What type of summer employment should I do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Connor Benz

What type of summer employment should I do?

Postby Connor Benz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Since I feel like my first semester was CRAP, I'm wondering what type of employment that I should pursue for summer.

I'm thinking of going back to one of my last internships (in-house counsel for a fortune-500 company since I have developed a interest in transactional work or back to my State Senator's office, since I am very interested in politics). I don't know if I should do that, or still continue to look for different summer employment. I was thinking of looking at a firm because they a department that does "Legislation" which is related to my interest and I figure not many students go to firms to work on legislation.

Scotusnerd

Re: What type of summer employment should I p?

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Top Law Schools Annotated Code Section 14-2-14
SUMMER EMPLOYMENT
(1) If law student is a 1L, they shall obtain employment in:
    (a) a paid position;
    (b) in a location the law student would like to practice; and
    (c) with interesting work.
(2) If law student is a 1L and cannot obtain employment under subsection (1), they must obtain either:
    (a) a legal research assistantship;
    (b) a paid job in a nonlegal profession; or
    (c) an unpaid volunteer job in an area of interest.

Notes of Decisions:
"Law student does not qualify under TLS Code Ann. 14-2-14 when they merely find employment they believe to be enjoyable. While section (1)(c) does state that they should have 'interesting work', it does not say it is the job of their dreams. Indeed, most law students have no idea what real law is about nor what constitutes proper practice of law." TLS Board of Com'm v. Anonymous 1L, 126 S.B.A. 442, 446 (2010).

clone22

Re: What type of summer employment should I do?

Postby clone22 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm

All of your options seem perfectly fine. As long as you do something that is even marginally legally related and about which you will be able to talk with excitement during OCI, it will be fine.

Cheers

A. Nony Mouse

Re: What type of summer employment should I do?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Connor Benz wrote:Since I feel like my first semester was CRAP, I'm wondering what type of employment that I should pursue for summer.

I'm thinking of going back to one of my last internships (in-house counsel for a fortune-500 company since I have developed a interest in transactional work or back to my State Senator's office, since I am very interested in politics). I don't know if I should do that, or still continue to look for different summer employment. I was thinking of looking at a firm because they a department that does "Legislation" which is related to my interest and I figure not many students go to firms to work on legislation.

Honestly, not many 1Ls go to firms to work on anything during 1L summer - 1L firm jobs are fairly rare.

wbrother

Re: What type of summer employment should I p?

Postby wbrother » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Top Law Schools Annotated Code Section 14-2-14
SUMMER EMPLOYMENT
(1) If law student is a 1L, they shall obtain employment in:
    (a) a paid position;
    (b) in a location the law student would like to practice; and
    (c) with interesting work.
(2) If law student is a 1L and cannot obtain employment under subsection (1), they must obtain either:
    (a) a legal research assistantship;
    (b) a paid job in a nonlegal profession; or
    (c) an unpaid volunteer job in an area of interest.

Notes of Decisions:
"Law student does not qualify under TLS Code Ann. 14-2-14 when they merely find employment they believe to be enjoyable. While section (1)(c) does state that they should have 'interesting work', it does not say it is the job of their dreams. Indeed, most law students have no idea what real law is about nor what constitutes proper practice of law." TLS Board of Com'm v. Anonymous 1L, 126 S.B.A. 442, 446 (2010).

Been hitting the CivPro studies recently?

Return to “Legal Employment”