Summer Classes 2014 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
xJD2017x

Re: Summer Classes 2014 Edition

Postby xJD2017x » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:06 pm

any results for firms like skadden, latham or GDC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Irell LA
Chicago-4
Harvard-3
Loyola-3
USC-3
Stanford-3
UCLA-2
Michigan-2
NYU-1
Duke-1
Berkeley-1
Columbia-1

Irell Newport
Chicago-2
Stanford-1
UCLA-1
NYU-1
Harvard-1
Columbia-1

RopeisaJoke

Postby RopeisaJoke » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:12 pm

outed for anon abuse

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
parkslope wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
parkslope wrote:Why do YLS students like PW so much?

It's mostly the other way around. They have a large number of interview slots at FIP, the NY office gives CBs to literally everyone who interviews with them, and they make offers to at least 2/3s of the people who accept CBs.

Although, they do specialize in litigation and present themselves as super-liberal, which probably both count heavily in their favor. They also do an excellent job with recruiting -- they must spend an absolute fortune. And I think they have a slightly better reputation for quality of life than the other top litigation firms.

But it can't really be about interview slots and callback offer rates because presumably the V10 competitors do the same for YLS students. It can't be that hard for YLS students to get a ton of V10 offers. It's not like CSM and S&C aren't trying to amass as many YLS students as possible.

Those places are also hellish--and to reiterate the past comments, PW is top-notch for litigation work, unlike S&C/CSM--and most YLS students are lit focused. I've been on S&C/CSM CBs and they don't wine and dine you like PW does--the bill for my cb lunch at PW was $100/person (prime rib), and they had a gourmet callback dinner. I even had a STB attorney tell me (during a callback) that I should go to PW if I cared about the firm being willing to spend money on me (she compared her husband's lunch budget at PW to her "employee appreciation week" mousepad).

CAN WE GET BACK TO REPORTING CLASS SIZES? I thought that was theo point of this.

good point, but still anon abuse

soj

Postby soj » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:51 am

if you're just speculating why some firms are more attractive to yale students and not posting your firm's summer class, i don't understand why you need to be anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:When they have an 8 week program, pay under market, cancel planned outings because the budget ran out, and send out an email at 10:00 one morning (with 2 weeks left) saying they will no longer cover lunches (effective that day), then yeah it raises some questions, especially when they start refusing to cover callback expenses. V50-100 firm, BTW.

Whoaaaa....what firm is that? In NYC?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When they have an 8 week program, pay under market, cancel planned outings because the budget ran out, and send out an email at 10:00 one morning (with 2 weeks left) saying they will no longer cover lunches (effective that day), then yeah it raises some questions, especially when they start refusing to cover callback expenses. V50-100 firm, BTW.

Sounds like a firm you could really ENJOY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:20 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sounds like what I read on Kasowitz, which effectively withdraw an offer from my friend last OCI by "suggesting" he'd accept elsewhere.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You don't seriously consider how many times a firm takes you out to lunch during your a SA as a reflection of firm stability do you?

When they have an 8 week program, pay under market, cancel planned outings because the budget ran out, and send out an email at 10:00 one morning (with 2 weeks left) saying they will no longer cover lunches (effective that day), then yeah it raises some questions, especially when they start refusing to cover callback expenses. V50-100 firm, BTW.

Obviously, yes in this situation that makes sense. But clearly the firms these guys are deciding between weren't having these issues, so your post is largely irrelevant.

But that aside, you really should (have) report(ed) this to abovethelaw. I don't get why you didn't.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sounds like what I read on Kasowitz, which effectively withdraw an offer from my friend last OCI by "suggesting" he'd accept elsewhere.

Oh good catch, that's actually a better guess.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:41 pm

lgleye wrote:Surprised that so few have reported on the "middle" firms (V25-60) like Orrick, DLA, FF, Willkie, Milbank, etc.

cool anon abuse, bro

Middle is a little rude, but I can speak to at least one of the listed firms that we have not received a summer class list yet.

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Any word on the Texas market?

