Expectation at Holiday Party Reception Deal?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Expectation at Holiday Party Reception Deal?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 am

I'm not really clear on what these things are, but apparently more than a few firms are doing them for 1Ls. At the exact same type to boot

Is the expectation to show up on time and stay the whole time, or is more just make an appearance and say hi?

What I'm getting at is two firms right next door to each other both invites me, interested in both firms, would it make sense to RSVP to both or is that not an appropriate thing to do?

Neff

Re: Expectation at Holiday Party Reception Deal?

Postby Neff » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:23 am

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:50 am

Neff wrote:Stay as long or as short as you want. Eat, chat, look around, but don't expect much out of it. The best is probably you'll get to talk about how nice their office furniture looked, come OCI time. Also it is good practice for getting the whole networking/socializing/mingling with a drink in your hand trying not to look stoopid thing down (because you will be doing a whole lot of that).

Not entirely useless by any means, but it's not a big deal.

So following this, no issue to leave early/come late?

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:58 am

No issue at all to leave early or come late. I mean don't tell an attorney "Oh... gotta go, have to make it to competitor's party!", but feel free to sneak off whenever. 98% of the value is in picking up your name tag to indicate you showed up and being able to name drop an attorney or two to show genuine interest.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:08 am

2014 wrote:No issue at all to leave early or come late. I mean don't tell an attorney "Oh... gotta go, have to make it to competitor's party!", but feel free to sneak off whenever. 98% of the value is in picking up your name tag to indicate you showed up and being able to name drop an attorney or two to show genuine interest.

Also, general networking tip: when you get home that evening, send personalized emails to attorneys you had one-on-one conversations with, from both firms.

(If you're worried about your memory, make some notes on your phone the the names of the people you spoke with at the first firm and something you spoke about.)

Return to “Legal Employment”