Random call.. Prelim Interview? When to follow up..

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Random call.. Prelim Interview? When to follow up..

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Hey guys. I had applied to a law firm a couple weeks back and, while studying for finals, received a phone call from the Office Administrator (to whom I had sent my resume, transcript, etc.). She spoke with me for 10-15 minutes about how I'm finding the semester, what type of law I'm wanting to practice, how I heard about their firm, etc. It began to seem more like a preliminary interview.. After the conversation, she sent me a confirmatory email (see below) in which she requested some writing samples from me.

My primary question is whether the office administrator is calling all applicants or just some of them in particular.

Secondly, the confirmatory email was sent to me roughly a week ago. Should I follow up with her?

Thanks.

Confirmatory email:

Hello lockfast:

It was a pleasure speaking with you today regarding the law clerk position with our firm. As we discussed, this is a full-time position during the summer and part-time of 15-20 hours per week during the school year. Upon graduation, there may also be an opportunity for our law clerks to continue full-time and build a career with the firm.

Please send me a couple of your best writing samples. We will be reviewing writing samples and contacting candidates for interviews over the next couple of weeks. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your interest in law firm.

Good luck with your exams!

Anonymous User

Re: Random call.. Prelim Interview? When to follow up..

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:32 pm

There's really no way to know if she is contacting everyone or just some applicants.

And when you say follow up, I assume you've already sent in your writing samples? If not I would send in your writing sample (maybe two of them) ASAP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:35 pm

OP, here:

I sent in a couple writing samples just that afternoon. I'm just curious as to whether only potential candidates were called or all. I guess it's anyone's guess, right?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Bump..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, here:

I sent in a couple writing samples just that afternoon. I'm just curious as to whether only potential candidates were called or all. I guess it's anyone's guess, right?

Correct. Just relax and if you don't hear in 2-3 weeks since that last e-mail then call following up and saying you're still interested

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Or even just call on the day of your last exam, say "Just finished exams and wanted to follow up and see whether the position is still open. If you'd like to schedule an interview blah blah blah."

Nothing wrong with being assertive, just don't cross the line into pest. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 pm

OP, here.

Finals ended last Friday. Should I still give the firm's office administrator a call/email?

On another, perhaps more pressing, note.. I received an offer today from a large DA's office. Is there a way I can use this offer to speed up the process? Mostly because I really want the firm job over the DA's office.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Bump.

Return to “Legal Employment”