1L sa questions (specifically diversity SA)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L sa questions (specifically diversity SA)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:02 am

1. For diverse students, do you apply for both the diversity fellowship and regular 1L SA, or just the diversity one?
2. What do you write about for the diversity personal statement? The topics are extremely vague (ie: "how would you contribute to diversity"). I'm pretty stumped on how to write this, or what to write about. The answer that comes to my head is to hold a diversity training day like in The Office. Would this be similar to diversity statements used for law school apps?
3. For mass mailing, do you send separate emails to the recruiters or send them all one cover letter saying "i'm interested in city X, Y, and Z."
4. If I'm correct, the 1L SA process is: I should go to each and every V100 firm website (and firms in my home market) and apply through that (meaning I would have to at least manually check 50-100 websites). If there's no application, I mail merge using info from NALP. Am I missing anything so far?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L sa questions (specifically diversity SA)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I am a fellow 1L but this is what I did:

1. Depends on the firm, but I have applied to both.
2. My statement kind of suck, but I wrote about myself and how my diversity would contribute to the firm. A 2L at my school said she tweaked her law school statement so if yours works you could do that. My law school statement was inappropriate.
3. I sent out separate emails with the same basic cover letter. I tried to tweak it so it said something about the firm I was applying to like a practice area I was interested in or something.
4. I got a mailing list from a club I am in more similar to mail merge on NALP. I tried a couple apps but some required a transcript and were a pain. I have heard back from some places already, applied 12/1-5 in TX, so I guess what I did was fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:02 am

For diversity, do firms have to have a specific diversity program? Or do you just write "I'm a minority" on your cover letter and see what happens?

A lot of firms have a diversity section on their website but they don't have a diversity SA program per se. Do I still add "I'm a minority" somewhere in my cover letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Does anyone know the timeline for diversity 1L SAs? How long after their deadline do they normally extend 1st round interviews, etc?

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For diversity, do firms have to have a specific diversity program? Or do you just write "I'm a minority" on your cover letter and see what happens?

A lot of firms have a diversity section on their website but they don't have a diversity SA program per se. Do I still add "I'm a minority" somewhere in my cover letter?

Some firms do have a specific diversity 1L summer associate position. for others, you dont add that youre a minority on your cover letter. On your resume, at the top, put things that show you are diverse like "Latin American Law Students Association" etc (especially if your name doesnt give it away)

Return to “Legal Employment”