Effect of no 1L summer job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rickgrimes69

Re: Effect of no 1L summer job?

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:21 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:Anybody else think this is the same guy that was gunning for BIGWESTVIRGINIAPUBLICINTEREST with no ties to the region?

Can't find the link atm but that thread was a goldmine.

same guy, lol.

eta: if you're from wv, sorry if i offended you by calling it a "podunk, flyover state", rick.

Not from there so no offense taken. I'm just lol'ing at how predictable that outcome was.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:13 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:Anybody else think this is the same guy that was gunning for BIGWESTVIRGINIAPUBLICINTEREST with no ties to the region?

same guy, lol.

eta: if you're from wv, sorry if i offended you by calling it a "podunk, flyover state", rick.

Not from there so no offense taken. I'm just lol'ing at how predictable that outcome was.

yeah, he's pretty much given up on wv. too insular of a market. hell, you need ties to get to philly or atlanta.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:26 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:52 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:Is this non-profit doing anything remotely related to legal work? If it was he should just ask like that was his plan all along.

sorta. it's a historical preservation law -related nonprofit.

also, i'd hardly say he missed the "2L boat"...believe it or not, public interest hiring is still in full swing. so are small firms.

public interest 2L hiring has barely even started. I haven't even reviewed resumes yet and won't be done for another month or two.

Just stress the legal aspects of the non-profit on the resume. Honestly if I were reviewing his resume I would view it as a plus. He should get involved in clinics/volunteer work regardless.

It's also not entirely unheard of to not have a summer legal job. I had a couple friends who didn't do one (they were weirdos who did their own thing in law school). There are people who just don't find anything; rare, but it happens. In PI it's not a complete deal breaker but honestly that person would get grilled extra hard in an interview because I would want to know why that person didn't have offers and also probably rely on their references more.

what happened to the "weirdos" postgrad? did the find a FTLT jerb?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:30 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:Is this non-profit doing anything remotely related to legal work? If it was he should just ask like that was his plan all along.

sorta. it's a historical preservation law -related nonprofit.

also, i'd hardly say he missed the "2L boat"...believe it or not, public interest hiring is still in full swing. so are small firms.

public interest 2L hiring has barely even started. I haven't even reviewed resumes yet and won't be done for another month or two.

Just stress the legal aspects of the non-profit on the resume. Honestly if I were reviewing his resume I would view it as a plus. He should get involved in clinics/volunteer work regardless.

It's also not entirely unheard of to not have a summer legal job. I had a couple friends who didn't do one (they were weirdos who did their own thing in law school). There are people who just don't find anything; rare, but it happens. In PI it's not a complete deal breaker but honestly that person would get grilled extra hard in an interview because I would want to know why that person didn't have offers and also probably rely on their references more.

what happened to the "weirdos" postgrad? did the find a FTLT jerb?

They did but they also went to a T10 and either had stellar grades, connections, or both, so I think it was more of that situation enabled them to be weirdos when it came to job searching.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:32 pm

were they JD required jerbs? or at least JD advantage?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:15 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:You need ties to get anywhere. I was grilled about why I wanted NY, despite the TLS manta of not needing ties for NY.

Huh? Who said that? Granted I'm never on TLS unless it's winter break or that small bit of time in between spring finals and summer job, but I live here and am from here, and have been asked that question in interviews. Granted, for me it quickly moves to "why THIS office," but still, that was bad advice.

EDIT: oh, and to answer the original question, if the dude is gunning for PI, he needs to be able to spin his 1L (non)experience into something relevant to whatever little specific sector he's going for (no 1L's, "public interest law" is not an actual career goal).

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:30 pm

sd5289 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:You need ties to get anywhere. I was grilled about why I wanted NY, despite the TLS manta of not needing ties for NY.

Huh? Who said that? Granted I'm never on TLS unless it's winter break or that small bit of time in between spring finals and summer job, but I live here and am from here, and have been asked that question in interviews. Granted, for me it quickly moves to "why THIS office," but still, that was bad advice.

EDIT: oh, and to answer the original question, if the dude is gunning for PI, he needs to be able to spin his 1L (non)experience into something relevant to whatever little specific sector he's going for (no 1L's, "public interest law" is not an actual career goal).

yeah, unfortunately, his goal is rather amorphous--i.e. ed reform. he eventually wants to run for office.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:10 am

BlueLotus wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

yeah, unfortunately, his goal is rather amorphous--i.e. ed reform. he eventually wants to run for office.

Wasn't his whole schtick about "bringing civilization to the poor, uneducated masses of WVa"? Yeah, that'll play well in Peoria.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:52 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

Wasn't his whole schtick about "bringing civilization to the poor, uneducated masses of WVa"? Yeah, that'll play well in Peoria.

he was interested in ed reform in wv, not in those words, but in a general sense, yes...and then the brick walls happened, predictably.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:26 pm

that always plays well: i am here to civilize you and your savage brethren.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:25 pm

Update: he is still not jerbed for the summer. :|

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:27 am

BlueLotus wrote:Update: he is still not jerbed for the summer. :|

I overheard a few 2LOL's mentioning they were still not jerbed for this summer a few days ago. I think I'd be having a meltdown at this point if I was in their shoes.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:42 am

[q.
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:28 pm

Yeah, I told him to just start calling up legal aid places and asking if they're taking volunteers for the summer.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Has he applied to things or just waited until now?

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:11 am

well, I didn't get my 1L gig until the end of April, but i was pretty much the last person among my friends to find something. I'm sure you've already done this, but you need to tell your friend that he cannot afford to be selective about anything at this point.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 am

worldtraveler wrote:Has he applied to things or just waited until now?

he has not applied to places at all.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Perhaps I should change the title to " Effect of no 1L AND 2L Summer Jerb". -__-

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:54 pm

This person just doesn't really want to be a lawyer.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:14 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:This person just doesn't really want to be a lawyer.

I've pretty much given up on him. I hand-picked a jerb for him last summer through connections and he did not take it. :|

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:52 am

BlueLotus wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

same guy, lol.

yeah, he's pretty much given up on wv. too insular of a market. hell, you need ties to get to philly or atlanta.

Why the fuck would anyone want to target WV unless they had really compelling ties anyway.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:32 am

^he needs to "civilize" those toothless hillbillies!

Return to “Legal Employment”