1L JAG Internship (Generally/Marines)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L JAG Internship (Generally/Marines)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Anyone that would be able to give/point to a synopsis on what this kind of internship would actually entail?

Would you be precluded by not having military experience or anything on your resume to signal that you have a legitimate interest in military?

chicubs88

Re: 1L JAG Internship (Generally/Marines)

Postby chicubs88 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:49 pm

If you're interested in the Marine Corps, the only way you would be able to do an internship 1L year is if you're already a commissioned officer prior to starting law school. If Marine JAG is what you're shooting for, talk to your nearest OSO about the process. If you get selected, you could go to Officer Candidate School 1L summer, and then you would have internship possibilities for 2L summer. The Marines differ from the other branches when it comes to JAG; you are considered a line officer, so you have to go through all of the regular training. To my knowledge, the USMC doesn't have an internship program for civilians.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm

chicubs88 wrote:If you're interested in the Marine Corps, the only way you would be able to do an internship 1L year is if you're already a commissioned officer prior to starting law school. If Marine JAG is what you're shooting for, talk to your nearest OSO about the process. If you get selected, you could go to Officer Candidate School 1L summer, and then you would have internship possibilities for 2L summer. The Marines differ from the other branches when it comes to JAG; you are considered a line officer, so you have to go through all of the regular training. To my knowledge, the USMC doesn't have an internship program for civilians.

Was unaware of this, odd considering they have open interviews at my school (New England t14).

Thanks for the heads up though. Any insight into the other branches as a 1L then? It does seem like it would be an interesting internship and (presumably) you would get experience around a lot of litigation, but I'd love to hear some anecdotes or any information really.

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I interned with the Navy JAG Corps during my 1L summer this past year. I have no military background and I don't think that hurt me in the application process or during the internship. The internship was generally good although I didn't get to do as much writing as I was hoping to do. At our base, there were two interns (myself being one of them) in the Defense Office which is essentially the public defender of the Navy. I primarily worked on cases defending sailors at admin boards and courts-martial. My work generally included writing memos on legal issues for upcoming cases and interviewing clients and witnesses. The rest of the interns worked in Trial Shop/Legal Assistance which is essentially the prosecutors of the Navy with a legal aid office for sailors and their families. I enjoyed my summer and really liked the JAG's I worked with but realized JAG and military life wasn't for me.

Feel free to pm me for more info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:I interned with the Navy JAG Corps during my 1L summer this past year. I have no military background and I don't think that hurt me in the application process or during the internship. The internship was generally good although I didn't get to do as much writing as I was hoping to do. At our base, there were two interns (myself being one of them) in the Defense Office which is essentially the public defender of the Navy. I primarily worked on cases defending sailors at admin boards and courts-martial. My work generally included writing memos on legal issues for upcoming cases and interviewing clients and witnesses. The rest of the interns worked in Trial Shop/Legal Assistance which is essentially the prosecutors of the Navy with a legal aid office for sailors and their families. I enjoyed my summer and really liked the JAG's I worked with but realized JAG and military life wasn't for me.

Thanks for that! Let me know if you'd prefer a PM, but I figured if it's all the same to you, others on the board may be interested as well.

Was the group you got put into random, or had you expressed interest for one side or the other at some point in the interview or later on?

Since you decided that JAG was not for you, did you have any trouble explaining either why you did it in the first place, or why you were not interested during OCI/firm interviews?

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:I interned with the Navy JAG Corps during my 1L summer this past year. I have no military background and I don't think that hurt me in the application process or during the internship. The internship was generally good although I didn't get to do as much writing as I was hoping to do. At our base, there were two interns (myself being one of them) in the Defense Office which is essentially the public defender of the Navy. I primarily worked on cases defending sailors at admin boards and courts-martial. My work generally included writing memos on legal issues for upcoming cases and interviewing clients and witnesses. The rest of the interns worked in Trial Shop/Legal Assistance which is essentially the prosecutors of the Navy with a legal aid office for sailors and their families. I enjoyed my summer and really liked the JAG's I worked with but realized JAG and military life wasn't for me.

Thanks for that! Let me know if you'd prefer a PM, but I figured if it's all the same to you, others on the board may be interested as well.

Was the group you got put into random, or had you expressed interest for one side or the other at some point in the interview or later on?

Since you decided that JAG was not for you, did you have any trouble explaining either why you did it in the first place, or why you were not interested during OCI/firm interviews?

Totally fine posting here. The group I got put into was random. On the application they will ask for your Top 3 Locations (not all Navy Bases have the JAG internship program so the application will tell you which ones do) and I think I got my third choice which wasn't a big deal since they were all close together anyway. I just got an email with the offer saying I've been offered a position at X base in the Defense Office at that base. Also, the weird thing is there is no interview for the internship. You'll need a letter of rec and short personal statement but the selections are done by the same JAG Board in DC that selects applicants for the real JAG Corps.

