1L Invited to Firm to "Meet Attorneys", what to expect?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Invited to Firm to "Meet Attorneys", what to expect?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:27 pm

I have a really naive question. A hiring partner from a mid sized law firm in a medium sized market contacted me and asked me to go and meet some of their attorneys over winter break. They specifically said, "While we do not currently intend to hire first year law students as part of 2014 Summer Program, we would be very interested in meeting with you if you plan to be in ***** during the holiday break or in the Spring."

I'm just wondering if you guys think this is purely just a friendly invitation to establish some contacts, or if there is some possibility that I could convince them that hiring me as a 1L summer associate is a good idea (I know this is a long shot, but bear with me). Either way, I'm just trying to figure out what to expect from this. Should I bring business cards and just try to make a good impression as if I would want to work there as a 2L SA?

Sorry, I'm a newb to networking.

brotherdarkness

Re: 1L Invited to Firm to "Meet Attorneys", what to expect?

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Did the message seem like a form response or actually tailored to you specifically? It might just be something that they throw out there to anyone and they don't necessarily expect you to take them up on it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:00 pm

OP here, it didn't seem too form-like. Pretty much "Dear anon, we got your name and information from [your school] and they said you might have ties to [this region]. Come meet our attorneys, etc."

I'd feel dumb if they didn't expect me to take them up on it, because I don't necessarily want to go, but it seems like something I should do, lol.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Go and network. Just have some drinks and try to develop some friendly relationships. Not much downside.

ZyzzBrah

Postby ZyzzBrah » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:06 pm

OP, I had a similar experience

1L, big(ish) firm in area selected some students to come to the firm for a reception type thing. They basically just showed us around, gave us free food and drinks, and some attorneys were there to chat.

BUT, one attorney I spoke with told me that the firm didn't intend to hire anyone, which wasn't the best news since I was selected by them for oci (guess he had enough to drink to tell me). It was kind of just a way to keep a relationship between the school and the firm (for what purpose i have no idea if its not to hire)

Go if you want, but despite what your school (and some of the tls posters above) may say its not going to be an amazing networking event, most attorneys won't remember you and most of the attorneys there were associates (i.e. cant get you a job)

guano

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm

as an addendum to the above, it's entirely possible to gain some inside information about the firm. From a similar event I learned the hard GPA cutoffs for 2 firms, and for another firm, how far they've dipped down in the past for an exceptional candidate (surprisingly low)

AnotherYearOlder

Postby AnotherYearOlder » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a really naive question. A hiring partner from a mid sized law firm in a medium sized market contacted me and asked me to go and meet some of their attorneys over winter break. They specifically said, "While we do not currently intend to hire first year law students as part of 2014 Summer Program, we would be very interested in meeting with you if you plan to be in ***** during the holiday break or in the Spring."

I'm just wondering if you guys think this is purely just a friendly invitation to establish some contacts, or if there is some possibility that I could convince them that hiring me as a 1L summer associate is a good idea (I know this is a long shot, but bear with me). Either way, I'm just trying to figure out what to expect from this. Should I bring business cards and just try to make a good impression as if I would want to work there as a 2L SA?

This is an invitation for a job interview in disguise. Treat it as such. Nobody sends letters like this unless they're going to consider hiring someone. It's like the car salesman's addage -- nobody walks on the lot unless they're interested in buying a car.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 pm

AnotherYearOlder wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a really naive question. A hiring partner from a mid sized law firm in a medium sized market contacted me and asked me to go and meet some of their attorneys over winter break. They specifically said, "While we do not currently intend to hire first year law students as part of 2014 Summer Program, we would be very interested in meeting with you if you plan to be in ***** during the holiday break or in the Spring."

This is an invitation for a job interview in disguise. Treat it as such. Nobody sends letters like this unless they're going to consider hiring someone. It's like the car salesman's addage -- nobody walks on the lot unless they're interested in buying a car.

I got a similar request. They said "we don't hire 1Ls but if you want, you can come in and ask about the firm, practice, etc."

Is this a potential offer interview? It seems less so than OP's, since they are asking me to ask quesitons about the firm rather than "meeting" them (seems like an informational interview).
Also Nalp shows they haven't hired 1Ls in the past 2 years

Also, how should I dress? Same as a regular interview?

AnotherYearOlder

Postby AnotherYearOlder » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AnotherYearOlder wrote:

I got a similar request. They said "we don't hire 1Ls but if you want, you can come in and ask about the firm, practice, etc."

Is this a potential offer interview? It seems less so than OP's, since they are asking me to ask quesitons about the firm rather than "meeting" them (seems like an informational interview).
Also Nalp shows they haven't hired 1Ls in the past 2 years

Also, how should I dress? Same as a regular interview?

The more you treat it like a regular interview, the better off you'll be. Learn who you'll be meeting. Research the firm. Wear a suit. Shave. Worst case, you'll be putting yourself on the list for a 2L slot.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:25 am

Expect to meet attorneys.

Return to “Legal Employment”