Will Latin Honors make up for lack of secondary journal? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Will Latin Honors make up for lack of secondary journal?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 29

Anonymous User

Will Latin Honors make up for lack of secondary journal?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:33 pm

HYS. Blew off the writing competition. But I have a SA at a NYC V20. No interest in clerking and really want to do corporate; however, I noticed that the vast majority of the partners at my firm were on L.Rev. or some secondary journal. If I get cum laude will this "make up" for my lack of journal, in terms of how it looks on the website with respect to client pitches, etc.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: Will Latin Honors make up for lack of secondary journal?

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:37 pm

I'm under the impression that once you get into the "ultra elite" schools they do not really care about journal. I mean you have a SA offer, so it did not really affect you at all....

I think going to HYS will make you a strong pitch..., but getting good grades can always open doors.

anonymous2012

New

Post by anonymous2012 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:22 am

No IMO. Cum laude is not that impressive, but neither is a secondary journal membership. But what you're seeing is some extreme self selection. People who make it to partner in biglaw are ultra intense. As a general rule, they are very unlikely to blow off write on...

On the other hand, a client won't care. If you want to do something worthwhile, publish in a journal or magazine in your topic area.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:07 am

All the partners have journal because almost everyone does journal. There is zero chance it makes any difference during private practice. Nobody cares. I bet nobody even notices you weren't on it.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:39 am

anonymous2012 wrote:No IMO. Cum laude is not that impressive, but neither is a secondary journal membership. But what you're seeing is some extreme self selection. People who make it to partner in biglaw are ultra intense. As a general rule, they are very unlikely to blow off write on...

On the other hand, a client won't care. If you want to do something worthwhile, publish in a journal or magazine in your topic area.

Cum laude is most certainly impressive at HYS. Being the top 15 percent of the 1% is a fantastic stat line. Walking onto any old journal means nothing compared to that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:46 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
anonymous2012 wrote:No IMO. Cum laude is not that impressive, but neither is a secondary journal membership. But what you're seeing is some extreme self selection. People who make it to partner in biglaw are ultra intense. As a general rule, they are very unlikely to blow off write on...

Cum laude is most certainly impressive at HYS. Being the top 15 percent of the 1% is a fantastic stat line. Walking onto any old journal means nothing compared to that.
+ 1

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:54 am

No one cares about secondary journals.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:00 am

guano wrote:No one cares about secondary journals.
Hey! I know a certain bullet point that would be very lonely without his friend Environmental Business Sports Journal.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 am

guano wrote:No one cares about secondary journals.
This about sums it up. Grades are even more important than LR (I would trade my LR membership for 10% in a second). And no one cares about secondary journals (although can be useful for networking).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 am

You have an SA position already, you really shouldn't be focusing on amassing additional credentials unless you aim to clerk, which you don't.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:40 pm

zweitbester wrote:You have an SA position already, you really shouldn't be focusing on amassing additional credentials unless you aim to clerk, which you don't.
Caveat would be if there is some activity that seems to be big around the office. If everyone at the office was really into mooting and you don't even participate in one, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:54 pm

zweitbester wrote:You have an SA position already, you really shouldn't be focusing on amassing additional credentials unless you aim to clerk, which you don't.
Caveat would be if there is some activity that seems to be big around the office. If everyone at the office was really into mooting and you don't even participate in one, you aren't doing yourself any favors.
I assumed I was speaking in the context of his post. OP wants to do corporate. Pretty sure there's nothing to be accomplished by doing a journal or clerkship if you want to practice in that area.

Outside of that context, I can't speak too much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:21 pm

zweitbester wrote:
I assumed I was speaking in the context of his post. OP wants to do corporate. Pretty sure there's nothing to be accomplished by doing a journal or clerkship if you want to practice in that area.

Outside of that context, I can't speak too much.
Junior V20 corporate associate. I agree with bolded 110 percent. I have talked to corporate partners about clerking and was told it could actually hurt you. Clerking doesn't give you useful corporate experience and wastes a year you could be learning corporate work. Law school doesn't prepare you for corporate work at all. You'll join your firm as a second year but not know a thing about corporate. Being on a journal at least won't hurt you but I don't think it will help much except for teaching you the importance of proofreading.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 pm

I was speaking in context as well. The office I am working for has an insanely high ratio of graduates from my school that did Law Review and held an Executive Board position. They really hold it in high regard. So, while I did not really intend to, I will be taking an Executive Board position because it is part of the culture at the firm.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:39 pm

Since when was cum laude at HYS = to top 15%? http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... index.html

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 pm

Doritos wrote:

Since when was cum laude at HYS = to top 15%? http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... index.html
Didn't look it up. Assumed it couldn't be THAT low. So 40.3% or so is Cum Laude? I am not sure I am reading that correctly.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:09 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:I was speaking in context as well. The office I am working for has an insanely high ratio of graduates from my school that did Law Review and held an Executive Board position. They really hold it in high regard. So, while I did not really intend to, I will be taking an Executive Board position because it is part of the culture at the firm.
If you're doing corporate, it doesn't mean shit. But congratulations on all your accomplishments.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:28 am

Like I said, cum laude doesn't mean much of anything, except that you weren't at the bottom of the class. It's a different cutoff at different schools.

Publish a short article in an area your interested in. Much more impressive than cum laude or secondary journal.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Like I said, cum laude doesn't mean much of anything, except that you weren't at the bottom of the class. It's a different cutoff at different schools.

Publish a short article in an area your interested in. Much more impressive than cum laude or secondary journal.
What is this flame?!?!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Doritos wrote:

Didn't look it up. Assumed it couldn't be THAT low. So 40.3% or so is Cum Laude? I am not sure I am reading that correctly.
Yeah looks like it

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:56 pm

Like the others, I don't think cum laude is all that impressive (other than that it would be worse if you were below median), but a secondary journal isn't all that impressive either. Personally, I don't even think law review is that important except insofar as it serves as a proxy for how well you did/are doing in law school -- something more important as a rising 2L at OCI, where you don't have a lot of grades yet, than later on when your law school career is over.

Journals/law review are nice decoration on your resume, but -- basically, IMO, other than high grades, and in some circumstances publications (thinking about academia, not law firms), no one factor is ever going to be a deal breaker. You just need to have enough boxes checked that people believe you're in the club of high performers. So, go to a good school and get great grades or go to a great school and get good grades, and then after that do some sort of substantive extra curricular to show that you are intellectually curious, and ideally also have some interesting non-law related extra curricular to show that you're an interesting person. Pass that threshold, and it's about how well you do your job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:04 pm

At every school I've heard of nearly everyone is on journal. Not everyone gets cum laude. That should make it simple.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Is cum laude at a school like NYU (top 25%) any more impressive, or does no one really know the difference between schools (i.e., top 40% at HLS vs. 25% at NYU) and thus not care?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is cum laude at a school like NYU (top 25%) any more impressive, or does no one really know the difference between schools (i.e., top 40% at HLS vs. 25% at NYU) and thus not care?
Latter.

If I see latin honors, first thought in my mind is "did good." Last thought on the matter is "did good." Nothing more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:44 pm

lol. Dead even poll. Perhaps cum laude + no secondary "makes up" for lack of journal more in corporate, than in litigation because bluebooking, etc. is less relevant to M&A.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”