I went through OCI in August and will be a summer associate at a big firm in my preferred market. I don't think it hurt me in anyway since most interviewers were genuinely interested in what I did since most people (including lawyers) don't have much of an idea of what JAGs do. My attitude about it was generally that I thought it would be a great 1L summer job but I knew I probably wasn't interested in ever actually going into the JAG Corps because it's mainly criminal law (which I don't like), military life/moving around all the time isn't for me, and I'm very interested in working at your firm for XYZ reasons. I think that came across well and I don't remember having any interviewers give me pushback on that note. I think, all things being equal, it was an asset since it was something really unique to talk about interviews.

A few others things people might want to hear....If you do the internship you have a MUCH better chance of actually getting selected for the JAG Corps should you apply later on (just doing the internship gives you a huge point boost and then you'll likely have a letter of rec from the commanding officer you worked for which is big too). Should you be interested in applying to the JAG Corps, you can do your interview for that during the summer at your office which is a boost because the people interviewing you know you and have worked with you. Our office did a pretty good job of showing us what the Navy was all about so we got tours of aircraft carriers, LHD's, the Navy Seal base, submarines, and cool stuff like that. We also had to do physical training with the office once a week.

Hope this helps and if anyone has any questions post here and I'll be happy to answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks for the detailed reply brother, very helpful!

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:20 pm

How competitive are these positions. Based on your summer plans for next year I am assuming you are either at a top school or the top of your class. Was this representative of all of the interns? If you are particularly interested in one of the sides would you be able to specify that? I'm interested in JAG yet I am also very interested in public defending and wouldn't want to ruin my PD cred by working pain a DA type position if I decide JAG isn't for me.
Last edited by samcro_op on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:44 pm

samcro_op wrote:How competitive are these positions. Based on your summer plans for next year I am assuming you are either at a top school or the top of your class. Was this representative of all of the interns? If you are particularly interested in one of the sides would you be able to specify that? I'm interested in JAG yet I am also very interested in public defending and wouldn't want to ruin my PD cred by working pain a DA type position if I decide JAG isn't for me.

Edit. Never mind, just realized I can never do this because of a bull shit inaccurate MH diagnosis.

I think the position is fairly competitive--I remember the application said they only take 25 interns throughout the whole country. However, my first semester grades weren't great. I was median at a Top 30 school when I applied and had a great second semester which I think is why I'm gonna be summering at a big firm. However, I interned with another person from my school and I know she had stellar grades. No idea about the rest of the interns grades--One came from a Top 20, another was from the local regional school, and then another came from a school I'd never heard of. I really think they do look at the whole package and are looking for well-rounded individuals.

You could probably specify in your personal statement that you're interested in defense work but I don't know if that would matter when they place the interns.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Awww yiiis, Marines

I went from undergrad, to Marine Corps enlisted, to law school. Joining the Marines for JAG is pretty much the same for joining the Marines for either enlisted or officer, in that you don't get any additional benefit, aside from having bragging rights. Don't get me wrong, the bragging rights are not insignificant -- I've had interviewers with DA Offices remark how I'm either courageous or foolhardy for joining the Corps.

The point is, really consider why you'd want to join the Marine Corps Jag, as opposed to any other branch. First, as mentioned, you go through the same TBS as all the other officers, including those gunning for infantry or Ricky Recon. This is in accordance with the credo "Every Marine a rifleman." Every officer is expected to be able to lead infantry Marines, even if they're supply. Whether that's feasible, realistic, or necessary is besides the point. Other branches go through an introductory customs and courtesies crash course, but not the same training as the line officers.

If you get assigned to an infantry battalion, you will be expected to go through the same training as them, although reserved to the duties of the HQ Battalion. All branches are withdrawing from overseas deployments, but there is still a chance you'd deploy -- either on a MEU, or imagine what the Marines thought their chances of deploying were 9/10/11.

Just tell them Chesty Puller sent ya. Or Opha Mae Johnson.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:22 pm

samcro_op wrote:How competitive are these positions. Based on your summer plans for next year I am assuming you are either at a top school or the top of your class. Was this representative of all of the interns? If you are particularly interested in one of the sides would you be able to specify that? I'm interested in JAG yet I am also very interested in public defending and wouldn't want to ruin my PD cred by working pain a DA type position if I decide JAG isn't for me.

w/r/t other branches, the Army does not have a 1L summer internship program anymore and did not pay their 2L interns last year, although that may change this year. I really think they subscribe to the "whole person" approach as much as possible, meaning the people selected aren't necessarily at the top of the class but obviously a good GPA helps. Last year, they selected 75 with 25 alternates with over 1000 applicants, but with the sequester, I think only about 65 of the entire 100 ended up interning.

I know that with the Army internship at least, once you were selected, you were given the option to choose which locations you wanted to work at and some of the posts included a TDS (trial defense service) office option. If you have a particular area of interest, they will do their best to accommodate you in that regard but you have to remember that as an officer they will put you wherever they need you and that could be prosecuting, defending, in legal services etc. I know that the non-TDS interns were allowed to rotate between the practice areas every couple of weeks during the internship. If you DO choose to do the TDS route in the internship, then they will probably keep you out of the other areas that they offer for COI purposes, so keep that in mind as well.

You should definitely take a look at the Military Law thread. There are over 200 pages of great information there and I know that current and former JAGs post in there on occasion.

Return to “Legal Employment”