What to bring to an interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to bring to an interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:04 pm

I applied for a job and submitted by resume, a cover letter, a writing sample, and my transcript. Now I have an interview with a partner and an associate. What should I be bringing to the interview? Just two copies of my resume?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: What to bring to an interview?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:07 pm

A folio (most people buy one from the school), a pen, and inside the folio a couple copies of resume and maybe a copy of your writing sample.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:56 pm

Bring a copy of everything except the cover letter. I got a CB once because during my screener the associate said they forgot to send my writing sample over from the main office and I pulled it out of my folio. He asked about it and it turns out the writing sample was a memo I wrote to an associate at my old firm who was a really good friend of my interviewer. It was basically auto-callback from that point on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Should your writing sample and/or transcript be printed on resume paper?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should your writing sample and/or transcript be printed on resume paper?

No. I don't think these days even your cover letter/resume have to be on resume paper, but a writing sample looks weird not on normal paper. (Transcript too.)

Murphy1022

Postby Murphy1022 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:08 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should your writing sample and/or transcript be printed on resume paper?

No. I don't think these days even your cover letter/resume have to be on resume paper, but a writing sample looks weird not on normal paper. (Transcript too.)

Really? I would think you would want all you materials to match so I put them all on resume paper. Not sure if thats the norm tho.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:10 am

Murphy1022 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Really? I would think you would want all you materials to match so I put them all on resume paper. Not sure if thats the norm tho.

I doubt it will make the slightest difference, but I always thought it looked odd when clerkship writing samples were submitted on resume paper - it's just so thick and stiff, it's just noticeable - and it was very uncommon. (But again, I doubt it's going to make/break you.)

Postby 2014 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 am

Murphy1022 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I know people who did it both ways with no apparent difference in results. If you already own the paper, I'd use it. If not, I'd just use printer paper.

Return to “Legal Employment”