--often not many people per clinic. Some are harder to get than others (there were about 15-20 apps for corporate lab, for example) but I'd recommend emailing people that were in the clinics for more pointed advice.

Overall, the general consensus was that clinics were fun and gave a lot of good experience to talk about at OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anybody with experience shed some light on specific clinics for the summer? What kind of work did you do, how worthwhile did you find it, was it very competitive to get in, etc.?

Hard to do without people outing themselves--often not many people per clinic. Some are harder to get than others (there were about 15-20 apps for corporate lab, for example) but I'd recommend emailing people that were in the clinics for more pointed advice.

Overall, the general consensus was that clinics were fun and gave a lot of good experience to talk about at OCI.

Meh, mine was a complete waste of time. Thankfully interviews were short enough that I could cycle through my only 2-3 stories and make it sound like it was actually meaningful.

Second the suggestion of emailing people off-board. Lot more willing to be frank and name names at coffee mess than here.

Return to “Legal Employment”