10th Year Associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

10th Year Associate

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Met a guy recently who is an attorney at a NY Big Law firm. Told me he has been with the firm for 10 years. I just assumed he was a partner. Looked at his profile on the firms website and he is listed as an associate. I know people that stay longer than 8-years and don't make partner are promoted to Of Counsel or Counsel but I didn't know you could just continue at the associate level for that long. is this common? Kinda goes against the up & out reputation of Big Law.

blank403

New

Re: 10th Year Associate

Post by blank403 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Edited: Okay, maybe my original post was overly harsh.

Law firms are run by real people who make real life decisions, and things are not as black and white as you are assuming. There are a ton of different possible explanations for this, and none of them are inconsistent with up or out.

E.g., firms don't all have the same titles for their employees, some employees might have uncommon background circumstances which make associate a more appropriate title, not every single employee is made partner/of counsel or fired at year 8, etc.
Last edited by blank403 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Poster above is mad.

I knew a guy like that at the firm I summered at. I had the same curiosity. I got the impression that he really lacked the sort of business development skills you need for partner but was good at a specific skill and was therefore valuable to the firm. Maybe the reason not to make them Of Counsel is to avoid the conversation that basically says, we've decided you won't make partner. It could be that neither the firm nor the associate wants to rock the boat because everyone is happy with the status quo.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Not all firms have an 8 year partnership track.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:29 pm

After about 6-7 years at a firm, your future with the firm will be a question that gets discussed at least annually. Many firms are willing to keep people around even if they have no hope of partner, be it by promoting them to counsel or leaving them as associate. Also, not everybody starts at a firm then spends all of there time there - people leave to clerk, for other jobs, for kids, etc. and that can make things look different than they actually are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

truevines

Bronze

Post by truevines » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Met a guy recently who is an attorney at a NY Big Law firm. Told me he has been with the firm for 10 years. I just assumed he was a partner. Looked at his profile on the firms website and he is listed as an associate. I know people that stay longer than 8-years and don't make partner are promoted to Of Counsel or Counsel but I didn't know you could just continue at the associate level for that long. is this common? Kinda goes against the up & out reputation of Big Law.
Not all firms have an up-or-out structure. Many firms use a flexible structure, which allows you to stay at a certain level as long as you like. Compensation is determined based on the level, rather than seniority.

I see no harm to be a senior associate forever - getting paid 300k/year and no pressure for business development.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:39 pm

I know a guy who has been an associate for thirty years, just never made partner. Hey, it happens.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Some firms even have an official or unofficial 10 yr partnership track. At any rate, I know 13th yrs.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:49 pm

About half the time, I think being a partner is overrated anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Different firms have different rules for how their partnership track works, even the up-and-out firms. Some firms allow associates to be considered for partner multiple times. I know of a couple of associates who have been 9th/10th year associates, even though the firm formally has an 8-year track. I believe in both cases they were 2-year clerks, so maybe that had something to do with it since their first year at the firm would have been as a third-year.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:17 pm

I see no harm to be a senior associate forever - getting paid 300k/year and no pressure for business development.
Except that when the shit hits the fan, you will be among the first people let go and no one will want to hire a 10th year associate.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:51 am

zweitbester wrote:
Except that when the shit hits the fan, you will be among the first people let go and no one will want to hire a 10th year associate.
This, except you are not getting 300k a year, in all likelihood.

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Post by 911 crisis actor » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:52 am

Be careful, OP. The taint of his crippling failure may have rubbed off on you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:Not all firms have an 8 year partnership track.
This.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:57 am

911 crisis actor wrote:Be careful, OP. The taint of his crippling failure may have rubbed off on you
I definitely wasn't trying to imply he was a failure. He's actually done pretty well for himself. At first, I thought he was being modest and didn't want to mention that he was a partner at the firm. I have a friend who's a surgeon and when people ask him what he does for a living he tells them he "works at a hospital." Thought he might be one of those types. My reaction to him still being an associate after 10 years at the same big law firm had more to do with my ignorance of how big law works I suppose and less to do with him being a "failure."

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Jones Day has a 10-year partner track, among a few others.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:20 pm

truevines wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Met a guy recently who is an attorney at a NY Big Law firm. Told me he has been with the firm for 10 years. I just assumed he was a partner. Looked at his profile on the firms website and he is listed as an associate. I know people that stay longer than 8-years and don't make partner are promoted to Of Counsel or Counsel but I didn't know you could just continue at the associate level for that long. is this common? Kinda goes against the up & out reputation of Big Law.
Not all firms have an up-or-out structure. Many firms use a flexible structure, which allows you to stay at a certain level as long as you like. Compensation is determined based on the level, rather than seniority.

I would take that over the stress of being a partner.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:46 pm

Devlin wrote:
truevines wrote:

No, you wouldn't

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:28 pm

kalvano wrote:About half the time, I think being a partner is overrated anyway.
besides the salary, do you see any other benefits?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:07 pm

deebanger wrote:
kalvano wrote:About half the time, I think being a partner is overrated anyway.
besides the salary, do you see any other benefits?
Significantly better job security.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:23 pm

5ky wrote:
Devlin wrote:
truevines wrote:

No, you wouldn't
Well that's just dumb. These days, being a partner is basically running a business. If you don't want to run a small business, but do want to be a lawyer, being a career associate would be great.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”