Firm vs Judge - 2L summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm vs Judge - 2L summer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm working on my game-plan for this summer and would really appreciate any feedback.

Top 25% at big state school (UGA/UF/UA) + moot court. Worked for a state PI agency last summer and really enjoyed it but I wouldn't work there after graduation unless I had no other options. I'm K-JD but worked for two years at an NLJ 250 firm while in undergrad.

Would like to work in private practice and am open to pretty much any area of law. I know biglaw is out of the question so my goal is for a firm with 25+ attorneys. Would also love to clerk after school but I'm also realistic about those chances.

I've done some OCI and mailing but haven't had too many results. However, I have been offered a summer clerkship position with a state DCA judge in the best district in the state. The judge was a judge at my moot court competition last semester which led to the offer. My team didn't win but I won best oralist.

I think I would really enjoy working for an appellate judge but I'm just worried about my employment prospects with a firm after having not worked for a firm in either of my summers.

Should I hold out for a firm or take this while I can?

alicrimson

Re: Firm vs Judge - 2L summer

Postby alicrimson » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm working on my game-plan for this summer and would really appreciate any feedback.

Top 25% at big state school (UGA/UF/UA) + moot court. Worked for a state PI agency last summer and really enjoyed it but I wouldn't work there after graduation unless I had no other options. I'm K-JD but worked for two years at an NLJ 250 firm while in undergrad.

Would like to work in private practice and am open to pretty much any area of law. I know biglaw is out of the question so my goal is for a firm with 25+ attorneys. Would also love to clerk after school but I'm also realistic about those chances.

I've done some OCI and mailing but haven't had too many results. However, I have been offered a summer clerkship position with a state DCA judge in the best district in the state. The judge was a judge at my moot court competition last semester which led to the offer. My team didn't win but I won best oralist.

I think I would really enjoy working for an appellate judge but I'm just worried about my employment prospects with a firm after having not worked for a firm in either of my summers.

Should I hold out for a firm or take this while I can?

If spring OCI is coming to your school, give it a shot. Also, keep mailing. I attend one of your listed schools, and if you go to my school spring OCI is coming. I think it's always better to go firm (assuming, of course, that the firm intends to make offers for full time employment), than to a summer externship gig. PM me if you want more details or if you want to discuss what school you go to, because, if we are at the same place, I'd be more than happy to send you a list of potential firms to mail to. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”