1L IP Biotech SA discussion

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bulinus

1L IP Biotech SA discussion

Postby bulinus » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:41 am

I have no idea what is happening. I am googling things like 'top patent firms D.C' and then seeing if they have an email address to send things to. That's what you do, right?

wiseowl

Re: 1L IP Biotech SA discussion

Postby wiseowl » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:39 am

Generally yes.

You probably need to cover your bases and throw in some general IP or some judges as well. Biotech 1L jobs are not plentiful.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:49 am

bulinus wrote:I have no idea what is happening. I am googling things like 'top patent firms D.C' and then seeing if they have an email address to send things to. That's what you do, right?

Use nalp directory, and http://www.martindale.com.

ipguy

Postby ipguy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Do the same thing as all of the other SAs. Read the other threads. Nothing is different for you other than what you put on the paper. There are several threads on how to approach mass mailing 1l SAs now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:24 am

I hate to be discouraging, but your options for SA 1L in biotech are gonna be limited, unless you have a PhD or some great industry experience, or if you're an URM. I'd shoot for working at the patent office externship program (in Alexandria, VA, or in Detroit), if you can afford to not get paid anything. Or get an internship clerking for an ALJ at the ITC (also in DC). You could also try to get an internship inhouse at big pharma. If none of that appeals to you, stay at school and do research for your patent law prof.

ipguy wrote:Do the same thing as all of the other SAs. Read the other threads. Nothing is different for you other than what you put on the paper. There are several threads on how to approach mass mailing 1l SAs now.

This is not quite true, because there are so many small patent pros boutiques all over the country which may not be listed in NALP, and may not even regularly take 1L SA but will be more than happy to take a look at your resume if your tech background matches what they need. Just keep mass emailing cover letters and resumes to those recruiting contacts.

bulinus

Postby bulinus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks. I hadn't really considered those super small shops.

Return to “Legal Employment”