3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:00 pm

I went through the OCI process, received many callbacks and only one offer in the last second. The firm is NLJ 250 and in Chicago, so it's a great opportunity nonetheless. However, I'd like to work in my LA or NYC(I have connections to both). I go to a t-14, finished at median, and am doing the journal/extracurricular stuff. What can I do from now until graduation to help me land something in an LA or NYC firm? What are the probability of this happening?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:12 pm

Get your grades up and earn an offer from your firm. Pack your resume with new activities: get seriously involved in substantive pro bono, try to get a part-time job working for a professor or something similar. Work on your interviewing skills, because even a stellar 3L candidate typically receives significantly fewer interviews as a mediocre 2L candidate. For instance, I had 25+ interviews at 2L OCI and 3 as a 3L. You will not want to mess up any interviews you do manage to get.

Even if you do all of the above, it's statistically unlikely that you'll be able to switch firms as a 3L. I understand that isn't what you want to hear. You should try to apply for clerkships as well.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: 3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby NYstate » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Get your grades up and earn an offer from your firm. Pack your resume with new activities: get seriously involved in substantive pro bono, try to get a part-time job working for a professor or something similar. Work on your interviewing skills, because even a stellar 3L candidate typically receives significantly fewer interviews as a mediocre 2L candidate. For instance, I had 25+ interviews at 2L OCI and 3 as a 3L. You will not want to mess up any interviews you do manage to get.

Even if you do all of the above, it's statistically unlikely that you'll be able to switch firms as a 3L. I understand that isn't what you want to hear. You should try to apply for clerkships as well.


3L hiring is almost non-existent, I mean there were like 34 3Ls hired a year ago that were reported by NALP. You have to get an ]offer from your summer firm. You have to improve your interviewing skills in a major way. I would also try to stay in touch with the firms that gave you callbacks, even if you didn't get an offer. You never know when someone might need to hire a 3L unexpectedly.

I am not sure at all how much pro bono stuff will help you, unless it is something impressive and you want litigation. Pro bono experience Maybe working for a professor would help - but try to make it something practical with someone who has connections. I just feel that law firm experience is what matters the most.

A clerkship might be the way to go but I don't know if you can get one with median grades. Maybe if a prof will pull for you. Check with your school's clerkship coordinator for advice.

Pretty much you are in a tough spot. I would focus hard on getting an offer and creating great relationships for partners who will give you recommendations for other firms if you decide to leave. I would plan on living in Chicago for a few years and then maybe try to lateral if possible.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby 2014 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:43 pm

Yeah you should be attempting to network in either location, there is still time. Shamelessly use the alumni network, you have nothing to lose.

Does your firm have a LA or NYC office? That could be an option. Otherwise, you might end up having to put in a few years at your Chicago firm and then trying like hell to lateral. The key is to have the offer to work at the Chicago firm in the first place though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:32 am

I am literally in the same boat. Trying to move into the top 5%. Got pro bono, research assistant, judicial externship, SA position (obviously).

I am curious though. What if you are interviewing before offers are made?

I made friends with a previous SA and they had gone through OCI before the firm made their offers.

That is good right? Because you can tell the interviewers that the firm has not made their decision rather than "I got no offered."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am literally in the same boat. Trying to move into the top 5%. Got pro bono, research assistant, judicial externship, SA position (obviously).

I am curious though. What if you are interviewing before offers are made?

I made friends with a previous SA and they had gone through OCI before the firm made their offers.

That is good right? Because you can tell the interviewers that the firm has not made their decision rather than "I got no offered."


No. I switched firms as a 3L and, on the advice of my OCS, chose not to send out any resumes or job applications before I got an offer. The legal community is a small world and I did not want to take the risk that my summer firm would somehow find out that I was already looking elsewhere and not give me an offer. A pre-offer application also risks looking nervous to prospective employers, as if you expect that you are not going to get an offer. Frankly, it's a premature application: I have a hard time imagining that most firms wouldn't wait to find out whether you did get an offer, especially since 3L hiring is a much slower process.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: 3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby guano » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Get into the hiring partner's bed; have someone take sexually explicit pictures

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: 3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby NYstate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am literally in the same boat. Trying to move into the top 5%. Got pro bono, research assistant, judicial externship, SA position (obviously).

