Best legal writing book for judge + SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Best legal writing book for judge + SA?

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:18 am

Any recommendations for a good legal writing book that would benefit me for both judicial externship + actual practice. I am thinking something fairly remedial, but not necessarily remedial for structure of the legal arguments (I don't need an ELI5 for IRAC). I was thinking Plain English For Lawyers.

Ideally I would like to just get one text and spend some time over the break committing it to memory.

I do not have the best grammar, and I do sometimes fail to keep impromptu legal writing nice and coherent. Basically, a book that makes an average writer better.

Thanks guys!

deebanger

Bronze

Re: Best legal writing book for judge + SA?

Post by deebanger » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:35 am

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:13 am

deebanger wrote:.
?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:52 am

For the externship, try the federal judicial writing manual (they'll have some in chambers).

"A Curmudgeon's Guide to Law" has a great chapter on legal writing in the firm setting.

heartbreaker

New

Post by heartbreaker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Garner/Scalia's Making Your Case or Garner's The Winning Brief is great for persuasive writing tips. Posner's new book, Reflections on Judging, is good for advice on drafting judicial opinions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:21 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Any recommendations for a good legal writing book that would benefit me for both judicial externship + actual practice. I am thinking something fairly remedial, but not necessarily remedial for structure of the legal arguments (I don't need an ELI5 for IRAC). I was thinking Plain English For Lawyers.

Ideally I would like to just get one text and spend some time over the break committing it to memory.

I do not have the best grammar, and I do sometimes fail to keep impromptu legal writing nice and coherent. Basically, a book that makes an average writer better.

Thanks guys!
A judge recommended this to me: http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/writing/

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Professor Volokh's book is great for academic writing.

For litigation oriented writing, I'd suggest Bryan Garner's "Legal writing in plain english" and "the winning brief: 100 Tips for Persuasive Briefing in Trial and Appellate Courts." In addition to both the Scalia/Garner books.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”