Summer Classes 2014 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
911 crisis actor

Re: Summer Classes 2014 Edition

Postby 911 crisis actor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:01 am

YLS students are clawing at the doors of Roberta Kaplan for some of that SCOTUS BIGPROBONO work

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cadwalader:

NYC, DC, Charlotte: 38

Columbia: 6
NYU: 5
UVA: 4
Fordham: 3
GW: 3
Cornell: 3
Harvard: 2
WUSTL: 2
Penn: 2
Duke: 2
Berkeley: 1
Stanford: 1
U. South Carolina: 1
Pace: 1
BC: 1
UNC: 1

That's across ALL offices? Oh, man, that a pitifully small class size. What the Hell happended to them?

Huh? It's not far off from last year:

37 total summers wrote:Cadwalader's 2013 summer program includes law students from the following schools:

American University, Washington College of Law

Boston College Law School

Columbia University School of Law

Cornell University Law School

Emory University School of Law

Fordham University School of Law

Georgetown University Law Center

Harvard Law School

New York University School of Law

Stanford University Law School

University of California at Berkeley School of Law

University of Chicago Law School

University of Georgia School of Law

University of Minnesota Law School

University of Pennsylvania Law School

University of Virginia School of Law

Washington University School of Law

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:50 am

Cadwalader has actually been gaining a lot of momentum recently. Cadwalader was able to snag one of the biggest names on Wall Street (Jim Woolery) last year. With Woolery, it's possible that Cadwalader will be one of the very top firms on the street in a few years from now.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cadwalader has actually been gaining a lot of momentum recently. Cadwalader was able to snag one of the biggest names on Wall Street (Jim Woolery) last year. With Woolery, it's possible that Cadwalader will be one of the very top firms on the street in a few years from now.

:lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cadwalader has actually been gaining a lot of momentum recently. Cadwalader was able to snag one of the biggest names on Wall Street (Jim Woolery) last year. With Woolery, it's possible that Cadwalader will be one of the very top firms on the street in a few years from now.

I will be summering at Cadwalader and this score definitely made me feel good about my decision. See also, http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 3663880944.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Allen & Overy NYC:

Harvard: 1
Columbia: 2
Penn: 1
Mich: 1
Cornell: 1
Duke: 1
Northwestern: 1
Georgetown: 2
Vanderbilt: 1
Brooklyn: 3

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:29 pm

A&O with a class < 15. How the mighty have fallen.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A&O with a class < 15. How the mighty have fallen.

With a plurality of the class from Brooklyn. Oh, the humanity!

911 crisis actor

Postby 911 crisis actor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:52 pm

BLS kids shaking the rest of the summers down for lunch money in the hallways.

Surprised that A&O even fielded a summer class at all, given the amount of bad press they've received

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 pm

I don't think they've ever had large classes in the U.S., or even in their London office. The NY office is <175 lawyers, I'm not sure how big you'd expect their class to be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think they've ever had large classes in the U.S., or even in their London office. The NY office is <175 lawyers, I'm not sure how big you'd expect their class to be.

Just that it seemed like yesterday when they were pushing to expand their presence in the U.S. I guess their European operations dragged them down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:30 am

parkslope wrote:Why do YLS students like PW so much?

It's mostly the other way around. They have a large number of interview slots at FIP, the NY office gives CBs to literally everyone who interviews with them, and they make offers to at least 2/3s of the people who accept CBs.

Although, they do specialize in litigation and present themselves as super-liberal, which probably both count heavily in their favor. They also do an excellent job with recruiting -- they must spend an absolute fortune. And I think they have a slightly better reputation for quality of life than the other top litigation firms.

parkslope

Postby parkslope » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It's mostly the other way around. They have a large number of interview slots at FIP, the NY office gives CBs to literally everyone who interviews with them, and they make offers to at least 2/3s of the people who accept CBs.

Although, they do specialize in litigation and present themselves as super-liberal, which probably both count heavily in their favor. They also do an excellent job with recruiting -- they must spend an absolute fortune. And I think they have a slightly better reputation for quality of life than the other top litigation firms.

But it can't really be about interview slots and callback offer rates because presumably the V10 competitors do the same for YLS students. It can't be that hard for YLS students to get a ton of V10 offers. It's not like CSM and S&C aren't trying to amass as many YLS students as possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:47 pm

parkslope wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But it can't really be about interview slots and callback offer rates because presumably the V10 competitors do the same for YLS students. It can't be that hard for YLS students to get a ton of V10 offers. It's not like CSM and S&C aren't trying to amass as many YLS students as possible.

Those places are also hellish--and to reiterate the past comments, PW is top-notch for litigation work, unlike S&C/CSM--and most YLS students are lit focused. I've been on S&C/CSM CBs and they don't wine and dine you like PW does--the bill for my cb lunch at PW was $100/person (prime rib), and they had a gourmet callback dinner. I even had a STB attorney tell me (during a callback) that I should go to PW if I cared about the firm being willing to spend money on me (she compared her husband's lunch budget at PW to her "employee appreciation week" mousepad).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:52 pm

parkslope wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Most of the V15 firms do have a very large number of interview slots, but not all (I think Weil, for example, only interviews 14 or so). And 2/3s isn't unusual as a CB-to-offer ratio. The big difference is that the other V15 firms are generally fairly selective at the CB stage. CSW offers CBs to less than half the students they interview, and most of the other V15 firms offer CBs to not much more than 50%.

sandiego222

Postby sandiego222 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
parkslope wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Those places are also hellish--and to reiterate the past comments, PW is top-notch for litigation work, unlike S&C/CSM--and most YLS students are lit focused. I've been on S&C/CSM CBs and they don't wine and dine you like PW does--the bill for my cb lunch at PW was $100/person (prime rib), and they had a gourmet callback dinner. I even had a STB attorney tell me (during a callback) that I should go to PW if I cared about the firm being willing to spend money on me (she compared her husband's lunch budget at PW to her "employee appreciation week" mousepad).