I am curious though. What if you are interviewing before offers are made?

I made friends with a previous SA and they had gone through OCI before the firm made their offers.

That is good right? Because you can tell the interviewers that the firm has not made their decision rather than "I got no offered."


No. I switched firms as a 3L and, on the advice of my OCS, chose not to send out any resumes or job applications before I got an offer. The legal community is a small world and I did not want to take the risk that my summer firm would somehow find out that I was already looking elsewhere and not give me an offer. A pre-offer application also risks looking nervous to prospective employers, as if you expect that you are not going to get an offer. Frankly, it's a premature application: I have a hard time imagining that most firms wouldn't wait to find out whether you did get an offer, especially since 3L hiring is a much slower process.


The problem with waiting is that all the spots may be taken before you find out. I don't think that firms won't give an offer just because you do a few interviews or go through OCI again. I guess it depends on the firm. Just be careful to not wait too long to find out about getting a permanent offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am literally in the same boat. Trying to move into the top 5%. Got pro bono, research assistant, judicial externship, SA position (obviously).

I am curious though. What if you are interviewing before offers are made?

I made friends with a previous SA and they had gone through OCI before the firm made their offers.

That is good right? Because you can tell the interviewers that the firm has not made their decision rather than "I got no offered."


No. I switched firms as a 3L and, on the advice of my OCS, chose not to send out any resumes or job applications before I got an offer. The legal community is a small world and I did not want to take the risk that my summer firm would somehow find out that I was already looking elsewhere and not give me an offer. A pre-offer application also risks looking nervous to prospective employers, as if you expect that you are not going to get an offer. Frankly, it's a premature application: I have a hard time imagining that most firms wouldn't wait to find out whether you did get an offer, especially since 3L hiring is a much slower process.


The problem with waiting is that all the spots may be taken before you find out. I don't think that firms won't give an offer just because you do a few interviews or go through OCI again. I guess it depends on the firm. Just be careful to not wait too long to find out about getting a permanent offer.


It's unlikely that all the spots will be taken given that most firms will probably wait to see whether all their summer associates accept offers before they look at hiring 3Ls.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: 3l Hiring. What can i do to improve my chances?

Postby NYstate » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am literally in the same boat. Trying to move into the top 5%. Got pro bono, research assistant, judicial externship, SA position (obviously).

I am curious though. What if you are interviewing before offers are made?

I made friends with a previous SA and they had gone through OCI before the firm made their offers.

That is good right? Because you can tell the interviewers that the firm has not made their decision rather than "I got no offered."


No. I switched firms as a 3L and, on the advice of my OCS, chose not to send out any resumes or job applications before I got an offer. The legal community is a small world and I did not want to take the risk that my summer firm would somehow find out that I was already looking elsewhere and not give me an offer. A pre-offer application also risks looking nervous to prospective employers, as if you expect that you are not going to get an offer. Frankly, it's a premature application: I have a hard time imagining that most firms wouldn't wait to find out whether you did get an offer, especially since 3L hiring is a much slower process.


The problem with waiting is that all the spots may be taken before you find out. I don't think that firms won't give an offer just because you do a few interviews or go through OCI again. I guess it depends on the firm. Just be careful to not wait too long to find out about getting a permanent offer.


It's unlikely that all the spots will be taken given that most firms will probably wait to see whether all their summer associates accept offers before they look at hiring 3Ls.


But 3L OCI happens before all firms have received acceptances from the summers. I think it is a mistake to not do 3L OCI, and I don't see a firm objecting to anyone participating. I haven't heard of anyone no offered for doing interviews while waiting on their summer firm to give offers. Maybe it has happened and no one has reported it here on TLS? Maybe you have seen this happen to your peers?

I know my firm doesn't care and generally gives offers at the end of the summer, so there really isn't a concern about angering the hiring committee if you interview.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.