WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:47 pm

So apparently a prof at my school copied his exam verbatim from the contract exam hypos on google...of course many of the 1Ls in the class had practiced these hypos...so there is a shitstorm coming from the students who didnt...apparently the administration is conducting an investigation. TBF I go to a TTT.

*I know this is in the wrong forum, but I needed anon. If a mod feels this is an inappropriate use I will delete.

daryldixon

Re: WTF Prof Copies Exam From Google

Postby daryldixon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So apparently a prof at my school copied his exam verbatim from the contract exam hypos on google...of course many of the 1Ls in the class had practiced these hypos...so there is a shitstorm coming from the students who didnt...apparently the administration is conducting an investigation. TBF I go to a TTT.

*I know this is in the wrong forum, but I needed anon. If a mod feels this is an inappropriate use I will delete.

Out the TTT if you are gonna be anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:29 pm

In fairness I'm pretty sure Charlie Nesson did this a few years back.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Just curious what you mean by "on google." I assume the hypos were something easily found by googling for such things? But what site were they actually from?

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm so glad my tax dollars go to supporting loans that pay the salaries of such estimable scholars.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:06 pm

send this story to ATL

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:27 pm

mr.hands wrote:send this story to ATL

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:40 pm

wbrother wrote:

+1

I already thought about it...Im trying to get a little more info first. Like which sites were copied

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Far less critical than online exam questions: My Corporations prof refused to share most of her ppt slides with us, but when googling around I found the exact same slides and (even more she didn't use) on DocStocs. They were attributed to the textbook author, so I guess that makes her use of them more kosher (and possibly even an approved use), but still obnoxious.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:21 am

I think they'd need more info. Like what school. Then again it is ATL.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:27 am

3|ink wrote:

I think they'd need more info. Like what school. Then again it is ATL.

ATL is TTT.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:29 pm

If you're anon, tell us the school. This sucks but it's not unheard of. Y'all will probably have to take a new exam.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Far less critical than online exam questions: My Corporations prof refused to share most of her ppt slides with us, but when googling around I found the exact same slides and (even more she didn't use) on DocStocs. They were attributed to the textbook author, so I guess that makes her use of them more kosher (and possibly even an approved use), but still obnoxious.

If it's online, it's fair game. If the exam is open book and she didn't specifically exclude them, also fair game.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:55 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Far less critical than online exam questions: My Corporations prof refused to share most of her ppt slides with us, but when googling around I found the exact same slides and (even more she didn't use) on DocStocs. They were attributed to the textbook author, so I guess that makes her use of them more kosher (and possibly even an approved use), but still obnoxious.

If it's online, it's fair game. If the exam is open book and she didn't specifically exclude them, also fair game.

Agreed. Some students had the good sense to prepare by googling exams from other sources. Not surprisingly, they were more prepared for the exam. Unless there was some rule that students couldn't use any supplements or aids other than those specified by the professor, then everyone had the same opportunity. Where's the unfairness?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Fair game my ass. It arbitrarily rewards people who just happened to see this one practice exam.

sumner

Postby sumner » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Fair game my ass. It arbitrarily rewards people who just happened to see this one practice exam.

this.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:52 pm

That's the kind of stuff that happens when you have virtually no accountability. That, or similar incidents, have happened at my school as well. And to my knowledge they weren't publicized at all.

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Fair game my ass. It arbitrarily rewards people who just happened to see this one practice exam.

So what if a professor uses a hypo that they discuss in their own publications?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:

If the publication was not part of the assigned course material, then I think it's unfair.

My K professor told us a story about an exam question given by a fellow professor at another law school. This professor reproduced an exam question and answer from a Glannon supplement. The original part of the question consisted of a single sentence: "Identify the flaws in the model answer." It's an interesting twist on the theme.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:

More fair, but still unfair. Unless it was on the reading list. Also it depends how close the hypo was.

Copying it outright is lazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:19 pm

I had a professor post a sample test online on the class twen page and then use that exact same exam for the final-people who didn't use the exam lost their minds and the dean got involved-banned the professor from teaching the course and gave kids the option to have the course applied towards a pass/fail credit. Btw the professor was a big law lawyer who just taught the class at night for whatever reason, point is not a tenured professor so that may have been why he/she got banned from teaching again.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:33 pm

A professor at my school (adjunct, VERY important in the local legal community) apparently took one of our exam questions from another prof's sample exam (available in our exam bank). I hadn't looked at the other prof's exams (I didn't find it helpful to do that unless there were literally no exams for the prof teaching my class), but a group of my classmates did. They decided the question was way too hard and there was no way the question on the exam would look like that, so they didn't actually prep the question. When they saw the exam they were PISSED.

The same semester, a prof at some T14 school did the same thing (used an exam question that had been available online somewhere) and got reamed on ATL and the school was trying to decide whether to have everyone retake the exam, or give P-F, or what. I don't know how it was resolved, but it seemed to be a big deal.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 pm

I was only referring to it being fair to find the PowerPoints online.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a professor post a sample test online on the class twen page and then use that exact same exam for the final-people who didn't use the exam lost their minds and the dean got involved-banned the professor from teaching the course and gave kids the option to have the course applied towards a pass/fail credit. Btw the professor was a big law lawyer who just taught the class at night for whatever reason, point is not a tenured professor so that may have been why he/she got banned from teaching again.

I had the exact same thing happen, but the Dean just listened to everyone complaining and did nothing. The professor is still teaching. Not only did she use the sample exam she posted online previously, but she provided a model answer for it online. I did the sample test the day before the exam, so I basically just rewrote my answer on test day from memory/the model answer.

It was total bullshit.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:57 am

TTRansfer wrote:

I was only referring to it being fair to find the PowerPoints online.

Ah my apologies.

Return to “Legal Employment”