(Paul Weiss recruiter)

It's also great that you've worked at all of those firms and can accurately tell us that S&C/ CSM are 'hellish' and yet PW isn't. Thanks for contributing your unique insight.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
parkslope wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So you should pick your firm based on the mousepad and lunch budget? Got it.

Also, you're an idiot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:28 pm

sandiego222 wrote:

(Paul Weiss recruiter)

It's also great that you've worked at all of those firms and can accurately tell us that S&C/ CSM are 'hellish' and yet PW isn't. Thanks for contributing your unique insight.

That's fair. I didn't go there because of my unpleasant experiences with them so I can't testify to how it is there. I suppose I should have said they have the reputation for being hellish? We're trying to figure out why YLS students would choose PW over those other firms, and reputations have an impact on where people choose to go whether or not that's the reality in practice.

ETA: Not saying fancy lunches are why you SHOULD pick a firm, but are people really going to argue that doesn't have an impact on decisions? If it didn't--it's very unlikely they would continue doing it...

Also, repeating what I was told by callback atty doesn't mean those are my feelings on the subject. Don't strawman.

Going to stop responding-was anon originally b/c I was sharing my experiences but I'm not going to use it to argue.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sandiego222 wrote:

(Paul Weiss recruiter)

That's fair. I didn't go there because of my unpleasant experiences with them so I can't testify to how it is there. I suppose I should have said they have the reputation for being hellish? We're trying to figure out why YLS students would choose PW over those other firms, and reputations have an impact on where people choose to go whether or not that's the reality in practice.

ETA: Not saying fancy lunches are why you SHOULD pick a firm, but are people really going to argue that doesn't have an impact decisions? If it didn't--it's very unlikely they would continue doing it...

Also, repeating what I was told by callback atty doesn't mean those are my feelings on the subject. Don't strawman.

Going to stop responding-was anon originally b/c I was sharing my experiences but I'm not going to use it to argue.

I have to commend you for bowing out.

Any V10 is going to be "hellish" if you want a long lasting career there. Whether you gauged one to be less hellish than the other based on recruiting and callbacks should not be where you make the distinctions. You go to these firms to do the most sophisticated work at what these guys specialize in, not because you want to have a life or have your time respected.

parkslope

Postby parkslope » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:57 pm

sandiego222 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
parkslope wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's mostly the other way around. They have a large number of interview slots at FIP, the NY office gives CBs to literally everyone who interviews with them, and they make offers to at least 2/3s of the people who accept CBs.

(Paul Weiss recruiter)

Wait what? How are CSM and S&C not top-notch for litigation? http://www.chambersandpartners.com/1280 ... torial/5/1

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sandiego222 wrote:

(Paul Weiss recruiter)

ETA: Not saying fancy lunches are why you SHOULD pick a firm, but are people really going to argue that doesn't have an impact on decisions? If it didn't--it's very unlikely they would continue doing it...

I know yalies are cream de la crop, but I don't think it is reasonable to assume every Yale student has a de facto offer at every firm (you have no idea which firms they chose pw over).

Also, if we accept that yalies are the cream de la crop, which I think they are, do we really think they would be swayed by how much money a firm spends on recruitment? I think it is fair to assume that yalies are probably too deliberate in their decision making to be blinded by a prestigious slab of meat . . .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 pm

nucky thompson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sandiego222 wrote:

(Paul Weiss recruiter)

I know yalies are cream de la crop, but I don't think it is reasonable to assume every Yale student has a de facto offer at every firm (you have no idea which firms they chose pw over).

Also, if we accept that yalies are the cream de la crop, which I think they are, do we really think they would be swayed by how much money a firm spends on recruitment? I think it is fair to assume that yalies are probably too deliberate in their decision making to be blinded by a prestigious slab of meat . . .

I think lots of people (I sure did) translate a firm spending money on it's associates (giving them nice offices(or their own office), giving them a lunch budget, etc) as caring slightly more (or rather, not caring slightly less) about them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think lots of people (I sure did) translate a firm spending money on it's associates (giving them nice offices(or their own office), giving them a lunch budget, etc) as caring slightly more (or rather, not caring slightly less) about them.

Having been at an extremely cheap firm, I can say that there are certain levels at which I would take firm spending into account if for no other reason than as a reflection of financial stability. On the other hand, they were able to recruit a Yalie or so, so I guess it's true that at least some Yalies don't decide on that basis even if perhaps they should.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think lots of people (I sure did) translate a firm spending money on it's associates (giving them nice offices(or their own office), giving them a lunch budget, etc) as caring slightly more (or rather, not caring slightly less) about them.

Having been at an extremely cheap firm, I can say that there are certain levels at which I would take firm spending into account if for no other reason than as a reflection of financial stability. On the other hand, they were able to recruit a Yalie or so, so I guess it's true that at least some Yalies don't decide on that basis even if perhaps they should.

You don't seriously consider how many times a firm takes you out to lunch during your a SA as a reflection of firm stability do you?

user outed for anon abuse

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You don't seriously consider how many times a firm takes you out to lunch during your a SA as a reflection of firm stability do you?

When they have an 8 week program, pay under market, cancel planned outings because the budget ran out, and send out an email at 10:00 one morning (with 2 weeks left) saying they will no longer cover lunches (effective that day), then yeah it raises some questions, especially when they start refusing to cover callback expenses. V50-100 firm, BTW.

Return to “Legal Employment”