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:54 pm

W&C – NYC

Harvard – 2
Chicago – 1
Columbia – 2
NYU – 2
Penn – 1
UVA – 1
Michigan – 1
Duke – 2
Northwestern – 2
Cornell – 5
Georgetown – 2
University of Toronto – 1
GW– 2
Emory – 2
Notre Dame – 2
Boston College – 1
Fordham – 1
Tulane – 1
American – 1
Cardozo – 1

Total = 33

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:W&C – NYC

Harvard – 2
Chicago – 1
Columbia – 2
NYU – 2
Penn – 1
UVA – 1
Michigan – 1
Duke – 2
Northwestern – 2
Cornell – 5
Georgetown – 2
GW– 2
Emory – 2
Notre Dame – 2
Boston College – 1
Fordham – 1
Tulane – 1
American – 1
Cardozo – 1

Total = 33

Small class size for such a ranked Biglaw firm (samller than Cadwalader's?). Apparently very democratically spread across wide range of schools. Surprising.

user outed for unnecessary anon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:W&C – NYC

Harvard – 2
Chicago – 1
Columbia – 2
NYU – 2
Penn – 1
UVA – 1
Michigan – 1
Duke – 2
Northwestern – 2
Cornell – 5
Georgetown – 2
GW– 2
Emory – 2
Notre Dame – 2
Boston College – 1
Fordham – 1
Tulane – 1
American – 1
Cardozo – 1

Total = 33

Small class size for such a ranked Biglaw firm (samller than Cadwalader's?). Apparently very democratically spread across wide range of schools. Surprising.

2 from HYS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not DLA, but NYC. DLA is back up to 160, but the firm in question is not.

Anonymous User wrote:Sounds like what I read on Kasowitz, which effectively withdraw an offer from my friend last OCI by "suggesting" he'd accept elsewhere.
I don't believe Kasowitz has been below market.

zweitbester wrote:Obviously, yes in this situation that makes sense. But clearly the firms these guys are deciding between weren't having these issues, so your post is largely irrelevant.

But that aside, you really should (have) report(ed) this to abovethelaw. I don't get why you didn't.

I don't know why you're assuming I didn't report it.

And the suggestion was made that picking between firms based on their entertainment budgets was stupid, not that picking between V10s based on their budgets was stupid. The fact is that these budgets do send signals to students, as they are intended to. If students are stupid to make decisions based on these signals, then firms are just as stupid to spend money on sending these signals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was about to say "LOL michigan" again, but maybe we should see a few more classes first...

Assuming this responds to the DPW numbers. Two people accepted but they offered about 8 of us. The offer dinner was *really* weird and they turned many people off.

[anon because discussing a personal experience with a specific firm. Please don't out me.]

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:27 pm

And the suggestion was made that picking between firms based on their entertainment budgets was stupid, not that picking between V10s based on their budgets was stupid. The fact is that these budgets do send signals to students, as they are intended to. If students are stupid to make decisions based on these signals, then firms are just as stupid to spend money on sending these signals.

No. What happened to you was far more significant, so it's still misleading to compare your firm to the discussion we were having.

Not continuing this conversation because it's stupid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Talking about sup-par compensation, I know a few firms went on a 2-tier system.....I think Proskauer was one of them. Did most of these firms return to lockstep now that the market has stabilized? Where can I get this info?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:47 pm

NALP has Proskauer (NY) at $160k for the 2013 class. I would just Google whatever firm you're trying to figure it out for. It's generally easy to find if you have a specific firm in mind. The starting salaries are not a well-kept secret.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 pm

zweitbester wrote:

No. What happened to you was far more significant, so it's still misleading to compare your firm to the discussion we were having.

Not continuing this conversation because it's stupid.

No shit it's more significant, and the disparity in entertainment budgets reflected those significant differences which wouldn't be apparent unless you actually worked there. And while it may be on the opposite end of the spectrum, but the spectrum is continuous, and at some point there's going to be a place where entertainment budgets may reflect things that are not immediately apparent. What if it was simply very low budgets and few/free events? Or only giving callback to kids from local schools to avoid callback expenses (which seems kind of unbelievable but is something that I think some firms actually do)? And at what point does it become unreasonable for the kid on an interview to read things into how much a firm spends on her?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:48 pm

only handful of firms I know paying below market in NYC. One is Reed-Smith, they don't keep it a secret. as a matter of fact,. it's almost like they're proud of it.

Return to “Legal Employment”