Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
emptyflare
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby emptyflare » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Current 2L here who has been invited to attend an NHL hockey game with a member of the recruiting committee/partner of the firm I'll be summering at. The partner's family will also be attending and my wife has been invited. What do you guys think the appropriate attire should be in attending such a game? Don't want to go all out jersey + jeans but don't want to come off as too stuffy either! (Have not met this particular partner before, but I expressed interest in the hockey team and hence the tickets).

sumner
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby sumner » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:29 pm

do you have a hat with the team logo on it? I would dress up slightly (like a button down and something other than jeans) but then wear a hat. I think that strikes a balance.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby kwais » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Just hedge your bets. Jersey and tear away pants over slacks, polo shirt and blazer. Then you have three possible outfits.

User avatar
emptyflare
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby emptyflare » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:36 pm

sumner wrote:do you have a hat with the team logo on it? I would dress up slightly (like a button down and something other than jeans) but then wear a hat. I think that strikes a balance.


That would be perfect . . . I do have a hat, but it's a somewhat recent championship hat that has a flat bill and would make me look, sadly, ridiculous. Not cool enough to pull it off; I need the super nerdy regular hats.

kwais wrote:Just hedge your bets. Jersey and tear away pants over slacks, polo shirt and blazer. Then you have three possible outfits.


tear away pants = making an impression that at least isn't boring/keepin' it memorable

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:43 pm

emptyflare wrote:That would be perfect . . . I do have a hat, but it's a somewhat recent championship hat that has a flat bill and would make me look, sadly, ridiculous. Not cool enough to pull it off; I need the super nerdy regular hats.

Have you really never bent a hat bill before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8PijumsIso

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13912
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Why won't the flat bill thing just die? It looks so retarded.

Sweater and khakis? Polo shirt? Buy a decent hat at the game when you slip away to use the bathroom?

User avatar
Hipster but Athletic
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Is it a Blackhawks game? If so, I'd dress up like a fat stupid bandwagoning asshole, if you want to fit in.

Pokemon
Posts: 1857
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby Pokemon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Sweater, button up shirt, pants that are not jeans nor suit-like.

User avatar
emptyflare
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby emptyflare » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:57 pm

I think button-up + sweater + khakis or slacks is the way that I'll go in addition to curving the brim of the flat-billed hat. Much appreciated folks! 8)

[Edited for clarity]

masterbrowski
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby masterbrowski » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:27 pm

If you are sitting in the stands: Jeans + sweater/jersey/flannel + clean shoes. If he's taking you to the firm's box seats, there could be clients there, so you wear business casual.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:03 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5682
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby BVest » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:06 pm

When in doubt, Seinfeld.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Bedsole wrote:
emptyflare wrote:That would be perfect . . . I do have a hat, but it's a somewhat recent championship hat that has a flat bill and would make me look, sadly, ridiculous. Not cool enough to pull it off; I need the super nerdy regular hats.

Have you really never bent a hat bill before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8PijumsIso

JFC. how is a video about bending a fucking hat bill over three minutes long?

User avatar
emptyflare
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby emptyflare » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:44 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
Hipster but Athletic wrote:Is it a Blackhawks game? If so, I'd dress up like a fat stupid bandwagoning asshole, if you want to fit in.


Under-appreciated.


Oof. definitely not a Blackhawks game.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2080
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:53 am

TLS: never not over-analyzing shit.

masterbrowski
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby masterbrowski » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:00 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:TLS: never not over-analyzing shit.



But what if he wears jeans and they don't like it? These are important issues.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2080
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:28 am

masterbrowski wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:TLS: never not over-analyzing shit.



But what if he wears jeans and they don't like it? These are important issues.



What if he's the only one wearing business casual and they don't like it?

masterbrowski
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby masterbrowski » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:47 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
masterbrowski wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:TLS: never not over-analyzing shit.



But what if he wears jeans and they don't like it? These are important issues.



What if he's the only one wearing business casual and they don't like it?


What if he got a beer at the game and they fired him?

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2080
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:15 am

masterbrowski wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
masterbrowski wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:TLS: never not over-analyzing shit.



But what if he wears jeans and they don't like it? These are important issues.



What if he's the only one wearing business casual and they don't like it?


What if he got a beer at the game and they fired him?


What if life is too short and we shouldn't give a fuck about any of this stupid bullshit?

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:39 am

ironed khaki's (or other non-jean/casual pants) and polo. Wear a hat of the team. And if you don't have one, go buy one.

TooOld4This
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:32 am

Jeans are fine as long as they are nice jeans. Wear a non-white button down or sweater or a half-zip fleece. If you wear a polo, make sure to have a jacket.

Unless you actually follow hockey and the team, do not get a hat. Wearing a team hat will invite questions and discussions that you probably will look like an idiot trying to answer if you aren't a fan.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby stillwater » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:30 am

hockey is a prole sport. partner will probably show up wearing a hockey helmet.

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: Attending Hockey Game With Partner--dress code?!

Postby wbrother » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:14 am

masterbrowski wrote:What if he got a beer at the game and they fired him?

:lol:




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.