DOJ Honors 2014 EOIR-OCIJ Finalists Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2014 EOIR-OCIJ Finalists

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:51 pm

bsahni wrote:I wonder if alternates got a different e-mail than first round picks…

Did everybody's read like this:

Congratulations! You have been selected as a finalist by the Executive Office for Immigration Review, Office of the Chief Immigration Judge (OCIJ). OCIJ selects a robust number of finalists due to the need to staff geographically dispersed Immigration Courts. Some finalists are geographically limited (i.e., are only willing to work in a few specific locations). As EOIR issues offers, it attempts to allow the candidate to select a location from his or her top choices geographically. It is an unfortunate reality that some locations are perceived as more desirable than others, so it will not take long before EOIR-OCIJ reaches a candidate near the top of its list who is only willing to go to one or two cities which another candidate already selected. At that point, the candidate becomes an alternate for those two cities. Due to the guidelines relating to the timing of offers specified by the National Association of Law Placement, it is not unusual for EOIR-OCIJ to wait two weeks after issuing an offer only to receive a declination; then issue an offer to another candidate, wait another two weeks, and again receive a declination; thus requiring OCIJ to reach out to a third candidate. This means that the hiring process for EOIR-OCIJ can be quite lengthy. To the extent that candidates respond to offers more quickly, the process can be expedited. If you have a deadline relating to another offer and need to ascertain your status with OCIJ, please contact EOIR directly. Good luck to all!
That's what mine looked like.
-C16

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:00 pm

seems risky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:57 pm

I just wanted to point this out because I thought it was interesting. Last year it looked like most of the Finalist designations were done on November 15. But, then people didn't start getting offers until November 29th. That's two weeks. Anyone else think that might be the case this year - two weeks after becoming finalist for EOIR OCIJ offers will come out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote: does anyone else think its risky to contact EOIR saying you have another offer - I mean, I have another offer but it's an awful offer and really my last resort. but - the email seemed to imply you could use that offer to get information about your status.
Same --- another offer that I'm not in love with. I'm hesitant to call, but if choice #2 starts getting antsy, I might have to.

Stats:
-T14
-no idea about class rank at this point, but decent GPA
-LR (ed board)
-no prior EOIR experience
-status has changed to finalist
-no word from references about anything

Any ideas about how many finalists there are? If they're planning to fill 70 spots, I'm guessing like 90 finalists, right? ...

-CS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to point this out because I thought it was interesting. Last year it looked like most of the Finalist designations were done on November 15. But, then people didn't start getting offers until November 29th. That's two weeks. Anyone else think that might be the case this year - two weeks after becoming finalist for EOIR OCIJ offers will come out?
I really, really hope not. Deana said the next few days, so I'm telling myself that so I won't go crazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: does anyone else think its risky to contact EOIR saying you have another offer - I mean, I have another offer but it's an awful offer and really my last resort. but - the email seemed to imply you could use that offer to get information about your status.
Same --- another offer that I'm not in love with. I'm hesitant to call, but if choice #2 starts getting antsy, I might have to.

Stats:
-T14
-no idea about class rank at this point, but decent GPA
-LR (ed board)
-no prior EOIR experience
-status has changed to finalist
-no word from references about anything

Any ideas about how many finalists there are? If they're planning to fill 70 spots, I'm guessing like 90 finalists, right? ...

-CS
So I was reading the thread from 2013, and according to that thread, there are three finalists per spot: one offer and two alternates.

I have no idea if that number is accurate, but if it is, it's a bit of a downer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
So I was reading the thread from 2013, and according to that thread, there are three finalists per spot: one offer and two alternates.

If that's correct then everyone was made a finalist. There are only 70 spots open and just over 200 interviewed. If there were 210 interviews then that's the ratio you described for first round and alternates. I still haven't seen anyone say that they were not turned a finalist under EOIR. So - you may be correct. And, I agree that would be a bummer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Where are you reading this status update? I got the finalist email but I'm not sure if that just means I'm waiting for an offer or am an alternate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:01 pm

No one knows whether they are an alternate or getting an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:09 pm

I read from previous posts that if your references are contacted it means you will get an offer. Remember that the process goes until February.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I read from previous posts that if your references are contacted it means you will get an offer. Remember that the process goes until February.
Have anyone's references been contacted?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I read from previous posts that if your references are contacted it means you will get an offer. Remember that the process goes until February.
Have anyone's references been contacted?
Not to my knowledge. No one had posted here or on the other forum that their references had been contacted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If that's correct then everyone was made a finalist. There are only 70 spots open and just over 200 interviewed. If there were 210 interviews then that's the ratio you described for first round and alternates. I still haven't seen anyone say that they were not turned a finalist under EOIR. So - you may be correct. And, I agree that would be a bummer.
Making everyone a finalist defeats the purpose of even having finalists. Also, Deana said they would be adding more people throughout the day, and e-mailed finalists. It all implies that some people didn't get it. There are probably only like 6-7 of us on the forum who are for EOIR, it isn't like we are exactly a representative sample.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are probably only like 6-7 of us on the forum who are for EOIR, it isn't like we are exactly a representative sample.
Having mulled it over in the back of my head while willing the phone to ring, I take some solace from that observation. In any event, its almost 5:00 p.m. EST, and doesn't seem like offers will go out today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There are probably only like 6-7 of us on the forum who are for EOIR, it isn't like we are exactly a representative sample.
Having mulled it over in the back of my head while willing the phone to ring, I take some solace from that observation. In any event, its almost 5:00 p.m. EST, and doesn't seem like offers will go out today.
Same. I'm nervous that this will take a lot longer, just because even if not everyone is a finalist, it seems likely that no references have been contacted-- which could take awhile.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:57 am

another day - another wait. Then there's the weekend. Then, back to waiting. Cheers everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:04 pm

does anyone think offers will actually be extended today? i mean, references haven't been contacted, right? at least for anyone who has posted here or on the other forum. last year's process- it took weeks to extend offers. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone think offers will actually be extended today? i mean, references haven't been contacted, right? at least for anyone who has posted here or on the other forum. last year's process- it took weeks to extend offers. :(
I don't think offers will be extended today, or any time in the immediate future; unfortunately, Deana's prediction of a few days appears to be very unlikely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:16 pm

I was selected as a finalist last year as well. I forgot how utterly demoralizing it is to sit and wait...
From my experience last year, having your references checked was the definitive precursor to an offer. And having said that, none of my references have yet been contacted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was selected as a finalist last year as well. I forgot how utterly demoralizing it is to sit and wait...
From my experience last year, having your references checked was the definitive precursor to an offer. And having said that, none of my references have yet been contacted.
hey - just out of curiosity, in last year's process did you discover that anyone that interviewed was not then selected as a finalist? there's a bit of speculation in this year's thread that everyone that got interviewed became a finalist.

JLV41509

New

Post by JLV41509 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't know anyone last year who applied to EOIR. The only other person I know this year that's applied was also selected as a finalist

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was selected as a finalist last year as well. I forgot how utterly demoralizing it is to sit and wait...
Unfortunately, it seems that we'll be waiting for references to be contacted. Two weeks is starting to look like an optimistic estimate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Has anyone asked Deana about the finalists to positions ratio? That information was available for Tax finalists, I wonder if it is for OCIJ.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Unfortunately, it seems that we'll be waiting for references to be contacted. Two weeks is starting to look like an optimistic estimate.
Apparently one of my references was contacted yesterday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Apparently one of my references was contacted yesterday
That's great news!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”