quick question about resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

quick question about resume

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:06 pm

hey,

i have seen a lot of students put like "X name scholarship recipient" or something to that extent below their law school when applying for internships, etc... i don't have a named scholarship, just a merit scholarship.. do i put that on resumes? like "Merit Scholar" lol or do i just leave out the fact that i have one?

thanks!

rad21

New

Re: quick question about resume

Post by rad21 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey,

i have seen a lot of students put like "X name scholarship recipient" or something to that extent below their law school when applying for internships, etc... i don't have a named scholarship, just a merit scholarship.. do i put that on resumes? like "Merit Scholar" lol or do i just leave out the fact that i have one?

thanks!
I don't have anything about scholarships on my resume (and I have a "named" scholarship). Maybe if it was awarded for a writing competition or something, I would include it.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:25 am

thanks!
Yes. "received a scholarship" or "reeived a full ride" or receiveed a schoolly that covers fifty percent of tuition" or how you like.

SouthernMiss

New

Post by SouthernMiss » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:30 am

I would email your CSO to find out how other students with your scholarship indicate it (if at all). Your CSO might even be able to send you a set of sample resumes recently used by students at your school that are considered "models."

That being said, at my school we ALL include scholarships. We format it by calling ourselves an "X Scholar." For example, if you received a Chancellor's Scholarship, you write "Chancellor's Scholar." If you received a Dean's Scholarship, you write "Dean's Scholar."

If there is really no name for your scholarship, then I would write "Merit Scholar."

Assuming you have a section for combined "Law School Honors/Activities," put it there. Or if you have a separate "Law School Honors" category, put it there.

:D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am

SouthernMiss wrote:I would email your CSO to find out how other students with your scholarship indicate it (if at all). Your CSO might even be able to send you a set of sample resumes recently used by students at your school that are considered "models."

That being said, at my school we ALL include scholarships. We format it by calling ourselves an "X Scholar." For example, if you received a Chancellor's Scholarship, you write "Chancellor's Scholar." If you received a Dean's Scholarship, you write "Dean's Scholar."

If there is really no name for your scholarship, then I would write "Merit Scholar."

Assuming you have a section for combined "Law School Honors/Activities," put it there. Or if you have a separate "Law School Honors" category, put it there.

:D
Perfect! Thanks, I'll shoot an email out today to gauge that but I figured as much. It just sounds strange: "Merit Scholar" as opposed to Dean's Scholar or X Scholar...

AnotherYearOlder

New

Post by AnotherYearOlder » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:09 pm

thanks!
"Merit Scholar" is just fine. If you have other information on the scholarship, I'd include that, but at this point (since you likely don't have your grades yet), anything that can be used to evidence your academic ability is a plus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”