Asking for Recommendations When Casting a Wide Net Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sweetfrenchtoast

New

Asking for Recommendations When Casting a Wide Net

Post by sweetfrenchtoast » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi.

A little bit of a silly question concerning references.

A number of places I'm applying to work this summer require references. I have a few people in mind. The only problem is I've never asked my recommenders to be prepared to recommend me for so many different positions (nonprofit, government, firm, etc).

So how does one go about this? Most of these places aren't asking for letters...just for names, emails, and phone numbers. I feel like it may be asking too much of people.

Besides "get over it," any advice?? Is there anyway to make this easier on people?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Asking for Recommendations When Casting a Wide Net

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:18 pm

It doesn't matter. Your references will be asked basically the same questions by every employer and the same answers will suffice for all - employers aren't going to ask your references about your future goals/plans, just what your abilities are. They don't have to answer differently based on different employers, so which kinds of employers call isn't really an issue. (And 99% of summer employers are not going to call your references anyway.)

gdane

Diamond

Re: Asking for Recommendations When Casting a Wide Net

Post by gdane » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:48 pm

Yup. Mouse is 100% right. Most places won't bother to call anyone.

Even so, just tell your references "hey. I put you down as one of my references. If you get a phone call or two please don't forget to say nice things about me." No big deal.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”