How should I determine which practice group to join?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How should I determine which practice group to join?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:03 pm

I summered at a firm that makes you choose corp v. lit up front, but gives you a while after joining the firm before making you specialize further.

I imagine that it will happen organically (pmuch the first partner to give me an assignment will want to keep me) but I was thinking, if I'm given a choice, how should I decide? I was considering looking through other associates' timesheets to see what their hours are like (I'm looking for ~8 hrs billed a day). Or, should I try to get into the highest rated practice group my office has? Or, should I decide based upon which group has people who I most enjoy working with/for?

Re: How should I determine which practice group to join?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I summered at a firm that makes you choose corp v. lit up front, but gives you a while after joining the firm before making you specialize further.

I imagine that it will happen organically (pmuch the first partner to give me an assignment will want to keep me) but I was thinking, if I'm given a choice, how should I decide? I was considering looking through other associates' timesheets to see what their hours are like (I'm looking for ~8 hrs billed a day). Or, should I try to get into the highest rated practice group my office has? Or, should I decide based upon which group has people who I most enjoy working with/for?

lol

I'd go a lot more in depth than just hours. Other factors I'd consider: exit options, level of interest in the work, etc. etc.

NotMyRealName09

Re: How should I determine which practice group to join?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Maybe you should decide based on whether you want to litigate or not. I was going to make fun of you for being so entirely oblivious about the nature of the career you are intending to have for the rest of your life, but law school doesn't exactly provide this type of detail, so I didn't.

So I'll start you off with the first of many basic questions you need to consider: do you like civ pro, and do you want to argue motions you wrote in court? If so, you want to litigate.

Or, would you rather collaborate on business deals, drawing up contracts and negotiating over contract terms, businesses buying businesses, etc.? If so. You want corporate.

Lesser considerations are hours, prestige, and the people. If the people are great but you don't like the work, then that sucks. If the hours are long but you hate the work, that sucks.

Seriously, figure out what TYPE of work you want to do forever, and go from there. Good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”