Help with choice between two (lower tier?) clerkships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help with choice between two (lower tier?) clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:05 pm

I have what I believe to be pretty good odds at securing two different opportunities. Both will probably arise in January. One of them has the potential to be an interview and offer on the spot. The other is a long process in which I am currently a finalist. I'm sure you'll figure out which is which.

1. 2 year Bankruptcy Court clerkship in flyover district
2. 2 year Clerkship with DOJ Executive Office for Immigration Review

My goal at the end would be hopefully a transition into mid-law firm, practicing either in bankruptcy, labor and employment, or immigration.

I know that is a strange set of practice area interests, but my interests in those particular areas, and my legal experience in thos particular areas is legitimate.

Do you see one as being "above" the other in the theoretical tier system of clerkships?

Re: Help with choice between two (lower tier?) clerkships

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:54 pm

If you want to do bankruptcy, take the bk clerkship. If you're not in DE, SDNY, or a handful of others you won't get top shelf 11 experience and will be handling a lot of consumer cases, but it's still a great educational experience and you never know when you'll get hit with a complex case.

micwrecka45

Postby micwrecka45 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:19 pm

I had 2 friends who did BK clerkships (don't remember which states, but not SDNY or DE), and both landed BK positions shortly thereafter, one at a big firm and one at a small firm that specializes in BK.

Good luck with the interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:20 pm

micwrecka45 wrote:I had 2 friends who did BK clerkships (don't remember which states, but not SDNY or DE), and both landed BK positions shortly thereafter, one at a big firm and one at a small firm that specializes in BK.

Good luck with the interviews.

I can add anecdotally that all the bk clerks I know (in a marginal district) ended up with good firm jobs. If you like bk work it's an awesome opportunity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks alot for the good input.

I have been instinctively leaning toward the BK clerkship, assuming I even get the offer. I wanted to get a little backup for my "gut" feeling.

I know that filings are down currently, but they are very cyclical and I'll have 2 years to see what happens with the economy, filings in general.

Now I'll focus on the interview, and I hope I have this tough decision to make.

anonymous2012

Postby anonymous2012 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Bk judges are more qualified than immigration judges. Unless you want DOJ long term, go with bankruptcy.

Return to “Legal Employment”