WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjohnsobf
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby bjohnsobf » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:37 pm

this topic is legal employment?

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby wbrother » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:40 pm

bjohnsobf wrote:this topic is legal employment?

anon feature

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:47 pm

bjohnsobf wrote:this topic is legal employment?


Backsead mod thread is that way.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7317
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 pm

LOL this happened in my contracts class as well. Profs be mad lazy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:35 am

shock259 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a professor post a sample test online on the class twen page and then use that exact same exam for the final-people who didn't use the exam lost their minds and the dean got involved-banned the professor from teaching the course and gave kids the option to have the course applied towards a pass/fail credit. Btw the professor was a big law lawyer who just taught the class at night for whatever reason, point is not a tenured professor so that may have been why he/she got banned from teaching again.


I had the exact same thing happen, but the Dean just listened to everyone complaining and did nothing. The professor is still teaching. Not only did she use the sample exam she posted online previously, but she provided a model answer for it online. I did the sample test the day before the exam, so I basically just rewrote my answer on test day from memory/the model answer.

It was total bullshit.


My prof used last year's exam that he had posted on our old exams reserves. Not as bad as yours because he never gave us a model answer, but still sooo lazy of him. I'm sure the school won't do anything.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Fair game my ass. It arbitrarily rewards people who just happened to see this one practice exam.


I was only referring to it being fair to find the PowerPoints online.


Ah my apologies.


'sall good, homie.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby guano » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:40 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:A professor at my school (adjunct, VERY important in the local legal community) apparently took one of our exam questions from another prof's sample exam (available in our exam bank). I hadn't looked at the other prof's exams (I didn't find it helpful to do that unless there were literally no exams for the prof teaching my class), but a group of my classmates did. They decided the question was way too hard and there was no way the question on the exam would look like that, so they didn't actually prep the question. When they saw the exam they were PISSED.

The same semester, a prof at some T14 school did the same thing (used an exam question that had been available online somewhere) and got reamed on ATL and the school was trying to decide whether to have everyone retake the exam, or give P-F, or what. I don't know how it was resolved, but it seemed to be a big deal.

Happened last year at Fordham, when a tenured Con Law professor copied questions from another professor's old exams (and some students had done this)

It's probably quite common

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Its great to be a unfireable god.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:17 pm

The full story at Fordham: Professor A used professor B's questions from a prior exam. Professor B had handed this prior exam out to her class as a sample, so it made its way into the hands of many (but not all) students from Professor A's class.

At first the school responded to complaints by saying tough luck. After further complaints, the school decided to require that ALL students in Professor A's class retake the exam. Of course some students were dissatisfied with this outcome, so the school said that students could CHOOSE to retake the exam or not. This option was given AFTER grades had already been posted. Students in the three classes that did not get retake options then began to complain.

Fordham finally settled on the final, and most ridiculous, solution: after seeing their grades, students could retake the exam. However, the grade for this class would appear on the transcripts of all students in Professor A's class, BUT it would not be calculated into their GPA.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 am

Are law professors overworked or just lazy?

ETA I would say LOL Fordham but I could easily see my sps school doing the same thing
Last edited by 3|ink on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:The full story at Fordham: Professor A used professor B's questions from a prior exam. Professor B had handed this prior exam out to her class as a sample, so it made its way into the hands of many (but not all) students from Professor A's class.

At first the school responded to complaints by saying tough luck. After further complaints, the school decided to require that ALL students in Professor A's class retake the exam. Of course some students were dissatisfied with this outcome, so the school said that students could CHOOSE to retake the exam or not. This option was given AFTER grades had already been posted. Students in the three classes that did not get retake options then began to complain.

Fordham finally settled on the final, and most ridiculous, solution: after seeing their grades, students could retake the exam. However, the grade for this class would appear on the transcripts of all students in Professor A's class, BUT it would not be calculated into their GPA.


I do not get why their is not professional consequences for this. This class costs students 8-10k each. Bu the professor can screw that all up and not get anymore than a slap on the wrist.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby guano » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:55 am

jarofsoup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The full story at Fordham: Professor A used professor B's questions from a prior exam. Professor B had handed this prior exam out to her class as a sample, so it made its way into the hands of many (but not all) students from Professor A's class.

At first the school responded to complaints by saying tough luck. After further complaints, the school decided to require that ALL students in Professor A's class retake the exam. Of course some students were dissatisfied with this outcome, so the school said that students could CHOOSE to retake the exam or not. This option was given AFTER grades had already been posted. Students in the three classes that did not get retake options then began to complain.

Fordham finally settled on the final, and most ridiculous, solution: after seeing their grades, students could retake the exam. However, the grade for this class would appear on the transcripts of all students in Professor A's class, BUT it would not be calculated into their GPA.


I do not get why their is not professional consequences for this. This class costs students 8-10k each. Bu the professor can screw that all up and not get anymore than a slap on the wrist.

$6k-$8k, depending on hie many credits they took
($25k per semester, which us 12-16 credits. That class is 4 credits)

The professor is 75 years old and an authority on his subject

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:12 pm

eh, who really cares that they copy it. sure it could be considered plagiarism but i dont see how this is an different than those who dont do practice exams or do all of them when the same professor recycles their own questions nearly verbatim. its just part of the game. students are so whiny.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:53 pm

This shit really pisses me off and I am not even in law school anymore. Designing exam questions and grading them is literally the only real "work" these privileged snobs have to do all year and they constantly bitch and moan about how they don't want to do it. And every single semester this exact same thing happens at least once and makes it to ATL (and we of course do not know how many instances don't make it to ATL).

Seriously, it is not too hard to tweak the facts of your prior exams and throw in a couple of new issues each year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Happened at NSU in south florida. Prof copied a whole question from a glannon supp. Admin refused to do anything about it. Such BS. TRANSFER the fuck outa that school. That was my solution and I couldn't be happier.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 pm

stillwater wrote:eh, who really cares that they copy it. sure it could be considered plagiarism but i dont see how this is an different than those who dont do practice exams or do all of them when the same professor recycles their own questions nearly verbatim. its just part of the game. students are so whiny.


I am not sure how your comments make sense in the real world where people pay 150k for this shit and their jobs depend on their GPA.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:08 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
stillwater wrote:eh, who really cares that they copy it. sure it could be considered plagiarism but i dont see how this is an different than those who dont do practice exams or do all of them when the same professor recycles their own questions nearly verbatim. its just part of the game. students are so whiny.


I am not sure how your comments make sense in the real world where people pay 150k for this shit and their jobs depend on their GPA.


because its really like any other fortuitous event that leads to an edge. its just the way the world works. you are asking for a state of the world that makes things more control than they actually are.

nucky thompson
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby nucky thompson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:09 am

stillwater wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:
stillwater wrote:eh, who really cares that they copy it. sure it could be considered plagiarism but i dont see how this is an different than those who dont do practice exams or do all of them when the same professor recycles their own questions nearly verbatim. its just part of the game. students are so whiny.


I am not sure how your comments make sense in the real world where people pay 150k for this shit and their jobs depend on their GPA.


because its really like any other fortuitous event that leads to an edge. its just the way the world works. you are asking for a state of the world that makes things more control than they actually are.



Hmmm . . . Stop trying to be a tough guy. This is not, and should not, be part of the "game" because this is not merely a fortuitous event that leads to an advantage (like guessing the right topics to study or like studying a professors old exams that are recycled).

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby guano » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:11 am

Luck makes such a big fucking difference in life. Don't discount it




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.